shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a untreated colored stone

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Niel for the link, gorgeous! Those gems look very sparkly. Green sapphires seem disappointing in color. The green garnet posted is a great color, but a garnet, so soft.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Grossular is 7-7,5 - hard enough for a ring. Demantoid is softer - 6,5.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Great to know Marlow, I did not know garnet was a durable stone. Thank you so much for your help!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cut and paste from here:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-to-coloured-gemstone-buying-read-this-first.174284/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-to-coloured-gemstone-buying-read-this-first.174284/[/URL]

Mohs 9 - Ruby and Sapphire: generally considered the most durable of the colored gems. If untreated in any way, will hold up very well in most all situations. Even those subjected to 'high-heat-only' still do very well. Example: my wife's 2ct oval Sapphire engagement ring was worn daily for 15 years before needing a very minor tune-up. Exception: Ruby that has been filled with substances such as glass have a much lower resistance to damage such as abrasion from wear. Ruby, under high-heat-only with flux present, will also handle wear well.

Mohs 8-1/2 - Chrysoberyl including Alexandrite: in my experience Chrysoberyl holds up very well against wear. It does not exhibit severe brittleness seen in other gems - and would be a great stone for regular wear as a ring stone.

Mohs 8 - Spinel: is generally considered a gem that wears well. It is resistant to damage and not just damage from abrasion.

Mohs 8 - Topaz: can be worn in rings, but some caution should be exhibited. This is especially true with Topaz colored blue because it has been irradiated [and then subsequently heated]. This process has weakened the stone in some way that it does not hold up as well as Precious Topaz - which may, or may not have been treated at all.

Mohs 7-1/2-8 - the Beryl family including Aquamarine, Heliodore (golden Beryl), Morganite, Goshenite wear fairly well and unless totally exposed from the metal, can be worn in rings though may not be suitable for 'everyday wear'. The heating of any of the Beryl's is done at a low temperature and it is not a factor regarding their durability. Beryl's do have an element of brittleness though not as severe as some other gems.

Mohs 7-1/2-8 - Emerald (of the Beryl family) is not well suited for everyday wear. A totally clean Emerald will hold up as well as an Aquamarine. But, finding an Emerald with that level of clarity is extremely rare. Roughly 99% of all Emeralds have been treated with a filler of some type to (usually) improve their clarity. The filler is likely to not hold up well over time. *Emerald's that have been treated should not be placed into an Ultrasonic cleaner, nor placed under a steam cleaner as this may affect the clarity enhancement substance. **Caveat: Emerald's treated with a specialized process known as "Excell" in the trade are known to have a higher level of durability over those treated with other methods.

Mohs 7-1/2 - Andalusite has reasonable wearability though it does have a slight brittleness. Facet junctions are likely to show wear after only a few years regular wear. Distinct cleavage is present in Andalusite though I have yet to see the affects of it.

Mohs 7-1/2 - Iolite in my experience holds up fairly well for hardness 7-1/2. It does, however, have distinct cleavage and a sharp blow in one or more specific directions may cause it to separate into more than one piece. Though, when I have tried to do this in the rough, I have not been successful.

Mohs 7-7-1/2 - The Garnet group is generally thought of as reasonably durable. Facet junctions will show wear within the first few years of being worn. And, the facet junctions may not chip as much as 'crumble' for lack of a better way to describe this. Of the Garnets, the Andradite/Demantoid type is the least durable, and we have found the Pyrope/Almandine/Spessartite group seem to wear slightly better.

Mohs 7-7-1/2 - The Tourmaline group is suitable for rings, though not for everyday wear especially if the top of the stone is exposed. Tourmaline can be brittle, does not hold up well where temperature changes are radical. They are known to 'chippy' as can be seen along facet junctions that are exposed.

Mohs 6-1/2 to 7-1/2 - Zircon is often thought of as brittle. Zircons heated to high temperatures (over 1,000*C) to convert them to blue are definitely more brittle and show the effects of wear easily. Blue Zircon worn high on a mounting will need refurbishing regularly. Unheated Zircons and those subjected to much lower temperatures (of various colors) are less prone to show wear - and appear less brittle. There is no known dilemma with faceting or polishing Zircon for the experienced lapidary. There is, however, a known direction to its hardness which could create difficulty for some.

