shape
carat
color
clarity

LOGR legacy setting size?

Jubey

Rough_Rock
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster here. I've finally bitten the bullet and decided to have the famous LOGR legacy cushion milgrain ring made. The issue is, the blue zircon I've chosen as my centre cushion has dimensions that are 7.9x7.6mm. So do I get the 7mm LOGR setting or the 8mm setting? And will it fit correctly? I plan on getting it with prongs and having my own jeweler set it but I need to know what size setting to buy first. Thanks in advance and if you have a version of this ring and would like to post your shots just so I can get excited, feel free!

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock
Email them to custom make the basket in your size and they'll give you a price. I did this recently and it was still affordable. Don't go bigger or smaller than your stone, it will look odd.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And for a proper fit, please send the vendor the depth measurement, as well as the diameter.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yorkgirl|1404821324|3708888 said:
Email them to custom make the basket in your size and they'll give you a price. I did this recently and it was still affordable. Don't go bigger or smaller than your stone, it will look odd.

They charge $50 just to make a new mold, including whatever other fees there are, last I checked. The fee might have changed or went up. I'm not sure if this is "affordable" to some. I find LOGR's prices to have gone up substantially, so much so, I've decided to stop shopping with them. Also, you might have to upgrade diamonds, because their standard diamonds, last I checked, were frozen spit. It might not be the case with you, but I wouldn't risk that.

I think the 8x8 would fit fine. It might cost a lot of money to upgrade the diamonds, but if I were to pay an extra cost for something with an LOGR, that would be it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOGR starts to get expensive if you deviate in any shape, form or fashion from their standard offering.
1. Find out how much he will charge to customize the setting to fit. Verify his return and refund policy with regards to customized settings.
2. If you feel the add-on is too much, I'm guessing an 8x8 mm setting will fit better than a 7x7 mm setting.
3. If there are diamond melees, I highly recommend that you upgrade the diamonds. For me, this is non-negotiable today. Their standard melees used to be very clear and white but have dropped down to the frozen spit variety the last few years unless upgraded.

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock
For them to replace the head on a simple 14k wg pave shank ring it was around 318 incl labour. Sally's pricing was more for a hand forged setting so I decided to go with Sally instead.

Jubey

Rough_Rock
Sorry for my ignorance, but who is Sally? The vendor hasn't got back to me with a quote but an extra $300 to adapt the basket blows the budget somewhat so if anyone can recommend someone else who does similar work for a reasonable price I'd love to hear it. Frozen spit comments are making me a bit wary too and upgrading the diamonds can only make it more exxy so what started out as an affordable option looks like being anything but at this point. I will see what LOGR comes back with anyway on prices.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jubey|1404900296|3709611 said:
Sorry for my ignorance, but who is Sally? The vendor hasn't got back to me with a quote but an extra $300 to adapt the basket blows the budget somewhat so if anyone can recommend someone else who does similar work for a reasonable price I'd love to hear it. Frozen spit comments are making me a bit wary too and upgrading the diamonds can only make it more exxy so what started out as an affordable option looks like being anything but at this point. I will see what LOGR comes back with anyway on prices.

Sally is the person who owns and operates "Heart of Water Jewels" custom jewelry store on Etsy. She is based in Thailand.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/HeartofWaterJewels

There are other ebay dealers in the recommended vendor thread, and I think some can make a new CAD for you if you show them the Legacy. I would compare pricing. Always tell them you want eye clean diamonds however, as many use frozen spit, and you have to clarify.

I haven't used LOGR in years, but I have some stunning settings from them a long time ago, that were quite affordable. I stopped using them because I had noticed that while their workmanship has gone down, their prices have gone dramatically up. Perhaps their workmanship is better now, but they can be pricey. I have several of their Legacy mounts, and some have fabulous workmanship and diamonds, and some do not. It's a bit inconsistent, even if you pay more, from what I have found. I think the other ebay stores, like Jewelryhoo, are a bit more consistent, but then again, they can be pricey too if you use larger clean diamonds. You can also use 10K, which keeps the price down though. I saved $100 on a mount because I used 10K instead of 14K,and I can't see any visible difference between the two colors as it's white gold.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had settings made by LOGR recently and their quality had definitely gone down. That said, for the price they are still very reasonable. Don't hesitate to make them an offer. I always negotiate down the price of a setting. Upgrade the diamonds and ask them to make a custom basket.

