shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for Pink Sapphires

needyourhelp

Rough_Rock
Hi! Firstly, apologies for the anonymous sounding name, being all careful and whatnot. Finally decided to post a topic about this.

My girl wants a Baby Pink Sapphire trilogy ring. Big in the centre with two sides, all round. Either a 1.5 2 1.5 or a 2 3 2 cw. Something in that region. Problem is I think these exact specifications are a nightmare to locate!

I have looked through the recommended vendors and also generic google/ebay/etsy searching for the past month to no avail. Could someone advise me on the next course of action to take?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few questions
Can you post a picture of exactly what baby pink means to you
What's your budget for the stone, the whole thing?
Would you consider different stone, like spinel?
Are you doing a pink center and diamond sides?

You're expecting 1.5 ct side stones? That's really huge, unless we aren't talking diamonds.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1479996171|4102223 said:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/467301852/pink-sapphire-round-concave-cut-gem?ref=shop_home_active_12

im not sure exactly what you mean by baby pink but this is what i think of.

this is about the size of 1.7 ish ct round diamond, so i wouldnt pair it with 1.5 ct rounds, even .7cts would give a huge look

might ask him to take photos of both of these together

https://www.etsy.com/listing/480788261/rose-pink-sapphire-round-concave-cut-gem?ref=shop_home_active_23

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
heres a helpful image to show you that you dont need super huge side stones to get a huge look

3_stone_proportions_chart_0.jpg

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
To add to Niel's great list of questions,mwould this be an everyday wear ring? If other stones are an option, there might be something besudes sapphire and spinel to look at, though they'll be softer..

needyourhelp

Rough_Rock
Ah, excellent replies. Thank you.

I should have realized too that "baby pink" was rather unspecific, do forgive me, I'm having trouble with the different pink hues that she tried to explain to me as well.

From what i gather, the pink she likes is kind of...hint of pink, light pink. (i'm sorry, this is as good as I can explain myself haha)
Like these from gemfix,

http://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-pink-520

http://gemfix.com/gems/apphire-pink-513

or the hint being a little salmony, I THINK this is light pink to her too

http://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-pink-497-oval-portuguese-cut-98cts

So yea, she would view the examples you showed as bright pink or shocking pink and she doesn't want those, beautiful as they are.

Looking at photos even from trusted vendors, i'm a little confused with the pictures because they can be either really unclear/small or touched up too much. This is terrible for me with my already low capacity for colour discernment.

Budget? No budget.

That centre stone chart was interesting. Ok so perhaps a 2-3 carat centre and 1 carat sides?

She wants Sapphires, doesn't want a 2 carat Diamond (i tried, its more expensive but way easier for me to find) and the ring would be worn alot.

Thank you again for your help.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry, but you have some budget.

If not, do you want me to send you rings worth 100+k? Because I can find some.

Also I'm not understanding what you're looking for. Do you need a sapphire in the center with diamond sides?

The photos I showed you were not a shocking pick, but I suppose a bit more Saturated than you're after.

needyourhelp

Rough_Rock
Centre and side stones are all pink sapphires, no diamonds. If it was diamonds I would have zero problems.

Yes, perhaps less saturation is the correct term I'm looking for. I can tell the colour difference between the sapphire I posted and the one you showed me so perhaps alot less saturated?

Well for 100k it would have to be super special 2 to 3 carat pink sapphires haha. I know roughly how much pink sapphires at that size cost so that's why I don't want this search to be encumbered by price.

Round brilliant cut, low saturation light pink
2-3 carat centre pink sapphire
1 carat each side pink sapphires.

Thank you!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We can't help you if we don't know how much you want to spend.

You're going to need to contact cutters or dealers that specialize in gemstone rings as finding 3 matching dusty pink sapphire in large sizes only round will be like finding chickens teeth

The are shots in the dark as i have no idea what range you want to shop in but I'd contact Joe Escobar and Ivy NY, jewelers that specialize in gemstone rings. Also I'd contact cutters like Jeff white, johannes orstadius and top notch faceting to see if they can source anything

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It will also help to think in terms of mm diameter, instead of ct..

Any chance the sides dont have to be an exact match to the center, so long as they contrast nicely and are a matched pair? If they all have to match its going to be a tough..

Another long shot, but is something like this color of any interest?
http://gemfix.com/gems/mahenge-garnet-235

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I know this really isn't what you are looking for but I thought I would post it anyway -- just in case you change your mind :naughty: .

https://www.leonmege.com/portfolio/shop-now/montpassier-pink-sapphire-ring-detail

Maybe I can also add Mayer and Watt to the list. You're going to need to reach out to a lot of people -- finding three graduated matching pink sapphires in a precise colour/saturation/tone sounds like quite a task. Edited to add you might need a go between -- in which case Elle at the gemstone project may be able to help you (she will be able to access larger inventories that wont sell directly to the end consumer.)

needyourhelp

Rough_Rock
Niel|1480024471|4102362 said:
We can't help you if we don't know how much you want to spend.

You're going to need to contact cutters or dealers that specialize in gemstone rings as finding 3 matching dusty pink sapphire in large sizes only round will be like finding chickens teeth

The are shots in the dark as i have no idea what range you want to shop in but I'd contact Joe Escobar and Ivy NY, jewelers that specialize in gemstone rings. Also I'd contact cutters like Jeff white, johannes orstadius and top notch faceting to see if they can source anything

I will contact them! Thanks.

needyourhelp

Rough_Rock
chroman|1480029016|4102372 said:
It will also help to think in terms of mm diameter, instead of ct..

