clarity

looking for yellow sapphire for engagement ring, please help

mcmsinger

Rough_Rock
Re: looking for yellow sapphire for engagement ring, please

fmartin5|1393966031|3627393 said:
i trully do appreciate your help.

No problem.

I just don't want you to get taken advantage of. Keep researching. Feel free to browse jewelers and ask questions too. But do not buy anything unless you are completely sure and do not feel pressured.

If any jeweler pressures you, do not give in. The best jewelers are those I've found to be the least pressuring.

mcmsinger

Rough_Rock

Explaining quality factors of all Types of Sapphires including Yellow Sapphire which you are interested in.

http://www.gia.edu/sapphire-quality-factor

"In specific color terms, yellow sapphires range from light to dark greenish yellow to orangy yellow with weak to intense color saturation. The finest yellow sapphire is yellow to orangy yellow with vivid saturation."

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wowsers talk about how to freak a poor newbie out...you make it sound like every single jeweller out there is completely untrustworthy. :roll:

OP I suggest you read the sticky thread - new to coloured stones at the top of this forum and do plenty of research before buying. We'd love to see the result so come back and show us! :wavey:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mcmsinger|1393967387|3627413 said:
Yellow sapphires are found with a higher rate of very good clarity compared to other sapphires. Therefore there is a higher expectation of clarity and clarity standards is less forgiving.
I'd like to ask for supporting evidence of higher expectation of clarity because my understanding is that eye clean is the standard. Corundum is considered a Type 2 gem where even a high quality stone only needs to be eye clean, not loupe clean, unlike a Type 1 gem.

If you want unheated yellow sapphire, look for strong color saturation. Do not buy a light color unheated yellow sapphire because they can fade due to excessive sunlight or heat.
Again, I am curious as to supporting evidence that a heated yellow sapphire will fade due to excessive exposure to sunlight. Strong colour saturation is a personal preference, but I agree that the trade deems strong saturation as highly desired and more expensive. Over the years here on PS, I've come to the realization that not everyone likes or wants top colour. The OP has not expressed what colour she likes or wants yet.

mcmsinger

Rough_Rock

Chrono,

I meant Unheated yellow sapphires can have a tendency to fade in color when exposed to direct sunlight.

I know of two accounts from two gemologists who verify that a unheated yellow sapphire can fade in color and a have bit of a reputation for doing so.

Here is one

"There's only the one but it was a bit of an involved story. A jeweller client of mine was looking for a guaranteed unheated yellow sapphire, not huge but respectably large. He was getting nowhere with the local gem dealers and I recommended a traveling dealer.

A stone was eventually found and it was then sent to me to recut so that it would fit the customers setting, a ring. I did say to the jeweller that I thought this was not a good idea in view of the reputation that some yellow's have for fading.

The jeweller explained that he had shown several treated sapphires to the customer and told her that they were stable but she was insisting that she have an untreated one, so he was just doing what was asked of him.

Needless to say it came back and bit him when the stone faded and she decided to sue everyone, the jeweller, the appraiser/gemmologist, the stone dealer and me!

Sadly the jeweller took the cheapest, easiest, quickest exit and settled out of court with her. I'm sure my testimony wouldn't have helped anyone's case...grin."

NOT all unheated yellow sapphires but some can and DO fade. A jeweler needs to be especially careful if you using a torch for a unheated yellow sapphire for setting or resizing.

mcmsinger

Rough_Rock

HotPozzum|1393969936|3627455 said:
Wowsers talk about how to freak a poor newbie out...you make it sound like every single jeweller out there is completely untrustworthy. :roll:

There is a lot of shady dealings. Too many to mention. There are only a few small number of jewelers I would trust. They are not hard to find. You just need to do some research.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mcmsinger|1393912671|3627065 said:
Clarity is very very important and highly valued in yellow sapphires. No less than VVS1 clarity for a top quality one. Try to shoot ideally for Internally Flawless if you can.

I disagree on that one. While a stone with lots of eye visible inclusions is likely to be less money than one without, I do not think there is much of a difference in price in a yellow sapphire graded VVS1 vs. IF. These stones are not upheld to the same clarity standards as diamonds, as most other colored stones are not. I would also like some inclusions in a sapphire, that also determine if the stone is natural and/or untreated. This is not always the case, and then further testing can be expensive.

While I know we're talking yellow sapphires, blue sapphires that exhibit some light silk inclusions, can be quite beautiful, especially in top color. This silk is a tell tale sign that the stone has not been heated to temperatures significant enough for diffusion, and some inclusions can yield a particular origin, which holds a premium for a sapphire.

Honestly, I would be quite worried about an internally flawless sapphire. Inclusions can be a tell tale sign if the stone is natural or synthetic. I would highly suspect a synthetic stone if it were flawless (loupe clean at the very least).

