shape
carat
color
clarity

Light spinel

Pretzel

Rough_Rock
While I am searching for the perfect orange-red spinel, I found this pale 2+ carat spinel which I quite like the look of. But I can't really think of the perfect setting for such a light stone. Would a diamond halo look strange?

Would love to see what other people have done with light stones!

_10713.jpg

_10714.jpg

_10715.jpg

_10716.jpg

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm really a newbie to CS so maybe my advice isn't that professional, but just wanted to say that I love the purple/pink color of this spinel, it's really subtle and pretty (at least on my monitor) :bigsmile:

Personally I would put it in a rose gold setting to bring out the pink/purple hues but that's just my personal preference :)

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
I think it would look really pretty in rose gold or oxidized black silver or gold. A diamond halo would be pretty. Rose-cut diamonds would also be pretty to incorporate. I'm not usually a huge fan of black diamonds as an end to themselves, but I think they make pretty accents (or halos) with this kind of pale purpley pink.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I saw that one and I think it's beautiful. I think it would be beautiful in a halo but I can see it being the star of the show without a halo too. I agree that rose gold would be stunning.

Pretzel

Rough_Rock
I'm limited to platinum settings because of my allergies so the band will have to be platinum, but the decorative bits can be something else, like rose gold. I'm not the biggest fan of rose gold, but I will have a search on google to find examples of it with pale purple-pink stones.

velouriaL|1381412500|3535241 said:
I'm not usually a huge fan of black diamonds as an end to themselves, but I think they make pretty accents (or halos) with this kind of pale purpley pink.

Do you mean like this?

I've never seen anything like this in black. I've always been a big fan of a blue sapphire halo around a pale stone.

Here are some alternatives for comparison:

cushion_cut_diamond_engagement_ring_with_black_diamond_halo.jpg

mand-r204.jpg

il_91.jpg

nk28669pk-18wr_three_qrtr_3.jpg

Pretzel

Rough_Rock
And more alternatives:

I see the appeal of the rose gold with the pink stones!

I will take some pictures when the spinel arrives. It will be nice to get out my macro lens and lightbox again!

r4444-omb-ring-a.jpg

abr019301rgmo-1-500x500.jpg

1001smiles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I love light spinels, they are so sparkly. Yours seems well cut and a pretty color. In my experience, these look best in rose gold, even if just the basket is rose gold. And a very open mount, if it's too closed up, they may gray out. I look forward to your pictures once you get the stone.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't put it in rose gold. It looks like it'd be too light to be "enhanced" by the metal color and would actually end up looking more white against the warmth of the metal.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love pale spinels in halos because they emphasize the facet pattern, and yours has a nice cut on it. I also wouldn't discount yellow gold either, as it might bring the pink/purple out more, believe it or not. I think the rose metal might compete too much with the delicate color of the spinel, and white metal might wash it out. HTH.

The high crown on that stone, with the pale color, and the faceting, are sure to make a really sparkling combination. ;))

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1381447194|3535558 said:
I love pale spinels in halos because they emphasize the facet pattern, and yours has a nice cut on it. I also wouldn't discount yellow gold either, as it might bring the pink/purple out more, believe it or not. I think the rose metal might compete too much with the delicate color of the spinel, and white metal might wash it out. HTH.

The high crown on that stone, with the pale color, and the faceting, are sure to make a really sparkling combination. ;))

+1

Pretzel

Rough_Rock
TL|1381447194|3535558 said:
I also wouldn't discount yellow gold either, as it might bring the pink/purple out more, believe it or not. I think the rose metal might compete too much with the delicate color of the spinel, and white metal might wash it out.

I suspected the same with the platinum! Hard to find shots of a pale purple stone in yellow gold, though.

I can see what you mean about highlighting the purple using a somewhat complementary colour:

And I can see that I could still have a platinum band too (different ring):

I will keep searching!

_10753.jpg

_10754.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's some pale purple stones in YG.

palepurpleinyellow.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL, is that high karat gold? It looks quite yellow. I also think it would look good in the yellow color of regular 14k. :))

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1381476957|3535756 said:
TL, is that high karat gold? It looks quite yellow. I also think it would look good in the yellow color of regular 14k. :))

I don't think that's 18K. You could use 14K, or even 10K if you're under a budget. 18K tends to be very buttery, although there are different alloys that are more buttery yellow than others.

Pretzel

Rough_Rock
The google images info says that is 10k gold, actually. It is from ebay.

The band will be platinum, so I'm not bothered what gold is used for the mount. Whatever looks best and is most practical!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Can you put in a rose gold setting with a rose gold cut underneath to enhance the color?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With it being so pale yet well cut, I'm guessing yellow gold will suit it best. Rose will be too strong for it and a white metal might make it look "blah". Are you still considering getting it or just musing?

