shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a little bit of help about inherited gems.

lmitts

Rough_Rock
I recently inherited, or well… the correct term would be that I recently realized what they supposedly are, a man and woman’s set of rings. (And forgive me if I posted this in the wrong section, I’m rather ignorant of all of this and didn’t really know exactly where to post this).

The gems that are set in the rings are supposedly alexandrite, and I know already that they are most likely fake or synthetic. I’m not only aware of the odds, but believe in them. When I was first told what they were, I simply shrugged it off as some kind of gem and off into the ring box they went. As so did my father when he received it… and his father and so forth.

Long story short, I eventually got around to simply looking up the rings out of simple curiosity. From there I found out that the things changed colors, and that made them pretty darn interesting. Fake or not, it is neat to see them do it if I say so myself. Since then I’ve done what I could to see if they were real or not, and I’ve definitely come to the conclusion that I should simply ship them off to some lab to get them checked. I’m closer to GIA so I’ll most likely ship them there.

I’ve even gone to shops as to see their Alexandrite’s, even some that sell for a pretty penny are dull and ugly compared to the two of my own. The clerks all blatantly said that the ones in their stock were fakes… even the ones that were thousands of dollars. They never even changed color when I stepped into the sunlight with them, whereas mine change immediately and clearly. Now I know such a thing isn’t a deciding factor, but it gives me enough motivation to send them to a lab.

From what I’ve looked into, they are most likely sapphires that have been modified. Corundum I guess? But the darn things look really different than the synthetics and others I’ve seen, both on the internet and in person. The difference is literally night and day.

So, I’m not really here to ask if they are real or not… since I’ll find out for sure either way within short order, but rather which one I should send off first because just recently I placed them both under UV light and the woman’s gemstone glowed a bright orange. Everywhere I read says that this seems to be a sign that it is synthetic. Which I wouldn’t be too surprised of, since it is a rather large gem. However, the gem in the man’s ring doesn’t glow orange but rather a dark hue of red. If my eyes are seeing it correctly. I’d really hate to squander time and money on something that was a guaranteed fake or something.

Summing it up, I have two rings with gems and I would like to know if anyone could give me a better idea of which to send first. The one that glowed orange, or the one that did not? Or in an experts opinion… should I not even bother sending the one that glows orange? Or both? I wish there was some kind of manual about these things.

Any help would be appreciated and I thank you for your time.

I was going to try to keep it short and simple, really failed that one.

cm366

Shiny_Rock
Fluorescence for Alexandrite is described as "Inert to moderate red" as far as I can tell, so that sounds a bit more promising.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How large are the gems. Typically, very large and clean color change gems from a vintage period, are highly suspect to be synthetic color change corundum. They typically go from purple to blue. There is synthetic alexandrite as well, not to be confused with synthetic color change corundum, and it goes from green/blue to purple/red. Very large and clean stones are always suspect. Do you have photos of the gems? Color change is pretty good on them, unlike most natural alexandrite, as well.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

You have indicated that these gems have been passed down thru the generations. That takes it back pretty far and while synthetics have been around for a while as well, I would send the one that floureses red in to AGL to be checked. If i were you, I would look at it as a treasure hunt. After all, alexandrite wasn't always as expensive as it is now. The shopping channels used to sell it many yrs ago(so they have said). Just send the one for now. I'm unsure of how much it cost. Just look it up on their website. Good Luck--if you do it, come back and tell us the results

Annette

lmitts

Rough_Rock
First of all, thanks for the replies and help! I really do appreciate it, seeing as how hard it is to find stuff about about these darn little things.

Sorry for not thinking about putting pictures up, kind of should have realized how important those were. I took a few with my camera, which is low quality and none of them seemed to come out right... but it's the best I can do for now. A friend of mine has a really high-quality camera, and here in a couple days I'll post some higher quality pictures for you guys.

Ok, so here are some pictures. The larger one with the more ornament designed ring is the woman's... supposedly. The smaller gem is the man's, which is several times heavier. Probably thanks to the ring band itself though.