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: lookig for yellow sapphire for engagement ring, please h

fmartin, have you been able to identify a local goldsmith that you think you might like to work with, should you need (as seems likely) a custom mounting and/or a jeweler who has more interest in sapphires than that friend-of-a-friend? Any jeweler or "bench", who has good credit & trade credentials, can "memo in" sapphires from Pala Gems for you to see in real life at no cost to you.*

That, plus a trip to San Diego to visit GemFix(assuming you're still willing to make that jaunt) as marymm suggested early on, -- and maybe even Africa Gems (based in Mill Valley, CA, just north of San Francisco; the web site does not indicate whether they receive potential buyers in CA) -- could give you a nice start on seeing yellow sapphires in real life & getting a better sense of what colors & cuts are most appealing to you two (although I'm hoping others can suggest some, more convenient sources!). It may very well be that, e.g., what is deemed "top color" is not what most appeals to you two -- or looks best against the skin tone of the hand that will be wearing it every day.

Wishing you all the best, keep us posted!

p.s. thanks for the kind words, but there are many here,like Chrono et al., who have far more comprehensive knowledge than what my niches include. My passion is emeralds, but alas, the emeralds that appeal to me are now priced beyond my budget for discretionary spending. That's why I came to this forum last summer... to learn more about other colored stones & reputable vendors. And the CS forum has been great!! :))

* Memo stones are a form of consignment. The stones are sent to your local tradesperson; if you, or another customer, don't buy it or any of them (3 stones is a typical memo limit, but that can certainly vary) -- and if your local person doesn't wish to buy any of them for his/her own inventory -- the stones must be returned within X number of days.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

mcm, I'm reluctant to extrapolate from that Internet account that one should "not buy a light color unheated yellow sapphire because they can fade due to excessive sunlight or heat." That poster gave no clue as to the previous color of the faded sapphire, didn't explain why he thought it would prove problematic, other than "some yellows are prone to fading."

Plus, his intimation that treated stones are worry-free (The jeweller explained that he had shown several treated sapphires to the customer and told her that they were stable... )isn't illuminating. Irradiation is sure a form of treatment (altho' it can happen with Mother Nature,i.e., in the earth, before the stone was mined) & irradiation is the usual culprit blamed for fading in sapphires.

Think this is a handy little MJSA article on the potential pitfalls for jewelers working with sapphires and rubies that's useful for us consumers as well:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/ajm-corundum.htm

mcmsinger

Rough_Rock

MollyMalone|1393998407|3627749 said:
mcm, I'm reluctant to extrapolate from that Internet account that one should "not buy a light color unheated yellow sapphire because they can fade due to excessive sunlight or heat." That poster gave no clue as to the previous color of the faded sapphire, didn't explain why he thought it would prove problematic, other than "some yellows are prone to fading."

Plus, his intimation that treated stones are worry-free (The jeweller explained that he had shown several treated sapphires to the customer and told her that they were stable... )isn't illuminating. Irradiation is sure a form of treatment (altho' it can happen with Mother Nature,i.e., in the earth, before the stone was mined) & irradiation is the usual culprit blamed for fading in sapphires.

Think this is a handy little MJSA article on the potential pitfalls for jewelers working with sapphires and rubies that's useful for us consumers as well:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/ajm-corundum.htm

I had read another account of a gemologist say he wouldn't buy a unheated yellow sapphire due to a possibility of color fading. Unfortunately, I can't find it.

I also really don't think it's really too much of a concern and it probably may have to do with irradiation perhaps or it's only a small handful of stones with the problem that we probably can't explain.

Your probably right. It's likely maybe most likely irradiation.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MCM,
Again, I would like to request supporting evidence of higher expectation of clarity from reputable sources because my understanding is that eye clean is the standard. Corundum is considered a Type 2 gem where even a high quality stone only needs to be eye clean, not loupe clean or even internally flawless, unlike a Type 1 gem.

My apologies is not reading your post correctly that you meant an unheated yellow sapphire will fade under strong direct sunlight. My guess is that that particular yellow sapphire has most likely been irradiated, either naturally or by a treater. To date, I don't think there a gemmological test which can test specifically for irradiation of yellow sapphires. I have heard of a bleach test method but it is very destructive, not recommended and labs understandably will not do this with a client's gemstone. I agree that the likelihood of this happening is quite small if the stone is purchased from a reputable vendor.

