shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for Reputable Jewelry Designers in SF bay area

PersianGemstone

Rough_Rock
Is anyone aware of reputable jewelry designers in the San Francisco Bay area? I glanced at the vendors list on PS, but none of them seemed to be located in the bay area.

I also saw some jewelry designers on Yelp, but there's no way of knowing if the designer is considered reputable within the jewelry community.

We have the center stone and know exactly how we want the ring designed, just need someone close by to help make my dream engagement ring become a reality.

sisxixon

Rough_Rock
I'm a fan and longtime customer of Balzan's near Union Square. They're relatively cheap, 100% reputable, and do decent customization work. I've never actually tried their end-to-end custom design work, but have had them pretty extensively modify existing pieces.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Joe Escobar is in that area.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Joe Escobar Diamonds in San Jose (Campbell, actually). I can't recommend them highly enough.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
I've heard lots of good things about Joe Escobar, though haven't been there myself. Derco Jewelers in SF custom cad/cast my engagement ring after I showed them exactly what I wanted (via what was basically line art, not a photo); they were very easy to work with and I'm going to have a semi-custom 5-stone band made there shortly. For a B&M store, their custom setting prices are reasonable. Parking is a pain, though.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How about Pave over in Berkeley/Oakland?

I haven't used them for a custom setting, but I'm in the process of having some work done with them finishing a pendent. So far they've been super helpful and responsive over email.

(Totally unrelated, but the last time I was in, there were two early-teen brothers oggling their CS case. The older one was impressivly schooling the younger one on gems. Too cute!)

PersianGemstone

Rough_Rock
I went to their website and it looks like they only offer:
Appraisals
Consulting
Diamond Grading Reports
Colored Stone Reports
Expert Witness
Jewelry Repairs

Can't see if they do any actual customization work from beginning-to-end.

rimshotsnap

Rough_Rock
I've worked with Dave (http://www.themercurius.com/) in Oakland. on a custom pendant that turned out incredibly well, and we're working on an engagement ring now. Highly, highly recommend him. He is very artistic, reasonable prices, and really easy to work with. Tell him Dan referred you.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
PersianGemstone|1437193758|3904377 said:

Which vendor was that?

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
chroman|1437252371|3904559 said:

Which vendor was that?
Looks like they are talking about Balzan's.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
FWIW, I was back in Pave today, and asked what their policy was about external stones, since it sounded like you already had a stone. They said they do it all the time, so hopefully that wouldn't be an issue for your ring!

PersianGemstone

Rough_Rock
rimshotsnap|1437233377|3904460 said:
I've worked with Dave (http://www.themercurius.com/) in Oakland. on a custom pendant that turned out incredibly well, and we're working on an engagement ring now. Highly, highly recommend him. He is very artistic, reasonable prices, and really easy to work with. Tell him Dan referred you.

Thank, Dan! Will look definitely check him out.

PersianGemstone

Rough_Rock
chroman|1437252371|3904559 said:

Which vendor was that?

Sorry - It was Balzan. I ended up emailing them and they confirmed that they definitely do customization from beginning to end. In the process of setting up an appointment with them.

PersianGemstone

Rough_Rock
chroman|1437942103|3907743 said:
FWIW, I was back in Pave today, and asked what their policy was about external stones, since it sounded like you already had a stone. They said they do it all the time, so hopefully that wouldn't be an issue for your ring!

That's so funny! My boyfriend and I were there yesterday as well getting a quote for our customized engagement ring. They were super friendly and extremely helpful. The only concern I have is that the quote they gave us is almost 3x what we were quoted in Los Angeles :(( . We are going to check out the other vendors recommended in the area (Joe Escobar, Derco, Balzan, and Mercurius) to see if the prices vary from Pave's.

I'll keep everyone posted on our experiences, in case they may find it useful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results