shape
carat
color
clarity

light yellowish-green(?) OEC diamond

fel

Shiny_Rock
Any thoughts on this as a replacement E-ring? I can no longer wear my original E-ring -- the shank is too thick
and my fingers change sizes too much throughout the day to handle a thick ring.

I have 2 weeks to decide if I am keeping this diamond.
1.1 carats, strong white florescence, possible phosphorescence (I think I see it).
Seller said VS2 but I think probably lower because I can see an occlusion just barely with my eyes, readily with my
eyes during florescence, and definitely with loupe.
Color -- I am requesting opinions. To me it looks yellowish green when a light is shining on it, and white (isn)
when there is no direct lights. It may have chameleon properties, per seller

No cert -- I will have someone competent look at it before deciding to keep it. If I keep it I will send it off
for a GIA.

Ignore the setting -- it came like that, and would be reset if kept.

First some pictures with no direct light (inside a lit room on rainy day.)

cd2.jpg

cd_1.jpg

fel

Shiny_Rock
Now with a UV light pointed directly at it.

cd4.jpg

_9263.jpg

cd6.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fel|1377292294|3508828 said:
Any thoughts on this as a replacement E-ring? I can no longer wear my original E-ring -- the shank is too thick
and my fingers change sizes too much throughout the day to handle a thick ring.

I have 2 weeks to decide if I am keeping this diamond.
1.1 carats, strong white florescence, possible phosphorescence (I think I see it).
Seller said VS2 but I think probably lower because I can see an occlusion just barely with my eyes, readily with my
eyes during florescence, and definitely with loupe.
Color -- I am requesting opinions. To me it looks yellowish green when a light is shining on it, and white (isn)
when there is no direct lights. It may have chameleon properties, per seller

No cert -- I will have someone competent look at it before deciding to keep it. If I keep it I will send it off
for a GIA.

Ignore the setting -- it came like that, and would be reset if kept.

First some pictures with no direct light (inside a lit room on rainy day.)

Depends on the price, and OEC's are popular right now. Looks like one of those off white colors, like a K,L,M and beyond on the diamond color list. You might want to post this in RockyTalky, as there are more diamond aficionados there.

fel

Shiny_Rock
TL,

I do think this diamond has more color then you might think. For comparison, I have it next to my F/G diamond ring.
-Fel

cd7.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only way to know for sure what the color is, is to send it off to the GIA for a lab report. It could also have brown in it, which affects the value, even if it is in the "fancy" range. Good luck.

fel

Shiny_Rock
I need to decide if I am keeping it before I can send it off to GIA. But I don't see any brown at all. My pictures really distort the color -- it looks lime green when a light is directly on it. I put it away in the dark for now, so perhaps tomorrow I'll know if it is a chameleon.

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
I think what everyone wants know before they give you advice is what you paid for the stone.

fel

Shiny_Rock
It was $1300, including the setting which I would want to sell or melt.

Venti25

Shiny_Rock
I love it, I can't comment on price point etc but I love the uniqueness.

If I can ask, was this an online purchase or local jeweller?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not an expert on what OEC's are going for these days, but if you do a search on ebay or otherwise for 1 carat off white or fancy light yellow OEC's, you may be able to get a general idea. I personally think $1300 is very little for a 1.1 carat diamond, so I think it's a good buy, but I would research it if I were you.

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
I love the color (from what I can see) and I think the price is fair. The setting will not yield much money as a melt price, but even still, I think you did fine. The stone is really unique which makes it hard to make comparisons. Do you love it? If so, well done!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Perhaps you can clarify a point. It seems that when the ultra violet pen light is on it, it turns this yellow green. If it is outdoors in sunlight,(due to the UV rays), it also turns yellowish green. In both cases it is due to the flouresence. and does not appear to be there in indoor or shady lighting conditions. So if it has green flouresence, is that really a color,or just the green flouresence changing the color.

I like the color , and if this color is present when no UV light is there, its definitely something I would consider. Looks very nice.

Annette

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

fel

Shiny_Rock
So here are the updates-

-- I have not yet seen chameleon properties so I am not sure they really exist. I did not see anything different after it was in the dark for 8 hours. If it needs to be in the dark longer, that has not been tested -- however, I now have doubts that it has these thermochronic or photochronic properties. Those who are theorizing that the color change is florescence may be on the right track. See the attached pictures -- the pretty colors seem tied to at least partial UV activation.

--On the other hand --it definitely has phosphorescence (continued light emission after a blacklight is turned off) for about 10-15 seconds.

-- the color of the diamond in my house (which is not well lit, I must admit) with no direct light shining on the diamond seems just be that of a white diamond (perhaps slightly yellow. ) I do think the gold setting is influencing however, so I did an experiment and tried to take some pictures with a tin foil surround, and with a copper (simulating pink gold) surround.