This was inside, in a closed room with no windows. The only light hitting them was the light-bulbs. They look dark/purple... but in reality at the time they were redder. At night while inside they get to even be a raspberry red which is really cool looking too.
Once again, the small one is the man's and that one is on the left. The one on the right is the woman's.
inside_lighting_2_img_20140518_125627843___1_.jpg

This was outside in the sunlight. There were clouds, but it was all i could do for now. This one disappointed me because it doesn't get the colors very good at all, which is slightly strange. Sometimes they're purple, other green or ocean blue. Chances are it's all in the lighting, but I'm nowhere near good enough to find out how to replicate those colors. This one you can slightly see that the man's is a little bluish.
outside_sunlight_1_img_20140518_125655200__2_.jpg

This one is really bad! Sorry for the bad quality, but the darn camera kept re-focusing thanks to the black-light. But, I'm still going to post it so you guys can see what I mean by Orange and red. The red is almost impossible to see, but the orange is obvious i think.
uv_blacklight_1_img_20140518_130119089.jpg

Somehow got the purple to show a little in this one! love it when they do the bright colors, it's neat.
kindle_camera_1391444334000.jpg

Once again, thanks for the help! And yes it does feel like a treasure hunt. It makes me wonder if I hadn't just got the silly urge to look them up, how many more generations would they have sat in a drawer in the attic? And I do know they are probably fake or some other type of gem, but no matter the outcome it will be interesting to find out.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stones are positively huge and clean for alexandrite so I agree that that alone would make them suspect. I am sorry I don't know which one I would send. If I were dying of curiousity, I would send the man's ring only because it is smaller and costs slightly less to test than the lady's ring.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I agree with Chrono. They look highly suspect to be fake.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
They look a lot like a vintage synthetic color change corundum I have. I wear and enjoy it!

lmitts

Rough_Rock
That was what I too suspected. It's great that my opinion matched all of yours as well.

I'll send in the mans to AGL, just out of simple curiosity. Either way they are pretty, and very unique in their own way. Color changing stones? Sounds almost science fiction like, so I'm happy to have them even if they are fake. It's a good conversational piece to say the least.

Thanks everyone for the help! Greatly appreciate it, I'm sure you get tired of dealing with folks always asking these things and whatnot. They're most probably fake, but I'll still come back and let you all know the results. Might be a couple weeks, they don't really say on their website how long it takes? But I'll definitely let you know. Thanks again!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am curious as to they really are and would appreciate your returning to post the result. It could take several weeks, depending on GIA's backlog. I understand that GIA is closer to you but my personal preference is AGL.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's my take on this. They are inherited stones so they cost you nada. Any AGL or other cert will cost you $ but you will know for future purposes i.e. insurance, value in regard to a future reset and possible resale or re-gifting. So you might as well bite the proverbial bullet and test one. If it proves to be the real McCoy then by all means test the other. I have a piece that I suspected it could have been an Alex but based on the jeweler's reps ( he could not commit to authenticity and cost at the time of purchase it probably is not. A color change sapphire-maybe- a synthetic- probably-but it is not something I am willing to pay AGL to test as I like the story as to the purchase. Good luck and let us know.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's my take on this. They are inherited stones so they cost you nada. Any AGL or other cert will cost you $ but you will know for future purposes i.e. insurance, value in regard to a future reset and possible resale or re-gifting. So you might as well bite the proverbial bullet and test one. If it proves to be the real McCoy then by all means test the other. I have a piece that I suspected it could have been an Alex but based on the jeweler's reps ( he could not commit to authenticity and cost at the time of purchase it probably is not. A color change sapphire-maybe- a synthetic- probably-but it is not something I am willing to pay AGL to test as I like the story as to the purchase. Good luck and let us know.

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock
99.9 percent of the time, a stone of that size is synthetic. I would love them to be real. How great would that be

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results