shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking to find a loose ruby for engagement ring.

justinl101

Rough_Rock
I'm seeing so many different opinions that i'm a little intimidated. I'm looking to find something 1 carat circular ruby that has a darker red that wouldn't be considered pink. My budget isn't too good, but i'd really like to put a whole ring together for 1500-2000USD so many 1000-1500 for the stone if possible? I'm alright with it being heat treated as long as it is done in a way that doesn't affect its durability.

Also, my girlfriend is also fond of Sapphires as well, what kind of comparable sapphire stone could i get for a similar price point?

Please excuse me if i'm missing any key information, I'm still getting my toes wet!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd add that after you read the posted link by Minous, it might help to look around the "trusted vendor" loose stone websites for some inspiration. Just to give an idea of what pops out at you and what you aren't drawn to. Then do some comparing and see what is vs. isn't in your budget of the stones you like. I think that's a good way to start at the beginning--just kind of learning what it is you like, as not all of us have the same preferences as far as color shade, cut, etc goes.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just based on what rubies are costing these days, you would have better luck with say, a yellow, pink, or Montana sapphire in your budget. But her preference is what matters first and foremost

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure what color(s) your GF prefers in sapphires, but GemFix has a pretty 1.16ct Montana Sapphire, 6mm round, within budget...

gemfix_-_sapphire_montana_625_a.jpg

Montana Sapphire Round "Roulette" Cut
Weight: 1.16cts
Measurements: 6mm, depth 4.2mm
Clarity: VVS
Origin: Montana, USA
Enhancements: Heat only
Price: $ 1095.00
Order/Stock No.: sapphire_montana_625
Description: Beautiful and brilliant round. The color in N daylight is deep silvery turquoise, under incandescent the color is 50/50 blue and green. Excellent cut and clarity. (Cut by Andrew Gulij). Closest Pantone coated color card: 5473C & 5483C

http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_montana.html - top row, middle stone

And I agree with the other posters; I don't think your budget will stretch to a 1ct heat-only Ruby.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For your budget and if you are forgiving with colour and treatment, this one is round and $1K. Scroll all the way down and you'll find 547.
http://www.gemfix.com/ruby.html

ruby_547_a.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results