I would love to hear more theories about this diamond's color -- it is all very interesting to me, aside from the question at hand about keeping it.

Fel

tin_foil_wanning_sunlight_uv_filtered.jpg

copper_in_bright_bathroom.jpg

copper_amp_led_flashlight.jpg

copper--_less_direct_led.jpg

fel

Shiny_Rock
TL|1377374701|3509197 said:
It could be fluorescence causing the yellowish green color. In artificial light, is it the color of any of these OEC's? This thread shows some beautiful rings, and some off white and yellowish diamonds.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/chicago-diamondzone-visit-psers-have-a-blingapalooza.192677/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/chicago-diamondzone-visit-psers-have-a-blingapalooza.192677/[/URL]

So I love all these stones TL and wish I could say if this one looks the same. It is just really hard to tell with the setting in yellow gold, when clearly this is a diamond that needs to be in white or pink gold to be at its best. In my house, in the evening, the diamond looks white/slightly yellow (like an M diamond) in the gold setting, a little bit more towards fancy yellow in the silver surround, and gray to slightly olive green in the copper surround. As soon as I shine a light on it, it is much different.

btw: the melt value of the gold in the setting is about $130.00, so perhaps I could get close to $100 for the setting.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like what you did with the foil, it looks so nice without the yellow gold setting, which doesn't really suit it IMHO. So it's like you paid $1200 for the stone if you sell the mount. I think I would keep it to be honest, for that price. The GIA report is probably going to be pricey though. Unless you think it's a chameleon, or really a fancy colored diamond, I wouldn't bother shipping it off.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I love the color under the led light. If you could get to remain that color, is definitely a keeper. Some people on this board understand lighting. Hopefully they will reply.

I was disappointed when I bought an opal that looked beautiful on black, but when it was rested on any other color it as clear with much less play of color. Someone on the board, Vapid Lapid had one solution. and so if and when I set it, I will try to use black gold.
I would put something black on the bottom of the setting in anycase so as not to lose the play of color. Someone should invent something in black to show of the color in these opals.

My point being that perhaps someone could come up with how to show off that green in the diamond. Perhaps an undermount uv light. OK that silly, but, the silver looks good. Maybe the white gold will do it.

Annette

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
smitcompton|1377444273|3509497 said:
Hi,

I love the color under the led light. If you could get to remain that color, is definitely a keeper. Some people on this board understand lighting. Hopefully they will reply.

I was disappointed when I bought an opal that looked beautiful on black, but when it was rested on any other color it as clear with much less play of color. Someone on the board, Vapid Lapid had one solution. and so if and when I set it, I will try to use black gold.
I would put something black on the bottom of the setting in anycase so as not to lose the play of color. Someone should invent something in black to show of the color in these opals.

My point being that perhaps someone could come up with how to show off that green in the diamond. Perhaps an undermount uv light. OK that silly, but, the silver looks good. Maybe the white gold will do it.

Annette
Smitcompton,
Not to stray off topic, but I had a gorgeous moonstone set by Janish Jewels on etsy and she backed the stone in oxidized silver... This is a great way to set that opal to enhance play of color.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Sphene,

Many thanks. Will look into it whenthe time comes to set it.

Annette

fel

Shiny_Rock
re: the "tangent": Wasn't the old style of "foiling" meant to offer a dark background? I know that was a very fragile way of setting things, but surely there would be a modern version.

If I do keep it I was thinking a Caleb Meyer open bezel setting in white or pink gold (haven't decided yet). But I do need to get it appraised to make sure that it wasn't treated or anything.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
TL|1377394347|3509337 said:
I really like what you did with the foil, it looks so nice without the yellow gold setting, which doesn't really suit it IMHO. So it's like you paid $1200 for the stone if you sell the mount. I think I would keep it to be honest, for that price. The GIA report is probably going to be pricey though. Unless you think it's a chameleon, or really a fancy colored diamond, I wouldn't bother shipping it off.
+1

Like the uniqueness of this stone.

fel

Shiny_Rock
I wanted to update you all and thank you for your help and opinions. I had David Atlas look at the stone. He was terrific -- of course extremely knowledgeable but also just a fun guy to meet with for a chat about gems. (I would love to take a continuing ed course on this someday... hint hint David)

Anyway -- David thinks the stone is not treated, although the only way to know for sure is via GIA. Certain treatments like HPHT would not be possible with this diamond owing to a large inclusion, and others would be expected to dissolve the inclusion.

Also he does not see it acting as a chameleon. He did note the strong flouro, so that is probably what causes the perceived color change.

His estimate is that it could by one of these body colored diamonds (xyz) or possibly could be fancy light greenish-yellow. For comparison, we held it up to an ST, and mine was much more colored.

