color
clarity

Looking for a chrysoberyl

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
On the "wish list" thread Neil said:

Niel said:
indigoblue said:
I need an inexpensive stone to use in an everyday engagement ring. My sapphire is two years old now and is getting chipped, so I've stopped wearing it as much. I'm thinking about getting a halo setting for it and only wearing it on special occasions. I'm wearing diamonds now (platinum setting with two 4mm and one 5mm), but they are SO boring. I need some color but don't know what to get. I want something that can be replaced easily in a few years when it gets chipped and I'm ready for a different color.

I feel like I hear you saying "chrysoberyl"! :lol:

You must be psychic. I've been passively looking at chrysos for quite a while. Maybe I should get serious. It would be nice if I could find an oval around 10x9mm so it would fit into the setting that currently holds my sapphire. Let me know if you see something.

This is the sapphire with the ring that I'm currently wearing. Don't you agree that it's boring?
withdiamonds1.jpg

And this is the sapphire in the setting:
ammiesphone3.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you happy with a chrysoberyl, or do you want one of the more expensive, neon chrysoberyls? If you are looking for the latter, imo, Jeff Davies consistently had the best big ones, but they are not cheap. 9x11 is also a fairly large stone. Hmmm, let me look around...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a pretty large chryso, it might be more fruitful to email cutters see what they have.

As for what I've seen, Peter Torraca has one that's 10x9 but it'd a cushion! (So close!) I don't know how your setting works, if its got a basket or just prongs, but I figured I'd pass it along.

I like the idea of it in your setting, I used to have a very similar shaped oval chryso in a very similar setting. I can't remember why I ever got rid of it. I think the setting didn't turn out exactly how I wanted. It was an eBay one :o

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I believe there were some nice chrysos on Loupetroop or Diamond Bistro.

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all of the quick replies.

Minous, I don't know whether I'd prefer a neon chryso or an "ordinary" one. I suppose that if they are much more expensive, I'd probably need to stick to the non-neon since it is such a large stone.

Niel, if I can't find anything now, I'll start contacting cutters. I had great luck with Gary cutting those two amethysts.

Lady, I didn't see any the right size on Loupe Troop or Diamond Bistro. I could go smaller, but then I'd need a new setting. Might as well spend that extra cost on a bigger stone.

dk, I like those a lot. I need to talk to my jeweler about what size the setting will accommodate. I bought my setting from him. It was a used setting he had on hand. It wasn't my dream setting, but it was adequate and available.

Here's a side view.

ring05.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, I'm not sure about the color on that one.

Depending on what your setting fits, primagems has a handful of options

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your blue sapphire is not boring. Unless you can find a neon chrysoberyl, I'd rather keep the sapphire.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1434370713|3889411 said:
Your blue sapphire is not boring. Unless you can find a neon chrysoberyl, I'd rather keep the sapphire.
I think she meant the diamond ring. Though I don't think it is at all, I know you CS folks like color.

I think she's changing the setting of her sapphire to better protect it from chips/abrasions

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1434377856|3889445 said:
I think she meant the diamond ring. Though I don't think it is at all, I know you CS folks like color.
I think she's changing the setting of her sapphire to better protect it from chips/abrasions

Hah, that's what I get for skimming the thread. :oops: :lol: Okay, let's first start with a budget. Tan has a few that might fit but I don't know where your tolerance for cut lies.

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
Is a $500 budget unreasonable? I've looked at nearly all of the respected vendors and didn't see anything I liked in the right size. Yes, I can change the size of the stone and go smaller, but then I'd need a new setting. I'll just keep looking. Something will come along eventually. Or I can start checking with the cutters.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would check with Prima. They had a lot of chrysoberyl at the HK show.

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
My search for a chrysoberyl turned into a tourmaline. Mainly I just wanted a less expensive stone to put in the setting that formerly held my sapphire. So I got this from Dana's sale. It's a 3.52 ct 11.1 X 8.2 X 6.3 mm natural green tourmaline from Nigeria.

32894.jpg
32892.jpg
32893.jpg
http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=8233

And had it set in the sapphire's setting. I like it.

tourm01.jpg
tourm02.jpg
tourm03.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results