shape
carat
color
clarity

LOGR, NSC, Tiffany Legacy setting

michael_m

Rough_Rock
I apologize for starting a separate thread (as I already have one addressing my search for an e ring), but I felt this issue was worthy of it's own. I'm hoping more people with an LOGR legacy setting can give me some feedback, as I am almost set on the LOGR.

So, I am looking for a replica of the Tiffany legacy setting, and have read the numerous postings on the LOGR setting here. Everyone seems to love it, but there is one detail I'm concerned with that has been brought up, but without a conclusive answer. The detail I'm asking about is the bezel that surrounds the center stone. If you look at the original Tiffany Legacy, the bezel is very small and does not protrude above the surrounding pave diamonds. In many photos that I have seen here, the LOGR setting has a thicker and taller bezel that protrudes above the surrounding pave diamonds (I'm including detail shots to illustrate this). That said, some people say their LOGR setting is like the original Tiffany, but I have yet to see a profile shot that illustrates this.

If anyone has one of the LOGR settings, with a small bezel like the original Tiffany, can you kindly post a profile shot of it? Ideally I want my sapphire center stone to sit deeper and inline with the surrounding pave diamonds, and only have the crown protruding above. I have contacted LOGR with a detail description of what I have described here, but only received a one sentence response that only addressed the size of the ring and my request to upgrade to 18K; he didn't even mentioned what it would cost to upgrade the pave diamonds to higher clarity, which I had asked :(( . Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of time so am hoping they get it right the first time (I need to propose by Christmas). I have also read of issues where some settings arrive without any milgrain, or sometimes only around the outer edge and not the bezel that holds the center stone. I have replied to LOGR, so I'm hoping for a more detailed confirmation and response to my requests.

The Natural Sapphire Company also has a legacy style setting, which appears to be a near exact replica with regards to the issue of the bezel, but I'm only going by the CAD illustration on their site and have yet to see a finished ring. If anyone has one I'd love to see pictures; that said, the cost for one fit to my stones dimensions is $1,900... that's significantly more than the LOGR.

It also seems that the pave diamonds in the original Tiffany and NSC are set at an angle; the LOGR looks like they're set flat, is this true?

All feedback and help with my issue is greatly appreciated!

Tiffany Legacy
Tiffany_Legacy_0.png

NSC legacy
NSC_legacy_0.png

LOGR legacy
LOGR_legacy.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would show the bezel that you want to a very experienced jeweler. I do not like 99% of the bezels done out there, and that includes the shoddy workmanship on the Tiffany Legacy. If you are getting a smaller stone, why not prong set it instead. I find that only the most experienced jewelers can make a nice clean, sharp bezel, and even then, it still covers up a portion of the stone's crown. I have several LOGR legacies with all prong set stones, and I prefer them to any bezel, including Tiffany's.

BTW, you can ask LOGR to add prongs as a modification to that ring. I own that exact ring and had prongs done.

Here it is with a violet blue spinel (which looks identical to a sapphire) with prongs.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/im-sure-youre-all-sick-of-my-spinels-but.160025/

upgraded diamonds on this, but 14K white gold.

I know Cellentani did this ring with a bezel and a blue topaz, but she had an exceptional jeweler, and belive me, a jeweler can make it or break it with a bezel, and ruin the whole setting if he/she does a bad job.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
TL|1322165023|3068377 said:
I would show the bezel that you want to a very experienced jeweler. I do not like 99% of the bezels done out there, and that includes the shoddy workmanship on the Tiffany Legacy. If you are getting a smaller stone, why not prong set it instead. I find that only the most experienced jewelers can make a nice clean, sharp bezel, and even then, it still covers up a portion of the stone's crown. I have several LOGR legacies with all prong set stones, and I prefer them to any bezel, including Tiffany's.

BTW, you can ask LOGR to add prongs as a modification to that ring. I own that exact ring and had prongs done.

Here it is with a violet blue spinel (which looks identical to a sapphire) with prongs.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/im-sure-youre-all-sick-of-my-spinels-but.160025/

I know Cellentani did this ring with a bezel and a blue topaz, but she had an exceptional jeweler, and belive me, a jeweler can make it or break it with a bezel, and ruin the whole setting if he/she does a bad job.

I think this is exceptionally good and pertinent advice.
Does LOGR have an option for a heavier weight version as an upgrade like the diamond upgrade? I know they are very conservative in their metal use. I would want a heavier setting for an er-ing if I wanted it to last a lifetime.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
TL|1322165023|3068377 said:

I have a bezel version- you can search through my old threads for pictures. Mine had the higer bezel and my jeweler was able to set my stone lower (though not as low as what you want, but that was not my perference. ) so it can be done but they really have no know what they are doing. My jeweler was out of Hong Kong at the time. I personally prefer the look of a bezel to prongs however, TL does have some very sound advise as well.

michael_m

Rough_Rock
The prong design would not work, as she says the Tiffany doesn't have it :rolleyes: Let's hope I get a reply from LOGR saying they can do it.

Thanks for your input. Still hoping to see a profile shot of an LOGR legacy with a tiny bezel.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Hi Michael, I'm not around PS much anymore, but I just happened to see this. I think I still have some profile pics of my LOGR - give me a little time to hunt for them, and I'll either post or link them. Bottom line though, is that while the bezel looks as good as any I've seen on an LOGR, it isn't flush like the Tiffany Legacy.

I know exactly what you're talking about though - I too, hated the way the typical LOGR bezel towered above the surrounding bezel like a wedding cake, and took the setting to a well-respected vendor who does custom work. The modifications proved to be quite a challenge - my cushion stone was precision cut, but the outline of the bezel was not completely symmetrical, and they couldn't lower the bezel to be completely flush with the halo (can't remember exactly why). Also, if they had thinned the bezel from the inside, it would have made the opening too large for my stone, so they thinned as much as they could from the outside. But, while it may have been a little thinner, there was more metal space between the diamonds in the halo and the bezel.

Having set a number of stones, I think cushions are the most difficult shape to find settings for. If you have strong aesthetic preferences, the success of your setting will depend on the skill of your benchman and how well you convey the style you want. Ok, let me try to dig up some photos....

cellentani

Ideal_Rock

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Firstly you can't expect an exact replica - nobody will do that - so there will be differences. Secondly, I completely agree with TL that bezel work is an art. The majority I see are NOT good - uneven and lumpy - and that includes LOGR. You can ask LOGR but I suspect that you may be disappointed when it arrives. If you have a good jeweller nearby that would be the best option.

Don't forget that if you buy a setting, the bezel will look higher without a stone inside because the bezel is then bent over the stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results