Mohs 7 - The Quartz family is well known due to being available and popular. Its wear pattern is predictable. Facet junctions (even when faceting) can be 'chippy'. Chipping along the crown facets is common, and abrasions from wear are as well.

*as a general rule, at least from me, I don't suggest wearing hardness less than 7 on a regular basis as the wear will become evident well before you expect it. I do suggest moving this type of gemstone into mountings offering great protection or off the fingers or wrist.

Mohs 6-1/2 to 7 - Kunzite is not a durable gemstone. It is brittle, does not resist scratching well, does not repair easily, and has perfect cleavage in two directions. In addition to all that, it has the unfortunate problem of being light sensitive - reducing its depth of color with prolonged exposure to direct sunlight. I have repaired my fair share of Kunzite's and I don't relish the fact that they show up waiting for my handy work. But since they don't wear well over time, they will all eventually need reconditioning.

Mohs 6-1/2 to 7 - Peridot does not share the fate of Kunzite, though its wear pattern is predictable. Abrasions are readily seen on exposed gems that are frequently worn - and fortunately, a refurbishing is not usually problematic.

Mohs 6-1/2 to 7 - Tanzanite is very popular and goldsmiths have taken to mounting them in lavish and risky ways. Exposed surfaces will show wear in a relatively short time and the perfect cleavage can be a problem. Tanzanite is also heat sensitive - even though it is well known to have been heated to acquire the beautiful blue to purple hues. It is the shock of rapid temperature change that may cause damage. This is not a common situation with consumers as this is more likely to take placec in the creation or repair to a mounting.

Mohs lower than 6-1/2 - Apatite, Opal, Orthoclase/Sunstone, Scapolite, Sphene and Sphalerite and other low hardness gems all need special care to be worn in rings. It is generally accepted that these gems are best suited for pendants, pins, brooches or earrings.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I can't speak for Merelanis but I've had red garnets most of my life and they're hardier than they might seem. Depending how rough you are (and I'm very rough), we're talking about 10 years before it might need a repolish.

Could you show us the setting please? It would definitely help.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gemfix's Mint garnet would look amazing in a rose gold setting.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very gentle with my garnets and only wear them once a while to the office and back, and even so, there are facet abrasions that I try my best to ignore. Pandora and Mozo both have garnet e-rings, tsavorite and spessartite respectively, which has wear and tear marks despite their gemstone expertise and extreme care taken. IIRC, Pandora carries a gem case with her everywhere so that she can store the ring safely when doing doubtful activities and Mozo removes her ring as soon as she steps through the door at home.

Just FYI if the OP is keen on garnets as an option and aware of the caution required as a ring stone.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
So the best setting is a 38mm Neuheuer glass lid box!

I know why I try to save as many beautiful gems as possible!!! :D

-----

Maybe a chrysoberyl is a better - V-chrysoberyl is impossible in a 7+ mm size round but a greenish yellow......

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Chrono!

I appreciate all the help.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Starzin, here you go..

_20207.jpg

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
TL put a violet blue spinel In rose gold, looked lovely. I found one similar color, the and a blue green one.

_20223.jpg

_20224.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep a close eye on the gem trader today . He should be releasing his drop today. He might have something that works but his stuff goes so fast! Sign up for his email reminder

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The two stones shown are on the darker end of the spectrum and rather grayish. I think TL's stone is a medium toned stone with strong saturation.

sapphire_blue_1195_a.jpg

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono,

Thank you for your comments. I am having difficulty spotting grey modifiers on my screen. I appreciate the help because I don't want that. I like your recommendation, is there a larger one that you can recommend? Thanks Niel, I am keeping an eye open.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It will take time to find the right stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fancygems|1405410183|3713525 said:
TL put a violet blue spinel In rose gold, looked lovely. I found one similar color, the and a blue green one.

Thank you.
I also have a darker toned blue spinel in rose gold as well. As far as I'm concerned, rose gold really helps enhance the color in blue/violet gemstones, especially if there is some metal surrounding the stone, as in a halo or some art deco inspired piece. Hope that helps. :))

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fancygems|1405457830|3713906 said:
Chrono,

Thank you for your comments. I am having difficulty spotting grey modifiers on my screen. I appreciate the help because I don't want that. I like your recommendation, is there a larger one that you can recommend? Thanks Niel, I am keeping an eye open.

