shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a blue-green or ice blue sapphire

gemseeker2012

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I am new to the PS forum and like many other first time posters here, I'm looking for a sapphire for the center of my engagement ring. I'm looking for something pale in color and have been drawn to the color of the blue-green Montana sapphires. I've contacted a number of the vendors listed here on PS, but haven't really had any luck. I found one beautiful stone, but it was far from my price range. So the search continues. I am looking for a high quality, preferably untreated, 6-10 mm cushion, radiant or possibly even princess cut stone. Pale blue green, ice blue or other pale color in the blue-green family. Would like to keep the stone under $2500 if possible, but that could be extended for the right stone :) If anyone has any ideas, I would be thrilled to hear from you.

To give you an idea of what I am looking for, I really like how this (already sold :( ) stone looks.
http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=9022

Thanks in advance!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
many vendors do not list their entire inventory on their websites. call them and tell them that this one appeals to you and ask they have anything else like it.....the worst they can is "no" but they might just have what you're looking for.

good luck and happy hunting!

gemseeker2012

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply!

I feel like I have emailed half the gem world and no one seems to have anything or just never responds. A couple have expressed disbelief that I will ever find this - am I imagining such a thing? Perhaps I need to change my search?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i have to say the color of the stone you posted is perhaps of extreme high quality....as well as fine crystal. most i've seen have been darker with perhaps zoning. i love those as well.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=montana+sapphire&qpvt=montana+sapphire&FORM=IGRE

for an idea of variance in color......but you might have already known about that!

sometimes the hunt for "the stone" is long and hard. do you have a date in mind for when you want to present the ring?

gemseeker2012

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your help. The links provide are indeed lovely. I am a little concerned about the "silk" description though. Does that mean they appear cloudy? I was told earlier this week by a very high-end jeweler that Montana sapphires are not "gem quality stones". Is there any truth to that? I've never seen one in person, so I'm hoping it will be as sparkly and special as they appear in photos.

As for timing, I'm hoping to get it sooner rather than later. That said, I've come to appreciate how you can rush the search for "the one". I'm just hoping it comes my way soon!

Last question - today I found someone who has a rough piece of sapphire in a pretty green-blue color. However, its impossible for me to tell how that is going to look when cut. How does it work with an uncut rough piece? Are you obligated to buy it once cut even if it doesn't turn out as expected?

Thanks again, this is such an amazing resource!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
high end jeweler is entitled to his opinion. perhaps he's only seen lower end stones....
you do owe it to yourself to see as many as possible before you buy....and i think with your budget of $2500 for the stone alone should get your a better stone than average. however, the hunt may take some time.

not sure how it works with rough...never gone that way myself. i'm guessing you have to work it out with the cutter.

how far from your price range was the stone you found and liked? did it include a setting or was it the stone only? that might give you an idea of what kind of tradeoffs you face with your budget. most of us have beer budgets but champagne taste....and we have to make tradeoffs. personally, i'd reduce size to get better color, cut, and crystal.

silk in the stone depending on where located could give it what some call a "sleepy" appearance....

more info re "silk" than you probably care to know: http://www.ruby-sapphire.com/r-s-bk-ch5.htm

info broken down that should be useful re terminology:
http://www.gemnation.com/base?processor=getPage&pageName=sapphire_clarity

truth is you won't know until you see the stone if the silk is a hinderance or something you can live with.

i am not a sapphire expert and want to ask why a montana sapphire specifically? have you looked at australian sapphires? the world of sapphires is vast.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know a guy who has a fantastic sapphire, very bright and I think what you are looking for. I was admiring it pretty recently. Let me find his card, call and find out if he still has it. It was a situation when I was considering buying it for myself although I am very peculiar about sapphires.
. If he allows me to, I shall also post a link to his site, which does not have any of the stones I saw but regardless, he can probably send you photos. Not expensive, and fantastic brilliance. I do not know the origin, but it may even be unheated.

Just called. He will know by tomorrow and make a group shot. If this is the one I spoke about, it is huge, unheated and w/n the higher end of your price range. Sounds too good to be true, but he knows my penchant for sapphires. I shall know by tomorrow. His stones are always certified.

gemseeker2012

Rough_Rock
Movie zombie: Thanks so much for the info re: silk. Very interesting stuff! I can see how people get hooked on looking at gems, its so fascinating!

I'm not particular about the sapphire being from Montana, it just seems that the light blue green oceany colors tend to be from there or Tanzania. I saw a dark teal stone from Sri Lanka the other day that was really pretty as well.

As for the stone I found, it was enormous - unheated, almost 4 ct and $5000 - about double my budget. Alas, I had to let it go. I'm hoping something else comes my way soon!

Arktela - would definitely be interested in taking a look!! Especially if someone who knows more about sapphires has seen it and approves! Thank you so much!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
See, if it were royal blue, unheated, 4ct stone, for 5K, I'd say, grab it! But for an icy-blue color, one can definitely find better prices.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We shall find out tomorrow if he still has it. In the meantime. I was puttering in my jewelry box preparing some things for a photoshoot, and remembered that once upon a time, Dana Reynolds a had good Montana sapphire material. I bought a piece of indicolote from him for a project that has not materialized, and he sent me a small package which I was not supposed to open before X-mas. I was looking at it today and thinking, perhaps he still has such rough? I can photograph it only tomorrow due to my Droid's sensitivity to blue. It was coming out too juicy on the photo, and it is icy-blue, saturated and pretty. It is a tiny piece, but perhaps Dana
still has larger rough?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
If you're referring to the ones I posted when you mention silk, your best bet is to contact Ed to see if the silk affects their visual performance at all. Good luck!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The amount of silk and how it is distributed will determine how cloudy it looks. If very fine, in small amounts and evenly distributed, silk disperses light in a way that allows the colour to glow, appearing velvety while the stone remains quite transparent. The type of silk that is not desired is where it detracts from the beauty of the stone, making the stone translucent or opaque.

