shape
carat
color
clarity

Mahenge spinel pendant project

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have my little red devil with someone right now and the intent is to get a pendant made. My idea is a YG bezel sliding pendant with some scroll design on the side and milgrain around the bezel. However, the person discouraged me from the milgrain suggesting that the nice red from the spinel and the side scroll design is enough to attract the eye and the milgrain might just end up being too much.... he says that without the milgrain would make it look simple and clean.

What do you think? With or without milgrain? I will be wearing it on a YG thin cable chain.

See pics for my spinel and inspiration!

_15404.jpg

_15405.jpg

_15406.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I like milgrain. I think the first design would look more antique if it had milgrain, and it would be just a beautiful. I would put milgrain on everything, but that's just me. I like how it makes jewelry look more delicate when it is done well.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I'm a bit conflicted because I do like a clean look, but I've come to enjoy finely done milgrain much more lately. And I recognize your second pic showing the milgrain - I happen to have that pendant saved as one of my inspiration pics too :). So I know that the side has scrolls and is very pretty, but it looks really nice with the milgrain IMO.

So...I think if you like milgrain, you should get it. From the front it will look beautiful, and I don't think it will look too busy bc you won't even be able to the scrolls design from the front view.

You should take my opinion with a grain of salt bc I'm still very much an amateur with settings :). I do like your style though!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I go for milgrain too on this; it would make the setting less stark, in a way. It's all individual taste -- the jeweler's as well as yours, but you will be the one wearing it -- so your preference trumps his!

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think milgrain will go well with the scroll design since it is a softer, slightly more antique look. The scroll is for the side view so I don't see how that would be competing with the colour of the spinel, and the milgrain just completes the look.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results