Even though, as suspected, my diamond is not VS2 (more like in the 'I' range, owing to a "flag" visible from certain angles) and it may be a tad smaller than the seller estimated, and it is not a chameleon, I am tempted to keep it. If I do, I will send it off to GIA to see what they say. (I know this is costly, but if I open bezel set it as intended, it will be hard to do this again at some future time) Which brings me to my next question --

What kind of report do I need from GIA to just tell me the color grading and to say it is untreated?

Thanks!
Fel

fel

Shiny_Rock
Re: light yellowish-green(?) OEC diamond-settings?

Update: it came back from GIA U-V light yellow, natural origin. I did not get the clarity check, but it is probably I1 given the visible inclusions.

I guess the green is from the fluorescence (and phosphorescence).

I'd love some suggests about setting it. DBL does a wonderful job with these stones, but they do not seem to work on stones not sourced through them. Are there other comparable options? Also I'd like it to be comfortable for everyday wear.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: light yellowish-green(?) OEC diamond-settings?

I did not see this thread at all so I'm happy that you've come back to update us on the OEC results. Overall, I think you did quite well considering the diamond and setting. What sort of design are you considering? Most setters are better suited to a particular style, so I prefer to make the correct recommendation.

fel

Shiny_Rock
Great question Chrono. I really appreciate your help and interest.

So my goal here would be to emphasize the Green -- that to me is the special component of the diamond. I am glad I was correct that it shows no brown modifiers -- I love my dark orange brown diamond next too its blowy green emerald (in my avatar), but dislike brown as a modifier of other colors such as white diamonds.

As I mentioned above I love the DBL rings esp. with the pink halos. I am a bit of a quality snob -- I come from a family of artists and prefer to have things one of a kind. Prongs that catch on clothes are a deal breaker -- almost all my jewelry is bezeled or close to bezeled (e.g. half bezel, or thick carved holders instead of straight prongs.) I love Van Craeynest and would buy the current ring up on loupe if it as about 1 half size larger. I can't afford new VC.

My old engagement ring is seen on one of the pictures above. It is too thick in the shank to accommodate my fingers, which seem to change size day by day depending on weather. I can only wear that about 2 days a year, even after a resize that did some compression of the shank. I am thinking that original ring should just be saved for a future grand-daughter (I have 2 boys).

To emphasize green, I guess one could use rose gold. I would not mind that, but am starting to become interested in antique platinum settings as long as they are not too busy.

I am not looking to be super flashy -- I take the subway in Philly and don't want people starting at my rings. I dress more "arty" than anything else -- often with hand crafted sweaters, scarves and hats ( my mother is an artist who makes hats and hat pins). Most of my arty stuff is purchased on ebay second hand so I can get good deals.

Best,
Fel

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is one cool stone! I too see green in some of your shots, so that's amazing it came back to different from the lab. I also wanted to remark on your pics. I actually was thinking to myself now where did the OP find foil in various metal colors, not realizing it was all copper with just different lighting effects. Huge difference form pic to pic. Love it.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
What an interesting old diamond!

I wanted to point out that you may not be able to half-bezel it if the girdle is very thin or knife edge. Did your appraiser mention the girdle at all? Many old cuts have very thin and delicate girdles that need to be protected in an enclosing mount, either a full bezel or else a prong setting that covers and protects the sides.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
fel|1382735398|3544669 said:
As I mentioned above I love the DBL rings esp. with the pink halos. I am a bit of a quality snob -- I come from a family of artists and prefer to have things one of a kind. Prongs that catch on clothes are a deal breaker -- almost all my jewelry is bezeled or close to bezeled (e.g. half bezel, or thick carved holders instead of straight prongs.) I love Van Craeynest and would buy the current ring up on loupe if it as about 1 half size larger. I can't afford new VC.
If you're a quality snob, you likely do not want DBL to make your ring. He uses a few different benches, and they vary quite a bit in quality from what I've seen on PS. And the customer service is less than stellar, again from other PSers.

You could potentially do tab prongs or something like that. Or look for a pre-loved mount. Do you have a budget set yet?

There are also other solutions to your ring being too small, such as horseshoe sizers and such. Have you looked into that?

fel

Shiny_Rock
HI,

Sorry above when I mentioned my emerald with brown diamond, I meant it was "glowy" not "blowy". I hate spell check.

I've tried sending this message several times but it keeps erasing. Please excuse any repost.

What would YOU do for a stone like this. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. I can say the original belcher setting was NOT complimentary. Also rings with too many prongs would not be every comfortable. Unusual/arty settings are especially appreciated. Please be creative. This is only one carat.. My goal would be to wear it every day (even in questionable neighborhoods) with an eternity type wedding ring, perhaps deco looking.

Fel

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results