shape
carat
color
clarity

Looks for ideas/ stones for a new project mother/daughter

wickowick

Rough_Rock
I have been lurking on Pricescope for many years and used the information to make better gift choices for my wife's jewelry collection. Thanks for all the help. I have finally signed up for an account for a new project that I need some assistance.

I have been thinking about this project for a couple of years and think now it the time to start pursuing it. I am thinking of a pair of rings, one for my wife, one for my daughter that are a matched pair. My daughter is 3 so her rong will be put up till she is old enough to wear it. I am most concerned with the stones at this point and am thinking of something that can be passed down in the family. I don't want any soft stones that are easily damaged. The ring will need to be able to be re-sized and was thinking about 3 stone rings but open to suggestions.

I was initially thinking about purple and yellow stones because the family is big supporters of LSU, but I wonder such pieces would be limiting on heirloom pieces. I know that whatever stones I pick, I am looking for quality stones, so let me hear your ideas...

Here are a couple of pieced that I have sourced the stones from information gain on here. I later had the the stones set.

dsc_0024.jpg

dsc_0028__small_.jpg

dsc_0030.jpg

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Looks for ideas/ stones for a new project mother/daughte

It's really cool to see what you made for your wife with the stuff you learned here! What are the centre stones of those rings?

What's your budget for the rings altogether? What settings are you thinking of? By telling us, other posters will be able to estimate how much $ will go to the centre stones. Then we can recommend specific species or gems.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Judging by the beauties you have already had made, you will undoubtedly end up with some lovely heirlooms. The logical choice would be spinel, sapphire and chrysoberyl - and with those stones you could come pretty close to LSU colors. :praise:

edited for typos

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ametrine, possibly ... you'd get both hues in one stone, and amethysts and citrines both wear fairly well. Just be sure to buy from a reputable cutter ... there is a surprising amount of synthetic amethyst and ametrine on the market.

P.S. - all three pieces are lovely, but the pendant is sheer perfection!

wickowick

Rough_Rock

I am not sure of the budget at this time. I would be looking at 6 stones, probably all custom cut so I know I am going to have some expense there. I will deal with sourcing the stone as step 1 and the rings as step 2...

The green stone is a 1.85 emerald cut tsavorite from Lapigems. It was set into a setting my local jeweler had on hand.

The purple stone is a 1.2 tanzanite cut by Jeff White. That was also set into a setting my local jeweler had on hand. Here is his picture of the stone.

1134.jpg

The pendant is a ~2.5 tourmaline cut by Daniel Stair, setting made by Brian Gavin with, I think, a .15 ct precision diamond cut above the gem. I designed the setting on this one with the help of Leslie. This piece was also my first step into any custom work and gem sourcing.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

Thanks for sharing your beautiful pieces with us.

What about classic pieces like colored gemstone studs, and a white diamond jackets? That way your daughter and wife can share gemstone studs.

wickowick

Rough_Rock

I want to stay away from earrings, I think the potential for them to get lost is much greater than rings.

Any leads on who might have good rough for cutting or will I need to find a cutter and have them source the stones?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results