Pretzel

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1381549102|3536230 said:
With it being so pale yet well cut, I'm guessing yellow gold will suit it best. Rose will be too strong for it and a white metal might make it look "blah". Are you still considering getting it or just musing?

I am waiting for its arrival so I can see the colour in person. I will take some pictures for PS! ::)

I am leaning towards a setting like this, but reversing the platinum and gold. May not choose white diamonds as accent stones either.

http://www.jewelryexpert.com/catalog/Purple-Sapphire-Willow-Ring-er.htm

_10795.jpg

_10796.jpg

_10797.jpg

_10798.jpg

Pretzel

Rough_Rock
The spinel arrived and I haven't even seen it in daylight yet (working too much!). DH promised to take proper macro photos this weekend but I couldn't wait until then. So, here are some iPhone shots with a single overhead light (incandescent?). I had the bright idea to use the loupe as a makeshift macro lens. Can't do much about the grain, flares or contrast though!

This is without the loupe.

I find it utterly impossible to take a representing photo of the gem because of how sparkly it is. Plus it soaks up whatever is around it.

More in next post.

_11219.jpg

Pretzel

Rough_Rock
With the loupe.

Under the loupe, I can see the inclusions and what looks like a tilt window (haven't uploaded the photos where it is most visible)?

Cannot see any inclusions under naked eye, and there is no noticeable window face up. With such a light gem, I wonder if windows are inevitable?

_11220.jpg

_11221.jpg

_11222.jpg

_11223.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Every stone will have a window once you tilt it to a certain degree past looking at it completely straight on - even diamonds do. So color has nothing to do with it. Lower RI stones will show a tilt window at smaller angles. It can also be the product of a stone not being cut at correct angles for it's type, which is often the result of rough size and shape and the goal of the cutter. If it doesn't show a window from straight on, it's acceptable.

How's the color?

Pretzel

Rough_Rock
More saturated than I expected!

It is noticeably pinkish purple. Normally light purples are greyish but this has a warmth to it (pink glow) that makes the gem come alive. Because the shades are so delicate, I am being very careful about setting it. I want to capture the delicacy and blush. I fear a traditional halo would be too distracting and side stones may wash it out or change it.

This is most Iike the actual colour:

_11224.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pretzel|1382562906|3543141 said:

It is noticeably pinkish purple. Normally light purples are greyish but this has a warmth to it (pink glow) that makes the gem come alive. Because the shades are so delicate, I am being very careful about setting it. I want to capture the delicacy and blush. I fear a traditional halo would be too distracting and side stones may wash it out or change it.

Do you have a jewelry store nearby that has lots of settings to could put it on, to see how the different styles would suit it? That often helps!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well Pretzel, then you did very well! How nice to have a soft pinkish purple. It looks decently cut to boot. I'll have to go back and look, but did you say this was your first gem purchase? Very well done! :appl: :appl:

Pretzel

Rough_Rock
FrekeChild, I would normally ask my cousin (a jeweler) for help but I no longer live nearby. :blackeye:

This sounds like a wonderful excuse to go visit lots of jewelry shops near us though. :mrgreen:

minousbijoux|1382564259|3543170 said:
Well Pretzel, then you did very well! How nice to have a soft pinkish purple. It looks decently cut to boot. I'll have to go back and look, but did you say this was your first gem purchase? Very well done! :appl: :appl:

This is indeed my first! I was (am) searching for the perfect reddish orange spinel or sapphire but when I saw this it just felt like mine. I learned a lot from Pricescope in how to "judge" gems online, trusted in the descriptions of a reputable supplier, and am not disappointed! Reserving final judgment until I can see the gem in daylight though. It sounds like it will be less purple?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gems always surprise us; there's no telling how it will look outdoors. I see a tilt window which is normal. It doesn't look to have any windowing issues. I second / third / fourth the idea of bringing it to a jewellery store to see what metal colour and design is best suited to your new spinel.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretzel|1382564697|3543182 said:
Reserving final judgment until I can see the gem in daylight though. It sounds like it will be less purple?

I hope what will actually happen in daylight is so much sparkle and dispersion that you will love the body color regardless! :cheeky:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretzel|1382562906|3543141 said:

Actually very pale green side stones might enhance the color.

How's the luster and clarity?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So this may sound crazy, but I feel like brown side diamonds would look lovely.

emmmme

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1382641592|3543863 said:
So this may sound crazy, but I feel like brown side diamonds would look lovely.

That's a bold combo! I think it would be difficult to get it just right, and you'd probably have to use yellow or rose gold.

I like Chrono's suggestion of pale green side stones. Pale blue would also work, if you like a monochromatic look.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results