shape
carat
color
clarity

Lighter tone copper bearing tourmalines

RSargent

Shiny_Rock
Chrono mentioned that the lighter sea green blue copper bearing tourmalines can not be called paraiba because they lack neon saturation. That makes sense even though many sellers call them that. My question is that are these lighter copper bearing stones also only found in the mines that true paraibas are found and if so would they be more rare than non copper bearing blue green? I have always been drawn to these stones although they are not deeply saturated or super bold in color...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RSargent|1390150282|3596184 said:
Chrono mentioned that the lighter sea green blue copper bearing tourmalines can not be called paraiba because they lack neon saturation. That makes sense even though many sellers call them that. My question is that are these lighter copper bearing stones also only found in the mines that true paraibas are found and if so would they be more rare than non copper bearing blue green? I have always been drawn to these stones although they are not deeply saturated or super bold in color...

I'm not sure about the mine situation, and I would imagine they're found in similar locations in Mozambique, Nigeria and Brazil. However, you can find very attractive slightly bluish green tourmalines in Afghanistan, the United States, and other parts of Africa as well. I think NIgeria had some, although they were a bit darker than the bright seafoam green color you mention.

I think that color is generally rarer in tourmaline, although not as rare as true neon blue paraibas. It does command higher pricing, but no where near the pricing of true, fine paraibas.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results