When people say "grey modifiers," it also means that the stone, if its a cool colored gem, also has less purity of color. So here is a violet stone without much grey, very saturated. Compare it to the spinels you chose above.

Most blue or violet spinels have some degree of grey, or can be very grey, so if you want a spinel that has little grey, it may take a while. Some people like grey gems or grey spinels, so I hope no thinks I'm dissing them. I am just providing an FYI about grey in spinels and other colored gems. Color is subjective and a matter of taste. If you don't mind a greyish spinel, your search will be quicker. However, I would try to avoid overly dark spinels, because they tend to black out in most lighting, and only show some flashes of color in intense lighting.

tanzanite_20oval_2045.jpg

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you TL, I was able to see your rose gold rings. Thank you for sharing them as they have been very inspiring. Yes, I would like to avoid a grey modifier so that may sway me away from blue violet spinels.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on your sensitivity.

As for the Finewater link, he has a whole list of stones. Which one are you considering?

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, the 2.04 oval. The color maybe unevenly distributed in the stone? I have not yet discovered my sensitivity to issues that may arise in a colored stone. I can imagine visual inclusions may be bother some, however I know they can be masked by the color.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Since i am new to colored gems I have not yet figured out my preferences and tolerances, so I presume that I am asking if any of these sapphires are worth considering or if it is in my best interest to keep looking? Thank you!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
TL|1405691140|3715806 said:
Some people like grey gems or grey spinels, so I hope no thinks I'm dissing them. I am just providing an FYI about grey in spinels and other colored gems. Color is subjective and a matter of taste. If you don't mind a greyish spinel, your search will be quicker. However, I would try to avoid overly dark spinels, because they tend to black out in most lighting, and only show some flashes of color in intense lighting.
Lol at your very PC answer TL! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Do all sapphires have some extinction? The wearer just needs to find what's acceptable? I am seeing bow ties in ovals and cushion stones.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fancygems|1406346484|3720816 said:
Do all sapphires have some extinction? The wearer just needs to find what's acceptable? I am seeing bow ties in ovals and cushion stones.
No. Extinction is a cut issue. Any species of stone can have extinction if it is cut with the wrong angles in the wrong arrangement. Diamonds can have extinction too. Elongated brilliant cuts are more likely to exhibit it - elongated cushions, ovals, pears.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you FrekeChild, extinction will be present mostly in native cuts then.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
I called to speak with a vendor about one the stones on his website, there is only one photo so I asked for more or a video. I understand not all vendors make videos, but is it normal for them to not offer any other pictures such as a profile picture? They explained it is time away from the wheel and they are a cutter. You will have to excuse me I am use to ASETS, videos, and HCA (diamond shopping) to use as tools for shopping via the internet. I know this is not diamond shopping but I am finding difficulty evaluating based on one photo. Thank you :confused:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fancygems|1406353619|3720877 said:
Thank you FrekeChild, extinction will be present mostly in native cuts then.

Not necessarily. It is dependent on the skill of the lapidary. I've seen "native cut" and precision cut stones with extinction issues. This is why I agree with Gene that we should go back to the terms well cut and poorly cut instead. Some gem types are also naturally more prone to extinction issues, such as pyrope garnet.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fancygems|1406403639|3721110 said:
I called to speak with a vendor about one the stones on his website, there is only one photo so I asked for more or a video. I understand not all vendors make videos, but is it normal for them to not offer any other pictures such as a profile picture? They explained it is time away from the wheel and they are a cutter. You will have to excuse me I am use to ASETS, videos, and HCA (diamond shopping) to use as tools for shopping via the internet. I know this is not diamond shopping but I am finding difficulty evaluating based on one photo. Thank you :confused:

Yes, this is correct. There is no ASET or HCA for coloured gemstones. We do our best to evaluate via a single picture (or several), ask a lot of questions, then decide whether it is worth paying for the shipping for a live evaluation.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Chrono for taking the time to post, I am having a stone sent to me. :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results