shape
carat
color
clarity

Little tsavorite

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Well, I feel like I have been sucked into the colored gem world. I read Freak Child's post about Barbara at ACS. I went on the site, and I saw this tsavorite. I thought it had so much color and life, and than I saw it was on sale. I e-mailed Barbara about that and another stone and she suggested this stone over the other one I was interested in. And this was the cheeper stone. So I decided to get it. Before I get into the tsav, I just want to say, Barbara was very quick to answer my e-mails. The website was very easy to use, and she followed up 1/2 hour after I bought the stone. I feel the photograph of the stone represents what I see person. Overall, this was a very positive online shopping experience.

So now the trav :). It is a 0.73 ct cushion (a baby compaired to my sapphire). it is 5 x5.5 mm

Here are a couple pics inside, I will try to get outside pics in a couple days

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
last one for tonight. I am always open to honest opionions. And I don't know if I will set it right away, but I am trying to figure out if a ring or necklace would be better. I am also not sure how to set it, I am leaning towards bezel, but if anyone has any other ideas, I would love to hear them.

travcrop2_1.jpg

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s a beautiful stone and I love the color. I heard Barbara is great to work with.

Linda

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, it is so vibrant!!! Love the color
3.gif
3.gif
3.gif
How are you planning to set it?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure bezel is the best idea if the stone is as dark as on these photos - it might make it look blackish. For the same reason I think it might look better in yellow gold than in anything white (but it''s your call of course...). Apart from that, you''ll have to think about the details.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Looks great to me!

I would advise against a bezel as it will make it look darker. A half bezel would look good, or a prong setting. Tsavorites are relatively easy to chip so choose a setting that doesn't involve too much work around the stone.

Whatever you do, don't set a tsavorite in yellow gold. It will bring out any yellow in the stone - which you DO NOT want with a tsavorite.

icekid

Ideal_Rock

LtlFirecracker- what a pretty little tsav! Hmm, what about a halo pendant?

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty!
36.gif
I agree with Pandora about staying away from YG. There''s nothing like a Tsav set in WG or platinum. The contrast is gorgeous plus it doesn''t enhance the yellow in the stone.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it! Such a beautiful shade of green. And I''m always happy to be of assistance in finding a new gem site.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great tsav. No yellow at all, and maybe even has a hint of blue. I''d go for as open a setting as possible.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty color.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/6/2008 5:24:42 PM
Author: marcyc
Very pretty color.
HI:

Agreed!

cheers--Sharon

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for the replys. I was 99% sure this stone was a keeper, but now I am set on it.

I understand what everyone is saying about the bezel thing. I just finally got to take the stone out into daylight (I left for work before the sun came out this morning), and it stays dark, but has a great brillance. I can''t wait to get some pics tomorrow. I work with my hands, and this stone is not as hard as my sapphire, so I am trying to find something that will work for both looks and practical purposes. I like the idea of a half bezel with open sides, but I will look at other settings too, I think everyone made some good suggestions. I am a white metal girl, so I am going for WG. Maybe tomorrow I will throw some ideas up and ask for some opinions. Pandora, can you define a lot of work? Would something like a halo be considered a lot of work?

Thanks again for the nice replys.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/6/2008 9:17:11 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
Thanks everyone for the replys. I was 99% sure this stone was a keeper, but now I am set on it.

I understand what everyone is saying about the bezel thing. I just finally got to take the stone out into daylight (I left for work before the sun came out this morning), and it stays dark, but has a great brillance. I can't wait to get some pics tomorrow. I work with my hands, and this stone is not as hard as my sapphire, so I am trying to find something that will work for both looks and practical purposes. I like the idea of a half bezel with open sides, but I will look at other settings too, I think everyone made some good suggestions. I am a white metal girl, so I am going for WG. Maybe tomorrow I will throw some ideas up and ask for some opinions. Pandora, can you define a lot of work? Would something like a halo be considered a lot of work?

I'm late to the party but wanted to congratulate you on your new acquisition!

SO Pretty!

LS

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/6/2008 9:17:11 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker

I understand what everyone is saying about the bezel thing. I just finally got to take the stone out into daylight (I left for work before the sun came out this morning), and it stays dark, but has a great brillance. I can''t wait to get some pics tomorrow. I work with my hands, and this stone is not as hard as my sapphire, so I am trying to find something that will work for both looks and practical purposes. I like the idea of a half bezel with open sides, but I will look at other settings too, I think everyone made some good suggestions. I am a white metal girl, so I am going for WG. Maybe tomorrow I will throw some ideas up and ask for some opinions. Pandora, can you define a lot of work? Would something like a halo be considered a lot of work?

Prong set with a halo! Bezelling willl be too much hammering round the stone.

You want to protect the stone as much as you can. To be honest if you work with your hands, unless you mean typing, I would advise you not to wear the stone at the same time. The worst I ever do in my ring is go shopping.

Garnet is nowhere near as hard as sapphire. The Mohs scale is not one that goes up by doubling everytime. The gap between 9 and 10 is greater than the gap between 1 and 9. And the gap between 7.25 and 9 is pretty HUGE.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/7/2008 6:13:05 AM
Author: Pandora II

Prong set with a halo! Bezelling willl be too much hammering round the stone.

You want to protect the stone as much as you can. To be honest if you work with your hands, unless you mean typing, I would advise you not to wear the stone at the same time. The worst I ever do in my ring is go shopping.

Garnet is nowhere near as hard as sapphire. The Mohs scale is not one that goes up by doubling everytime. The gap between 9 and 10 is greater than the gap between 1 and 9. And the gap between 7.25 and 9 is pretty HUGE.
Yeah, I kind of figured out that this stone could not go work after I wrote my reply last night. This wil have to be a "day off" piece of jewelry. I am a little tired and slow thinking right now. But it is nice to have people who have experience with these stones. Alright, I will look at prong settings for this stone.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Lost sapphire: Late???? What are you taking about???

Freke: Thanks, yeah, I don''t know how I missed this site.

Chrono: I am going to be looking at prong settings now with the advice that you and the other have given me. Thanks for breaking down the color :).

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Aright, just one more in natural light since that is where tsavorits are supposed to do best

mictav2.JPG

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s beautiful LF. I love the color, it is so rich and green. Truly beautiful.

Linda

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Here are some setting ideas based on what you have all told me.

Whiteflash ring

Bev K This one is nice, not sure it it will be too much or not

There is one more, I can't remeber the designer's name....I will have to think

ETA: Thanks Linda, we are cross posting!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the Bev K one
30.gif
, but that is just me.

Linda

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Ltlfirecracker,

So I haven't been on PS much, came back to post my sapphire and found your thread and your beautiful new stone! So pretty!!!!! Love it!!!

I really envision it in a modern type setting... not sure what I would do with it but it is going to be beautiful! Do you wear necklaces? It would be a really pretty pendant and then you would have less worry about it chipping, just an idea!

Oh, and re: BevK I had been looking at them too - the quality is great, and I really like that setting, but somehow I just see that tsav in a more streamlined and modern setting, I don't know! I could really see it with diamond baguettes (one on each side) but then your setting may cost more than your stone... can't wait to see what you end up doing!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous! I always vote RING!!! That way you can stare at it more. Otherwise people will wonder why you look in the mirror so much. Someday when I get my diamond pendant I will be in that postion
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results