shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a blue green sapphire, what about this one?

clairemit

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I'm looking for a blue/green sapphire, and am currently looking at Montanas. I like the colour change to grey under artificial light, as long as they keep some flashes of colour. I like the colour of this one and it's the right diameter for my setting, but what else should I be looking at?

Thanks!

8-6-13_sapphires_009.jpg

8-6-13_sapphires_007.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like the colours shown, the next step is to order it and view it in person. Cut looks fine and I would presume simple heat treatment.

clairemit

Rough_Rock
According to the vendor (Blaze-n-gems) no treatment of any kind, although heat treatment wouldn't bother me. I should have added that I'm in the UK, so it's a quite expensive for me to return a stone if I don't like it on viewing, as I'd have to pay international postage + I wouldn't get the import duty I'd paid returned.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Looks like it might gray out quite a bit, but if that's what you're looking for, there's no other way to tell how you like it except in person. Not much info to be gained from the 1st photo, but I'm not crazy about the cut from what I can see. Can you ask for other photos in varying lights? Could help, before you have to cough up for Her Majesty to see it IRL. For comparison, take a look at http://www.gemfix.com. There are some attractive blue/green Montanas there, though they're priced higher -- at least it gives you an idea of what's out there. Good luck!

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since returns aren't easy for you, I'd like to see a better picture of the stone. You know that it is pretty much grey indoors. I'd like to see the sapphire straight up, not tilted as shown in both pictures, both preferably on the hand.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's really pretty, but would want to see a few more pictures, especially one head on in indoor light. The hand picture is stunning :) I like greyish stones, but for me (and this is such a personal thing) that's a little too grey, I'd like it to maintain some color (my montana greys out inside a bit, but maintains a lot of blue, so it's more like an ocean-y color than the teal it goes outside).

Being in the UK does make it a lot harder since returns will be much more difficult. Has he done a lineup for you of similar stones in various lights so you can compare it directly to a few others?

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
It apprears that it has a very low crown, which could rob the stone of life/sparkle. A picture of the stone from the side would be helpful in determining that.

clairemit

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the advice, I've asked for some more pictures as suggested. Any further thoughts based on the extra pictures? The one on the right is the blue green one I posted previously, the one on the left is a bluer sapphire.

I've contacted Gemfix but it looks like they don't have anything in the size I'm looking for.

_8662.jpg

8-8-13_011.jpg

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Have you seen this one?

PREMIUM CUT - BI-COLOR BLUE SAPPHIRE - UNHEATED - SEE VIDEO!!

http://bit.ly/1cznJ1G

imageuploadedbytapatalk1376048533.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What size are you looking for? Colour wise, how light or dark? The one you are considering looks super pale.

clairemit

Rough_Rock
I'm looking for a round cut, 5.5 mm stone - it's to fit an existing setting. In terms of colour intensity, I'm looking for light to medium - not dark.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Daniel Stair doesn't have anything available right now but he tends to cut round blue green sapphires between 5 mm and 6 mm. Have you reached out to him yet?

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Of the two you're considering, I like the one on the left better. The one on the right appears to have silk or other inclusions that are affecting the brilliance.

Quennoo

Rough_Rock
Hello, I am a fellow Montana lover! I have to say that they always look better in real life, photos cannot capture their true colour in my opinion. I recently found a fantastic Montana from Jerry Newman at Gemart Services. (For more information search my thread ' montana quest is over) He also has a couple of others that fit your size requirements perfectly and colour. He is always obliging when it comes to to taking photos in various lights!
http://gemartservices.com/stones.php?id=monsapp001

Good luck :wink2:

clairemit

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for all the advice so far. Gemfix have now tracked down a couple of stones in the right size for me, any thoughts? The first one is roulette cut, and heat treated, the second one is Portuguese cut and untreated.

sapphire_montana_366_a.jpg

sapphire_montana_368_a.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both are lovely and well cut, only that one is greener and slightly grayish whilst the other is bluer and a touch more saturated.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
If you're looking for blue-green, I'd say the top one fits the bill best. The cut is really nice & I like the color a lot. It's not the market-preferred color, which matters only when it comes to price, not to how pretty it looks to us who go for that hue. The more-blue one is also a nice Montana & as Chrono says, a little more saturated. Depends on which attracts you most. I like them both MUCH better than your previous example.

--- Laurie

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I agree with Laurie and Chrono.

I love both gems, in fact they're both right up my alley, lol. I think you'd be happy with either one just depending on your preference...I know I like them both. I prefer the bluer one a tiny bit but that's just MY personal preference :). If I were you I would choose one of those two, they're definitely the nicest two in this thread IMO.

clairemit

Rough_Rock
I think I actually prefer the blue of the two, it looks a bit brighter coloured. The two stones are cut differently, one is roulette cut and the other Portuguese, will that make any difference to how they look?

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
Those are both beautiful :) I prefer the first one but you can't go wrong either way.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
clairemit|1376302822|3501244 said:
I think I actually prefer the blue of the two, it looks a bit brighter coloured. The two stones are cut differently, one is roulette cut and the other Portuguese, will that make any difference to how they look?

Why don't you ask Andrew these questions? He has both stones in hand and can explain the cut whys better than any of us, including any colour differences between the two sapphires.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results