shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for sapphire stud earrings.

ratbuddy

Rough_Rock
I'm looking for a pair of sapphire stud earrings, something like 1 ctw give or take .25 or so. I don't mind heat but nothing more. Platinum preferred. What are some vendors I might consider?

so far, I found a pair on one site for $900, they say .88 ctw and no heat (no docs), intense color, 4mm princess cut, 14k white gold.

A second site has a pair of heat-only (no docs) ~1.2 ctw, medium to intense color, 5mm round cut, platinum, $975. These are $775 in white gold, is $200 a reasonable upcharge for platinum?

I'm leaning towards the second set. Any better ideas for me?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pictures (links preferred) please so that we can help evaluate both the colour and cut.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
The Brilliant Earth studs look to be CAD's, i.e. not the actual stones you will receive, not that the stones pictured are that great to begin with. The NSC pair aren't terribly saturated, they look to have quite a bit of silk in them and rounds are better suited for stud earrings.

This was the nicest pair I could find at the moment, semi-mounts and setting would be in the $300 range. Africa Gems has some calibrated rounds too, which they can match upon request.
http://www.africagems.com/round-pair-blue-sapphire-g2k-5365.html

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't think they are CAD images but it is certainly stock photos.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They aren't platinum (14k white gold) but vickygigi had a beautiful pair of 4.5 mm studs on Loupetroop for. Low heat only. I thought of buying them just for the stones because I know her eye for color and quality (having bought many things from her). If you want nice stones at a great price, I would try contacting her.

Sorry..can't post the link from my phone...perhaps someone else can

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I much prefer the second pair. The color looks much deeper and the stones are much larger. I can't really tell the clarity but earrings don't matter as much as a ring since not many people will go up to your ear and inspect them closely but a lot will ask to see a ring up close. If really want platinum I would pay the extra since it isn't just the price difference of the metal it is that platinum is very difficult to work.

ratbuddy

Rough_Rock
I'm leaning towards the second ones as well, and if it didn't say 'medium to intense' for color, I would have ordered already. Another option is a local jeweler who quoted me $1-1.2k for some ~4.7mm rounds set in platinum, I can't get to his shop to see the stones until tomorrow though, which would rule out delivery by my deadline if I don't like the stones and end up going with the Brilliant Earth earrings. Sigh.

First world problems, I know :)

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
ratbuddy|1416599073|3788119 said:
I'm leaning towards the second ones as well, and if it didn't say 'medium to intense' for color, I would have ordered already. Another option is a local jeweler who quoted me $1-1.2k for some ~4.7mm rounds set in platinum, I can't get to his shop to see the stones until tomorrow though, which would rule out delivery by my deadline if I don't like the stones and end up going with the Brilliant Earth earrings. Sigh.

What is wrong with medium to intense. Intense is just another word for dark. I like medium dark better then medium or dark.

ratbuddy

Rough_Rock
Doh, I thought it meant the stones could be lighter blue, I'm looking for royal blue :)

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I realized that the lt listing I mentioned is gone. I did contact the seller and she would still be willing to sell. If interested, she can repost...or search vickygigi on lt.

10418177_10203818695778540_2312100910057386746_n_0.jpg

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
ratbuddy|1416602830|3788163 said:
Doh, I thought it meant the stones could be lighter blue, I'm looking for royal blue :)

OK they do look like a more cornflower.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
lilmosun|1416605529|3788181 said:
I realized that the lt listing I mentioned is gone. I did contact the seller and she would still be willing to sell. If interested, she can repost...or search vickygigi on lt.

10418177_10203818695778540_2312100910057386746_n_0.jpg

The color is very nice.

ratbuddy

Rough_Rock
Those do look good, I'll see if I can get in touch with the seller in time. Thanks!

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
MJO|1416601703|3788149 said:

What is wrong with medium to intense. Intense is just another word for dark. I like medium dark better then medium or dark.

'Medium to intense' can also refer to level of saturation.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
LoversKites|1416649696|3788414 said:
MJO|1416601703|3788149 said:

'Medium to intense' can also refer to level of saturation.

You are right. I do like medium dark tone in blue sapphire.

ratbuddy

Rough_Rock
The local jeweler had a pair of .75ctw rb diamond studs for 1.7k.. He said they were D-E, guaranteed E, and VVS1/2, cut looked good to my eye, so we went with those :razz:

Thanks to a slight misunderstanding, we had gone in to look at the sapphires, and he only had some larger unheated ones to show us. She liked the diamonds, so that's what she got :)

I sent her next door while I settled up, and put in a surprise order for some 4.5-5mm heat-only sapphire studs sight unseen. He has a good rep in the area, and there's an independent appraiser nearby, so I'm not too worried about quality or whatever. He said the cost would be 1-1.2k and he would get good stones. Even if they are only on par with what I could get for $900 online, I'm happy to let an expert do the picking, and I'm happy to support a local business.

edit: OH I forgot to mention, the jeweler talked us out of platinum - he said there is no need to spend the extra 2-300 for platinum when it's stud earrings - it doesn't look any different from white gold, and earrings don't exactly see a lot of wear. On reflection, it makes sense.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Good for you. I agree that platinum would be a waste in earrings but some people just want what they want and it doesn't matter, if it is looks and function white gold is the same.

On the other had having an expert is worth extra as long as he is and not in name only.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results