Any chance the sides dont have to be an exact match to the center, so long as they contrast nicely and are a matched pair? If they all have to match its going to be a tough..

Another long shot, but is something like this color of any interest?
http://gemfix.com/gems/mahenge-garnet-235

The centre stone would definitely have to be sapphire, I guess if there was really no option i might have to do with something else for the side stones. Colour wise the centre stone would have to be that lower saturation pink colour.

Thanks!

needyourhelp

Rough_Rock
lovedogs|1480030769|4102374 said:
Does this color appeal to you? https://www.etsy.com/listing/289547501/holiday-sale-peach-sapphire-engagement?ref=market

I know the ring style isn't what you're looking for, but JuliaB has some 3-stone settings and could potentially source peach/pink sapphires for a 3-stone ring.

Getting lower saturation pink is indeed tough! This one is still not light enough I think. Perhaps I can contact her as well to see if she can source loose sapphires as I already have a jeweler here who can set them.

Thank you!

needyourhelp

Rough_Rock
qubitasaurus|1480039579|4102386 said:
I know this really isn't what you are looking for but I thought I would post it anyway -- just in case you change your mind :naughty: .

https://www.leonmege.com/portfolio/shop-now/montpassier-pink-sapphire-ring-detail

Maybe I can also add Mayer and Watt to the list. You're going to need to reach out to a lot of people -- finding three graduated matching pink sapphires in a precise colour/saturation/tone sounds like quite a task. Edited to add you might need a go between -- in which case Elle at the gemstone project may be able to help you (she will be able to access larger inventories that wont sell directly to the end consumer.)

Oh that hue of pink would have been good! But yea she is kinda specific with what she wants for shape and setting.

Thanks for the contact!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yea oval side stones with a round center would be odd.

I'm not your girlfriend, but in general for an aesthetically pleasing ring I'd suggest using diamond sides before using sapphire sides that don't match in shape or color.

needyourhelp

Rough_Rock
That is exactly what I was thinking today too! Using diamond rounds for the sides so that I wouldn't have to worry about those and then just focusing on getting the proper centre sapphire. I can just explain later how difficult it was to get all 3 matching.

Thanks for reaffirming!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
needyourhelp|1480079897|4102475 said:
That is exactly what I was thinking today too! Using diamond rounds for the sides so that I wouldn't have to worry about those and then just focusing on getting the proper centre sapphire. I can just explain later how difficult it was to get all 3 matching.

Thanks for reaffirming!

i dont usually say go against what the recipient of a ring wants. But like i said it could take forever to find a matching set of the stones the way youre describing. But round diamond side would make your life a lot easier, as diamonds are easy to match, easy to find, and commonly in a round shape. that vs sapphires which are not easy to find in rounds or to match lol. itll also look more like an engagement ring than a ring with all sapphires. And lastly, you wont have to compromise on the center stone. I could see a scenario where you find matching pairs, they are the size you want, and the shape you want and they match, so youre forced to settle on a sub par color because its the only option youve got. So if youre open to diamonds too, that would make your job a lot easier. I would strongly suggest you let the diamond side help you find diamonds if you go that route, because are something you need to do to insure youve got good diamonds too. Also, if youre going that route, do you still want about a full ct side stones? youll have to allow at least 4-6k per stone then.

you had said in a previous post if you just did a round with diamond sides it would be much easier. however, ill admit i didnt see a lot of rounds in the color youre after. did you have single round stones you were considering?

needyourhelp

Rough_Rock
Sadly no, I'm still looking for the pink centre sapphire.

For the side diamonds I'll probably do a 0.7-1 carat each and aim for a 2+ to 3 carat pink sapphire.

If you happen across any low saturation round brilliant pink sapphires of that size do let me know!

Thank you.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
needyourhelp|1480081823|4102480 said:
Sadly no, I'm still looking for the pink centre sapphire.

For the side diamonds I'll probably do a 0.7-1 carat each and aim for a 2+ to 3 carat pink sapphire.

If you happen across any low saturation round brilliant pink sapphires of that size do let me know!

Thank you.

yes ill go take a look see if there is anything out there!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i know they are probably too saturated for you, but id still inquire about the two i posted and ask if he could provide you a pic of the two together in just regular diffused natural lighting. sapphires change colors a bit, and maybe they arent quote as saturated in all lightings

probably too much, but leave no stone unturned, right?

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Cool, hunting for one nice center stone then :)

If you come across stones with the color you're looking for, but they're the wrong size or too small, the pics would still be good to have for reference. Whan talking with vendors to hunt through their connections, this gives you an example to hand out.

If the search drags out for a while, another option would be to chat with some vendors headed to the Tuscon show in early feb. Might be something there, or something that could be recut..

I know in one of your previous posts you mentioned a touch of salmon. Just to check - you're not looking for a pale pad, are you? Really just pink?

needyourhelp

Rough_Rock
Oh wow! The colour on that is good. But how do I go about purchasing or getting more info from Pala?

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
My understanding is that you have to use a jeweler as intermediary.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is a good question - since they only sell to trade folks, you won't be able to buy directly from them or get a price. The final price will come from whomever handles the intermediate transaction.

Have you thought about who might do the setting on the ring for you, or who you might want to use to source the side stones? There could be some economic leverage from getting them to source the pala stone (less markup on the sapphire in exchange for the additional business..).

If you search through the forum (google with "site:pricescope.com") yields a few hints, though in a quick check I didn't see anything in the very recent past.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results