shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a tsavorite on a budget

mimB

Shiny_Rock
tara3056|1343939833|3245029 said:
Here's a question: Pricing. You can outright name the prices of each stone if you wish (I don't think its against any policies or vendor rules), but otherwise, what about listing your narrowed-down stones in order of price per carat? You don't have to SAY what the price per carat is, just which the order would be based on that. Since most of them are about the same, carat wise (with the exception of Yvonne's stone which is considerably more), a price per carat should show what the VENDORS think is the ideal color/saturation/cut combo. That doesn't mean it will be yours, but should be an interesting exercise to see in any case.

I'm so excited for you :appl: You've got some beautiful stones and you just can't go wrong! And by all means, go with the one that makes you purrrrrrrrr the most!

Ooof - I have no cool stone pictures or updates to share this morning: was so tired yesterday evening that couldn't even look at stones (which to me today sounds like blasphemy - what, there's always energy for stones!)
I did try to talk my SO into picking a favorite, and the most I got out of him was "In this particular lighting, the 1.04M is not as saturated".
Which, lol, doesn't help me :)

I think at this point my trouble is that I really CAN't go wrong at this point.
In any case, Yvonne OK'ed me keeping the stone until Wed, so I'll have the full weekend to compare them and see if any particular one grows on my more than others.

Tara, you request for pricing per carat comparison shall be fulfilled! :)
It's something I completely disregarded (was like, if it's within my budget, I don't care about exact price! *turns price blind*), but sounds very interesting :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
minousbijoux said:
So Mim, you are SO much like me in that you are highly analytical. Please don't get so caught up in the minutiae. If you live in a place where it rains a lot, then consider a rainy day, otherwise don't worry about it.

Minous, :D *grinning widely*
Lol, most of the time, this tendency to over-analyse is mostly a hindrance - but now that you've pointed it out, I'm mostly feeling a mix of pride and amusement :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GemFever said:
Soon you will choose the stone, and then... step #2, choosing the setting! Even more agonizing! Good luck :rodent:

So I'll try not to run in front of a moving train, but the current vision is to get a bezel with an open and pretty gallery, on a 2mm band, in 14K yellow gold.
OR - I think rose gold might also look good.
OR - I have these two small yellow sapphires which could technically work for earrings (but then I'll never set them) or could be used as side stones.

Then remember you were looking at Yvonne's stone and recommended a closed gallery, so that the metal behind the stone would enhance the reflections? How does that work exactly?

mimB

Shiny_Rock
Hello all!
Hope everyone's had a relaxing weekend - and if not, that a breather is close on the horizon.

I abstained from stones this weekend - at one point, took my top three choices with me on bike trip to look at on the metro, in restaurants, etc - but ended up forgetting all about them during the trip itself. *tsk tsk*

I have prepared the price/carat comparison for the stones, though.
The range for these turned out to be between 615$ and 860$ per carat.
Here they are sorted from least to greatest Price per Carat:
1) Jason's 1.34: when stone was priced @ $825, it was 615 $/ct; when the stone was discounted to $455, it became 340 $/ct;
2) 1.02 M- cushion
3) 0.99 M- cushion
4) 0.79 M+ radiant
5) 1.00 M cushion
6) 1.04 M+ cushion
7) Yvonne's 1.46: from the price written on its container, this stone is about 850 $/ct; the final price I'd end up paying would be negotiated only if I'd agree to keep the stone;
8) 0.91 M+ cushion
9) 1.04 M cushion

And... more pics taken at my office today (mostly so that once I make a stone choice, i can come back to the thread and continue ogling the ones I didn't choose).

round3_001.jpg

round3_002.jpg

round3_003.jpg

round3_004.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Are you going to go for the one on the left? It looks great in all the pics.

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
So, let me make sure I have this right: Your top 3 choices (Yvonne's + 2 of Bruces) are actually the top three highest (#s 7-8-9) on a price-per-carat basis?

If so, that's too funny! You have great taste, and it's apparently right in line with what vendors value the most too!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tara3056|1344310596|3247157 said:
So, let me make sure I have this right: Your top 3 choices (Yvonne's + 2 of Bruces) are actually the top three highest (#s 7-8-9) on a price-per-carat basis?

If so, that's too funny! You have great taste, and it's apparently right in line with what vendors value the most too!

I had the same thought too. :lol:

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's quite generous of all the vendors to allow you to handle the stones so long, clip them in ring holders, cherries etc. I know in the past I have had stones returned not in the same condition that they have gone out in.

One time a jeweler was looking at some of my stones in his store, he grabbed a gem jar and pulled the top off. In the process the stone went flying out, landed on his glass case top and took a big chip out of it. He said "sorry about that" and put the stone back.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gene,
It is my experience that should the stone(s) be damaged when in the care of the customer, the customer is reponsible for any monetary losses.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not all customers are good customers like you Chrono.
I always cringe a bit when I see stones swanked all over the place, held on the back of the hand over the patio for an outdoor shot, held in those little ring pinchers, taken here there everywhere. Who is to say if any damage was done in transit, by the potential customer or if the stone came that way. Wasn't there a long thread here a few months ago about a damaged stone?

Not that happened in this thread, but what would happen if someone had say 10 stones worth around $1000 each. Took them outside, balanced them on their hand to photograph, and accidently dropped them all. Each one chips. Would you then purchase them all? Send them back and hope the vendor doesn't notice? Just something to think about. Didn't someone here one time drop a stone on their deck and loose it?

mimB

Shiny_Rock
Gene,
An uncomfortable thought, and a very good advice.
I did try to be careful, but I agree that anyone that doesn't work extensively with the type of stone can't really know the best treatment practices. I admit I did not consider the full potential of damaging the stones.
I'll give a shout out once the vendors receive the stones back and let me know whether they're in the same condition as when being shipped out.

Tara, Chrono - hehe, yes - regarding the pricing of the stones and my top three choices.
It also made me wonder whether the vendors repriced the stones based on the assessed preferences of the buyer. Though now that I consider that seriously, probably not - since then there would be no universally applicable quality standards to the stones?

I've decided to keep the 0.91M+ from Bruce.
The stone does have some extinction, but it small and shallow enough that even in very dim lighting, it looks fairly uniformly green. I've also decided that I prefer its green more against my skin than that of the 1.04M. (But such a tough decision! :lickout: )

I think I'll have to wait until all the stones I'm returning are safely in their owner's hands to fully enjoy this acquisition. As of right now, I'm excited to have finally decided, but I am anxious about the purchasing process being incomplete. Once it's finished on all sides, I'll be able to relax and really feel like I own this stone, and start truly researching the setting process.

You guys have made this process so much fun for me! PS is utterly addictive...
(I keep reading posts on this forum, and never have anything to contribute - being a n00b and nada stone experience; but now I might actually have an opinion on tsavorite threads! Everyone go purchase tsavorites so I can also reply to threads!!)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gene,
I cannot speak for others but if I did lose or damage 10 stones worth $1K each, then I would indeed purchase them all. Of course, I would take every precaution not to lose any or damage any for the very reason mentioned earlier. Hence my caution to the OP earlier about those temporary stone holders and being extremely careful when opening the gem case.

MimB,
In general, medium dark toned tsavorites with a very slight blue undertone and strong to vivid saturation command the highest pricing. And by all means, please participate in any thread you like on PS, not just tsavorites. It is great to have different points of views or even suggest things that others did not consider.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results