To the OP,
Since you aren't sure about what colour yellow sapphire you like best, I agree with the other posters that you should go see as many yellow sapphires as possible to come to your conclusion. I think you may have to contact Gemfix to make an appointment. Pala only sells directly to the trade but you can ask your local jeweller to call in stones from Pala for you to view.
Is Joe Escobar out of driving range? I know they have many blues but not sure about yellows. http://www.escobardiamonds.com
AfricaGems is also in the SF area. http://www.africagems.com

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

One other thing to keep in mind when choosing your sapphire is the effects of setting it. Oftentimes, depending upon how closed it is, the basket around the stone can darken and enhance the color a bit - especially if in this case, you were to use a yellow gold basket. Just something to keep in mind.

fmartin5

Rough_Rock

hello everyone! I need some feedback on this gem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTDpBA34Hqc&feature=youtu.be
Its a 4.20 carat asscher cut untreated yellow sapphire from africagems (it may even be the same gem as one of the first suggestions, sorry Niel!!!). My gf's ring size is between a 4-5. the dimensions of the stone are 8.49x8.22x6.38. the price per carat is $1,980. I'd love some feedback from you all. As always, thank you in advance.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

fmartin5|1395185189|3636846 said:
hello everyone! I need some feedback on this gem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTDpBA34Hqc&feature=youtu.be
Its a 4.20 carat asscher cut untreated yellow sapphire from africagems (it may even be the same gem as one of the first suggestions, sorry Niel!!!). My gf's ring size is between a 4-5. the dimensions of the stone are 8.49x8.22x6.38. the price per carat is $1,980. I'd love some feedback from you all. As always, thank you in advance.

Totally is the same one :naughty:

I think that's amazing and could make an amazing e ring with some side traps or traps and bullets.

fmartin5

Rough_Rock

Niel|1395186410|3636862 said:

I think that's amazing and could make an amazing e ring with some side traps or traps and bullets.

lol! so ive been searching for a cushion cut of the same quality to no avail! im running out of time and this is a great alternative. She likes halo type settings. this is more or less what i had in mind
http://www.whitesgems.com/jewelrygallery.html (4th row, 5th column- cushion cut yellow sapphire gem in a custom halo-type setting)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That stone would be lovely in a halo!

That particular halo might be a tad much for that big a stone on that small a finger though.... I wonder.

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Niel|1395186410|3636862 said:

I think everyone on this forum has fallen in love with that particular sapphire - from the photos I've seen of it, it is well-cut, a really nice but not completely in your face yellow, a fantastically generous size, and well - what's not to love? It's gonna look huge on your gf's dainty finger :)

Kahlua

Rough_Rock

That sapphire you are looking at is beautiful!

For an idea on what that size stone might look like on her finger with a halo you could take a peek at my ring here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-yellow-sapphire-engagement-ring.199816/. I'm a size 4.5 and the sapphire measures 7.75x5.35mm. The halo diamonds are around 1.4mm each, and we picked a daintier setting to try to keep it from being overwhelming on my hand. You can also put in her measurements and the stone's here and get a really good visual: http://www.diamdb.com/diamond/4.2ct-asscher-8.49x8.22x6.38/. Keep in mind it's calibrated for diamonds instead of colored stones though.

fmartin5

Rough_Rock

Kahlua|1395249122|3637369 said:

For an idea on what that size stone might look like on her finger with a halo you could take a peek at my ring here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-yellow-sapphire-engagement-ring.199816/. I'm a size 4.5 and the sapphire measures 7.75x5.35mm. The halo diamonds are around 1.4mm each, and we picked a daintier setting to try to keep it from being overwhelming on my hand. You can also put in her measurements and the stone's here and get a really good visual: http://www.diamdb.com/diamond/4.2ct-asscher-8.49x8.22x6.38/. Keep in mind it's calibrated for diamonds instead of colored stones though.

Your ring is beautiful!! that website is really helpful. this confirms my worries that the gem with a halo maybe too big. So, do i pass on a nice gem or end my search by compromising. I like that you and your fiance went through the search together. I think getting it right is more important than the element of surprise. anyone care to weigh in?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

fmartin5|1395253297|3637408 said:

Your ring is beautiful!! that website is really helpful. this confirms my worries that the gem with a halo maybe too big. So, do i pass on a nice gem or end my search by compromising. I like that you and your fiance went through the search together. I think getting it right is more important than the element of surprise. anyone care to weigh in?

I would just get a more delicate halo! I think a nice thin pave halo wouldn't be too much.

Does she like those??

I probably do something like this with a split hank so it didn't look as much like a door knocker on her slender fingers. No that that's always a bad thing. :naughty:
http://www.victorcanera.com/the-anne-marie-split-shank-halo-with-emerald-cut

Kahlua

Rough_Rock

Thanks! Our compromise on the surprise aspect was that we would look at stones together (which took three tries), and look at settings together, but I did not get to see our stone in our setting until he proposed. Even knowing as much about it as I did in advance and having an idea the proposal was happening during our trip, I was still stunned speechless when it happened and I wouldn't change a thing.