I interpret the jeweller's comment about Montana sapphires not being "gem quality" a little differently. Some Montana sapphires (just like blue sapphires from other locations) are simply too dark and/unattractive. He could also be thinking that way because they are rarely pure blue, hence less "desired". Many Montana sapphires are now routinely heat treated, yet not disclosed, so it you are particular about treatment, it is best to have it verified. In terms of sparkle, that will depend mostly on the cut and to a much lesser extent, on the material itself.

Buying rough is best left to the lapidary. Most people lack the experience to see the end result of a piece of rough. There are many considerations other than final colour which include shape of stone, inclusions to cut around, orientating it for best yield/colour/etc and much more. Some lapidaries will advise you what they think will be the end result, and you are obligated to purchase it even if the end result is different although you can opt out with the forfeiture of your deposit. Others have no such strings attached.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks for the link to the article.....RIP Mike Roberts.

richard hughes is a guru for all things sapphire and ruby.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,
I got in touch with my vendor and explained him the situation. He is in between shows, and says that unless he is able to receive and unpack the boxes in two days, he will be back from another show and a trip in mid-September. He promised to make a "group" shot if he gets it in time. Problem is, he did not remember which stone I was talking about, because actually my attention was drawn to a totally different specimen, and this is what etched in his brain.

gemseeker2012

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the update Arkteia! Will look forward to the pictures!

That stone is indeed lovely! Thanks for the link!

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
BTW: I have experience working with Prima (whose link I posted). Their stones seem to look better in real life than in pictures, plus Jaimeen is wonderful to work with and has an excellent return policy. I'm guessing this sapphire would be a lovely icy blue in real life, and I know that if you chose to see it in person, you'd have no problem whatsoever keeping it for a week or so and then returning it for a refund with no restocking fee if it wasn't right for you.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will Jaimeen provide a hand shot? It's difficult to evaluate the face up colour and check for but issues when the stone blends in too well with the background colour.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was not my link. The guy I saw sent me the photo. I am not 100% sure this is what I saw, but it is unheated, 3.03.

I sent an email about the price just a minute ago. I am posting the photo, he said he is more than willing to hold on to it for a month or more.

I think the one I saw was a step but, 4 ct, but he might have sold it. All I know that this guy's prices are very good. This photo was not enhanced in any way, in fact I think he put the box on the window sill to do the photo.

sapphirefancy1.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He sent me the price info. More than affordable, and I wonder if even that can be negotiable.

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely color in Litnon gem. I have a ball gown that color (lord, is that an old fashioned term!!!)

Maybe he or Mastercut gem have more like that in the pipeline?

This is a pale blue, asscher cut sapphire that's been on the site before. It's from welborn aka gemnut who has received positive reviews. It's $500 more than your budget. Maybe you can negotiate if it's right for you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-CUT-STUNNING-NATURAL-UNTREATED-BLUE-SAPPHIRE-CUSHION-3-CT-/310405969679?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item4845a3370f

I've seen light green beryls a bit darker than the icy green you've shown. I like them but the sapphire probably has more fire and is less brittle. :geek:

gemseeker2012

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your input. Especially to Arkteia for finding that lovely gem! I do love the color, I'm just hoping for something in a square shape - either cushion, asscher or radiant cut ideally.

I do have this stone coming this week. Cut by a wonderful person that is highly regarded on these forums :). It does have a very visible inclusion in this photo, but I'm told it's much less visible in real life. It's untreated and from umba valley. Only downside is its only 1.35 ct, but Im told it's striking in real life. I'm excited to see it, what do you think? I'm told there is no windowing or extinction. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Gemseeker:

Did you see that Gary Braun of Finewater gems just posted one somewhat similar but slightly bigger? Just an fyi for you.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, if that's cut by who I think it is, you certainly won't be seeing any windows! And it will probably be brighter than in the pic. I've often found that inclusions easily seen in blown up vendor pics don't bother me at all IRL. You'll just have to see if it bugs you, and what you think of the size when you get it. Pay attention to your first reaction when you see it. And please post pics. :naughty:

Gary Braun at Finewater posted a light green sapphire just now, though not sure if it leans yellowish or bluish: http://www.finewatergems.com/new-gemstones.html (ETA: ha, Minous, you just beat me to the punch! ;-) )

gemseeker2012

Rough_Rock
Thanks minousbijoux and NKOTB for the tip - it is beautiful and perfect size, I'm just really hoping to get something that's blue-green in color. I'm obsessed (for some unknown reason) with it looking "oceany".

NKOTB, I'm impressed that you can tell who cut it possibly by just looking at it! I will definitely post some pics when it arrives! I'm excited to see it because

Also, any thoughts on whether a halo setting would be ok with this? I read on one of these posts about the lack of light with a halo setting can be a bad thing with lighter colored stones. With such a tiny stone, I'm hoping it will help showcase it a bit!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results