That said, my most recent one from them had a custom basket but it didn't fit my stone. They made the halo the size I wanted, but then attached the prongs on the inside of the halo, effectively decreasing the max stone size it could hold down by 0.4mm. My jeweler had to really work the prongs to make the stone fit ($$$), and it is still sits higher than I like.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kama_s|1404914615|3709710 said:
I have had settings made by LOGR recently and their quality had definitely gone down. That said, for the price they are still very reasonable. Don't hesitate to make them an offer. I always negotiate down the price of a setting. Upgrade the diamonds and ask them to make a custom basket.

That said, my most recent one from them had a custom basket but it didn't fit my stone. They made the halo the size I wanted, but then attached the prongs on the inside of the halo, effectively decreasing the max stone size it could hold down by 0.4mm. My jeweler had to really work the prongs to make the stone fit ($$$), and it is still sits higher than I like.

Another thing, make sure they respond to all your requests in writing, any ebay jewelry seller. I ususally write down the specifics like this and they respond back, agreeing to all the points.

10K WHITE gold
SI quality diamonds (eye clean)
Size 7
customized to fit 10x8 oval
4 prongs set on halo

You should pay through an ebay listing, although they're very keen to do it outside of ebay as it saves them fees. I trust them, but if you have an issue, you should have ebay protection as a recourse.

I recently worked with a customized Jewelryhoo piece, and I noticed a sharp increase in their pricing, but the setting fit my stone perfectly and looked like the original listing. They also charge a $50 mold fee, but the price seemed acceptable based on what I wanted. I also recommend looking at pre-loved settings too, or even going to the mall to see what discounts they have. I seriously think LOGR and the other Chinese ebay sellers are now on par in pricing with your basic mall jewelers. I never thought I would suggest them, but that's how high the prices have become, it's nuts. I only went with Jewelryhoo because I couldn't find a preloved, or discounted mall store setting that would fit the size and shape of my stone no matter how hard I looked.

Kama,
Sorry to hear their workmanship has gone downhill, especially in lieu of the pricing, you would think it would be better. That's unfortunate.

Below is one of my very best LOGR legacy settings. The diamonds are very clean for LOGR, and it's a yellow gold with white gold shank. It was customized for a 9.5mm head. The millgrain is done very well for their quality. I have some with horrible or no millgrain, frozen spit diamonds and lumpy metal work. I also had it customized with double prongs.

tllogrlegacy.jpg

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1404914942|3709713 said:
kama_s|1404914615|3709710 said:

Another thing, make sure they respond to all your requests in writing, any ebay jewelry seller. I ususally write down the specifics like this and they respond back, agreeing to all the points.

10K WHITE gold
SI quality diamonds (eye clean)
Size 7
customized to fit 10x8 oval
4 prongs set on halo

You should pay through an ebay listing, although they're very keen to do it outside of ebay as it saves them fees. I trust them, but if you have an issue, you should have ebay protection as a recourse.

I recently worked with a customized Jewelryhoo piece, and I noticed a sharp increase in their pricing, but the setting fit my stone perfectly and looked like the original listing. They also charge a $50 mold fee, but the price seemed acceptable based on what I wanted. I also recommend looking at pre-loved settings too, or even going to the mall to see what discounts they have. I seriously think LOGR and the other Chinese ebay sellers are now on par in pricing with your basic mall jewelers. I never thought I would suggest them, but that's how high the prices have become, it's nuts. I only went with Jewelryhoo because I couldn't find a preloved, or discounted mall store setting that would fit the size and shape of my stone no matter how hard I looked.

Kama,
Sorry to hear their workmanship has gone downhill, especially in lieu of the pricing, you would think it would be better. That's unfortunate.

That, and the ring is also so much lighter than their previous rings! I am terrified it would snap into half on me, but take solace in the fact that I wear my coloured stone rings infrequently.

Here in Canada, mall store pricing is still ridiculously high. Like, stupidly high. So LOGR and Jewelryhoo remain a more affordable option for me, sadly.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kama_s|1404915849|3709718 said:
That, and the ring is also so much lighter than their previous rings! I am terrified it would snap into half on me, but take solace in the fact that I wear my coloured stone rings infrequently.