I think you should encourage your fiance to be to try on different size rings and see what you both like best on her hand.

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock

The asscher from AfricaGems is STUNNING. It is one of the most stunning stones I have seen. It is almost diamond-like.

A number of our (mine and SO's) friends also found this stone gorgeous IRL. The only thing I can think of is to please try yellow stones in real life to make sure they look great against her skintone. And, this is not at all a knock at all, but I have found that asscher (and emerald) cuts show dirt/crud a lot more than other shapes.

I have a 4.25-4.5 ring size and I did not think that a halo would make it too big, especially a delicate one. Victor's work is gorgeous (but note that he is not inexpensive) and he is a master in managing proportions.

fmartin5

Rough_Rock

Niel|1395254116|3637422 said:

I would just get a more delicate halo! I think a nice thin pave halo wouldn't be too much.

Does she like those??

I probably do something like this with a split hank so it didn't look as much like a door knocker on her slender fingers. No that that's always a bad thing. :naughty:
http://www.victorcanera.com/the-anne-marie-split-shank-halo-with-emerald-cut

Hey Niel! i think she does. Inspired by Kahlua, Im gonna get my gf involved in the process. I'd much rather get it right. From what ive gathered Marc at africagems is trustworthy. does anyone disagree? does he fall in the "trusted jeweler" category to those in the business?

fmartin5

Rough_Rock

swissmiss|1395258856|3637467 said:
The asscher from AfricaGems is STUNNING. It is one of the most stunning stones I have seen. It is almost diamond-like.

A number of our (mine and SO's) friends also found this stone gorgeous IRL. The only thing I can think of is to please try yellow stones in real life to make sure they look great against her skintone. And, this is not at all a knock at all, but I have found that asscher (and emerald) cuts show dirt/crud a lot more than other shapes.

I have a 4.25-4.5 ring size and I did not think that a halo would make it too big, especially a delicate one. Victor's work is gorgeous (but note that he is not inexpensive) and he is a master in managing proportions.

Hi Swissmiss! that is what i wanted to hear!! :appl: is victor the person who designs settings for africagems? whats considered an appropriate price for a setting as it pertains to this gem? thank you for helping

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Victor Canera is a designer and bench who creates jewellery. He isn't tied to any other business except his own. Expect to pay anywhere from $4K to $10K for his settings, depending upon the complexity.

fmartin5

Rough_Rock

Chrono|1394025703|3627884 said:
MCM,
Again, I would like to request supporting evidence of higher expectation of clarity from reputable sources because my understanding is that eye clean is the standard. Corundum is considered a Type 2 gem where even a high quality stone only needs to be eye clean, not loupe clean or even internally flawless, unlike a Type 1 gem.

My apologies is not reading your post correctly that you meant an unheated yellow sapphire will fade under strong direct sunlight. My guess is that that particular yellow sapphire has most likely been irradiated, either naturally or by a treater. To date, I don't think there a gemmological test which can test specifically for irradiation of yellow sapphires. I have heard of a bleach test method but it is very destructive, not recommended and labs understandably will not do this with a client's gemstone. I agree that the likelihood of this happening is quite small if the stone is purchased from a reputable vendor.

To the OP,
Since you aren't sure about what colour yellow sapphire you like best, I agree with the other posters that you should go see as many yellow sapphires as possible to come to your conclusion. I think you may have to contact Gemfix to make an appointment. Pala only sells directly to the trade but you can ask your local jeweller to call in stones from Pala for you to view.
Is Joe Escobar out of driving range? I know they have many blues but not sure about yellows. http://www.escobardiamonds.com
AfricaGems is also in the SF area. http://www.africagems.com

Hi Chrono! gemfix didnt have any gems that matched my description. I think im gonna buy an asscher cut yellow sapphire from africagems. Id really like your input on this stone as other posters have outed you as an expert. Thank you for your help. http://www.africagems.com/square-yellow-sapphire-g2k-5247.html

fmartin5

Rough_Rock

Chrono|1395260732|3637484 said:
Victor Canera is a designer and bench who creates jewellery. He isn't tied to any other business except his own. Expect to pay anywhere from $4K to $10K for his settings, depending upon the complexity.

thanks Chrono! Im gonna try to work with marc on the setting. Victor's website has some gorgeous settings though. I'm sure they're both really good at what they do

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

fmartin5|1395271654|3637594 said:
Chrono|1395260732|3637484 said:

thanks Chrono! Im gonna try to work with marc on the setting. Victor's website has some gorgeous settings though. I'm sure they're both really good at what they do

Te setting and the stone from the same place? Or is Marc a jeweler you were working with?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results