shape
carat
color
clarity

Light Peach Spinel - thoughts??

Kings7911

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I just ordered my first colored stone and wanted to share. It's a peach colored spinel from GemFix. I'll be sure to post pics once it arrives! If I like it, I'm planning to halo it with rose gold.

Can't wait!!

spinel_6.jpg

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on your first CS purchase! It looks beautiful, looking forward to seeing hand shots!

Kings7911

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much!! I can't wait to see it in person, I've never seen spinel in real life.

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock
Welcome to Pricesope, and congratulations on your first CS purchase! :wavey:

You picked a beautiful spinel, love the color and it's a nice size, and with it being a calibrated size too it should be easy to set. Gemfix's handshots are usually the best representation of the stone, so I bet you'll love it. Sound like it's gonna be a sparkler! It'll look terrific in rose gold too. =)

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Kings7911|1421650560|3818758 said:
Hi everyone! I just ordered my first colored stone and wanted to share. It's a peach colored spinel from GemFix. I'll be sure to post pics once it arrives! If I like it, I'm planning to halo it with rose gold.

Can't wait!!

spinel_6.jpg
It will look fantastic in rose gold. Can't wait to see it.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was admiring all the spinels on that site today. Congrats on your purchase. I think it will be a lively and beautiful stone and am interested in how it looks against your skin stone. Post pics when you get it.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a garnet that colour, that I was playing with today, enjoying the sparkles. I plan to set it in rose gold as well. :)

Looking forward to your pics!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful spinel! Congrats with your first purchase.
I am looking forward to see your handshots.
I have a rubellite from Gemfix and the color in the photo's turned out to be quite accurate. Yours will be absolutely beautiful in rose gold.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats! I am also VERY interested to see your pics & observations on this. I was eyeing them myself and love the color! :love:

Kings7911

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone. So, my spinel arrived yesterday!! It is very sparkly and pretty, however not exactly what I was hoping for. It's quite a bit darker in person than in the vendor photos. Outside it natural light, it came close to the vendor photo, but it was very "shadowy" to me.

Here are some handshots and videos on photobucket:
http://s1123.photobucket.com/user/Leigh2102/story

Like I said, the stone is pretty but I think I'm going to return it and try and find something in a lighter color. I found this one on etsy, but it doesn't have any of the peach tones that I was craving. What do you all think of this cut? I'm still not great and identifying windows or bowties or things like that.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/159591634/light-pink-spinel-almost-3-carats-fine?ref=sr_gallery_2&ga_search_query=light+pink+spinel&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock
Well darn! That was my experience with my first colored gemstone too. So excited, and then opened the box and not so much. lol!

I think it's a good choice to send it back. That is darker than the vendor pic, and you're exactly right the shadowing/half and half extinction doesn't help the situation at all.

Do you think you would be happy with the Pristine gemstones spinel if it didn't have any peach like you were wanting? He seems to have several peachy pink spinels, you could contact him and see if maybe he has something with more peach in it.

Would you consider an already made ring? JuliaBJewelry has a peachy pink spinel in a halo with rose gold, and it's on sale right now, although it might be too dark too.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/198610...ef=shop_home_active_22&ga_search_query=spinel

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@King - that is a super bummer! The color in pics on the site is so gorgeous, I was on the edge of my seat to order one also, but definitely won't lose sleep on it now. It's pretty, but definitely darker than the vendor pic. :???:

On the other stone from Etsy, Rogerio (Pristine Gemstones) is super nice & will provide videos of stones for you if you ask. I bought a pretty sapphire from him last year, and he took the time - on a Sunday - to talk with me by phone about my needs, and actually suggested a lesser priced stone he had that was perfect.

Good luck with your search! :wavey:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, it's indeed darker compared to the vendor pic. I hope you will find your dreamstone with help of the experts here.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Darn it. The color in their picture was awesome. I hope you find a keeper soon.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep in mind that most vendors will post the most flattering picture(s) of the gemstone, which is more often than not, using strong diffused natural sunlight or use bulbs that mimic this. If the stone looks as pictured under the same conditions, then you can say the vendor's picture is accurate. What was unexpected to you, is that the spinel shifted, becoming darker indoors. This happens to almost all gemstones, particularly to spinels which tend to be one of the shiftiest CS. There are spinels with less dramatic shift or as we call it, "holds its colour" but these are less common and typically more expensive. It is best to ask the vendor about this colour shift under indoor lighting or conditions if this bothers you. I am sorry the spinel did not work out for you.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that became much darker, and it has a lot of brown. Like Chrono said, spinel can shift quite a bit. It can also go very dark inside, or even outside in bright light (depends on the stone).

Thanks for posting the video. It gives us all a better idea of how to read the pics of the other spinels left on the GemFix site with a similar color.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see a lot of extinction which I didn't see in the vendor photos. That's also something to be concerned about with ovals and other elongated cuts, since they tend to go extinct on one half of the stone while tilted. There were some brighter patches though.

I wonder if a round would be a better choice to avoid that.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
And THIS is why I don't order from Gemfix. Their pictures are so far off as to be laughable. :sick:

I know some PSers have had luck with his stones, and the cutting is awesome, but seriously . . .

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1422077928|3821277 said:
I see a lot of extinction which I didn't see in the vendor photos. That's also something to be concerned about with ovals and other elongated cuts, since they tend to go extinct on one half of the stone while tilted. There were some brighter patches though.

It bothers me when vendor's photos hide extinction; it's just setting up an informed customer to some degree of disappointment when they see the gem even if they still like it a lot.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
LoversKites|1422129045|3821475 said:
TL|1422077928|3821277 said:

It bothers me when vendor's photos hide extinction; it's just setting up an informed customer to some degree of disappointment when they see the gem even if they still like it a lot.

Me too, such a waste of time.

Kings7911, I'm sorry for your disappointment, good luck in your search for a gem that makes you happy just looking at it. =)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results