Here in Canada, mall store pricing is still ridiculously high. Like, stupidly high. So LOGR and Jewelryhoo remain a more affordable option for me, sadly.

Too bad, they used to use a lot of gold, but I noticed that all ebay vendors are getting "light" on the gold and using tinier and tinier diamonds. I saw a beautiful mall ring with champagne diamonds and white diamonds that was around $600 in 14K rose gold. It was a pretty good deal because the same ring would probably be over $1K with LOGR or another ebay vendor. You could also win things on auction, for a good price, but now they've all set reserves and I've noticed than none of their auction pieces starting at $1 bids are selling.

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock

318 was the total cost including the modified basket.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yorkgirl|1404917019|3709723 said:

318 was the total cost including the modified basket.

$318 was the TOTAL cost for the whole ring??? Hmmm, that sounds a bit inexpensive for LOGR. I wonder if the diamonds became much smaller, or the gold weight is much lighter. Do you have the original LOGR listing for the Legacy?

I was never able to negotiate them down, but perhaps others can????

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yorkgirl|1404920985|3709745 said:
I didn't negotiate, this is the price they gave me. Not a halo - as I mentioned its a simple pave shank.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/193417659/6x8mm-emerald-cut-emerald-engagement

Logr wrote: 10 business days to remake it in size 4.5 for your a 6.9 x 8.3 mm rectangular cut stone, thee best we can do is $318, $30 non-refundable labor included, DHL express and insurance free (USA) plus 30 dday money back guarantee.

Thank you Yorkgirl. That's not the Legacy, which has more diamonds, larger diamonds, and more gold. The Legacy is pretty expensive these days. You have a nice setting, but that's what I would expect to pay with the ebay setting dealers for a non-halo with smaller diamonds.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't find the Legacy in the listings, but this is similar, but the diamonds are much smaller. The diamonds in my existing legacies are much larger. This also doesn't have the surprise diamond. The LOGR Legacy is an almost identical copy to the Tiffany Legacy. I know because I went to a Tiffany store and compared to my own LOGR legacy, same diamond amout, size, gold amount, etc. .

https://www.etsy.com/listing/160266544/pave-diamond-halo-14k-white-gold-8mm?ref=shop_home_active_7

Make sure its the actual Legacy style, unless you like something different.

ETA: Here it is and once you add prongs and true SI diamonds, the cost will go up.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/193421910/for-blaneskilessize-55-14k-white-gold450?ref=shop_home_active_8

Maybe to some this is still a good deal.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a beautiful, sturdy Legacy setting from LOGR with upgraded diamonds for under $150 around 4 years ago. Kicking myself for not hoarding more empty settings, but that was not feasible on a measly graduate student stipend ;(

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kama_s|1404960517|3710208 said:
I bought a beautiful, sturdy Legacy setting from LOGR with upgraded diamonds for under $150 around 4 years ago. Kicking myself for not hoarding more empty settings, but that was not feasible on a measly graduate student stipend ;(

Yes, those were the days. Not anymore unfortunately. Gold prices went up too much and despite them falling again, jewelers are not going down in price.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kama_s|1404960517|3710208 said:

Agree with you many times over. ;(

Jubey

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all your advice - I took most of it! I got LOGR to make a custom ring to fit my stone (thank you, that was excellent advice) and added prongs and the cost was the same as buying a standard setting, so no extra charge there. The stone has yet to be set, it only arrived today but it's very very blingy, I'm told zircons are. I'll have to be careful as they chip fairly easily but hopefully the halo will protect it a bit.

Now back to the setting - those of you who said the stones are small, yes they are. I did expect them to be a little bigger. I took your advice about frozen spit (ha!) and asked to upgrade the colour but was told that would cost an extra $200!! Uh, no. And I have to say, it didn't need it, I'm glad I didn't spend the extra money on that. I might have gotten them a touch bigger though in retrospect. Regardless, they've done a great job for the price and I'm happy. I just need to find a decent jeweller to set them now. I have another halo ring with a pink tourmaline that I also need set and resized so I might be able to gets deal for both. Thank you for all your help, I knew I could count on you!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your review. I haven't read any LOGR PS reviews for quite a while.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results