shape
carat
color
clarity

Light blue stone

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock
Hi folks! I received an heirloom stone that I think may be a swiss blue topaz or aquamarine. How can I test it to see if it is indeed a gemstone or just a simulant? It's huge - 3/4" by 1/2" - and my mom has reset it from loose into a pendant. I'd like to set it into a cocktail ring for special occasions.would appreciate your insight!

The stone:
image_1772.jpgimage_1773.jpg

Nice setting:
image_1774.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any gemmologist near you to check the refractive index? That will tell you whether it is most likely to be topaz or aquamarine.

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock
Chrono, I'm sending it to Gemart. If it is genuine I'll get it cut. Thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yorkgirl|1401280647|3681588 said:
Chrono, I'm sending it to Gemart. If it is genuine I'll get it cut. Thanks!

Awesome! :appl: Please keep us posted.

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock
Will do! Jerry said it would lose 1/3 of its face up size just to remove the window. Even if it was cut to tobe 50% of its carat weight it would still be 25-30 carats! I had no idea! Fingers crossed that it turns out to be genuine.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
With Jerry in the driver's seat, it will come out looking terrific -- dust for it to be a real whichever-you-prefer! :wavey:

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock
I find out sometime tomorrow when he receives. I'd love for it to be an aquamarine - I even like the lighter blue shade that it is - but a blue topaz would be neat as it's my husband's birthstone!

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
yorkgirl|1401662027|3684567 said:
I find out sometime tomorrow when he receives. I'd love for it to be an aquamarine - I even like the lighter blue shade that it is - but a blue topaz would be neat as it's my husband's birthstone!

Good luck - whatever it may be, it'll be beautiful after Jerry works his magic!

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock
Last week a local jeweler told me it's definitely a gemstone, probably an aquamarine, but he'd have to send it for an appraisal to be sure. So Jerry's refractometer will tell us for sure!

Ok for fun, if Jerry cuts it I will retain the emerald cut rectangular shape, eliminating the windowing of course. I'm torn between two settings. Either a double prong solitaire with side baguettes, or a very small halo with a pave shank. I'm going for old world cocktail glamour!

Also, what metal would you do for a light blue aqua. Yellow gold or white gold? Or maybe a 18k rose gold, not too pink for just a hint of rose? White gold looks cool and crisp but the warmth of yellow or rose would make it feel more old fashioned, I think?

image_1800.jpg

image_1801.jpg

image_1802.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would wait until Jerry is done with the recut because I do not know how the colour will be impacted. Depending on the exact colour, it could look better in white, yellow or rose gold. It also depends on which hue you want to play up.

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1401722069|3684930 said:
I would wait until Jerry is done with the recut because I do not know how the colour will be impacted. Depending on the exact colour, it could look better in white, yellow or rose gold. It also depends on which hue you want to play up.

Very true!!

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock
Blue topaz it is! Looking to do a rectangular cut with some sparkle. Will be 15-18 carats after recut. It's likely natural due to the pale blue color.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't wait to see the re-cut, and I too would go for the second ring, and in white metal (personal preference).

DK :))

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock
I'm going with the solitaire with baguettes as it will be most cost effective. It's also a classy look as the size will be huge on my 4.5 finger. A halo would be very large indeed!

Based on that what shape do you think I should do? The pink stone is a sparkly rectangular shape and would require more cutting, making the stone 10.5 mm in width and 12 mm in length, ratio of 1.2, for scintillation as he says. The blue stone is an emerald cut and would be 10.5-11 mm in width, and the length can be whatever I want, say 15 mm if I like a rectangular look. This would give it more of an aqua simulant look.

Which would look better for a blue topaz which I know has a higher RI than Aqua and thus is more sparkly?

image_1809.jpg

image_1810.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go for the busier cut so that it sparkles like the dickens, set it with side baguettes in rose gold. :lickout:

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock
I'm kind of loving Beyonce's thin pave split shank...looks outstanding with her rock. Do you think that setting would work with the busier cut or would it look best with the emerald cut?

Chrono I like the way you think!

image_1811.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am thinking that more sparkle never hurts and emerald cuts need stronger colouration to catch the eye. Do you want blingtastic or something subdued? This will answer your question as to which type of cut you will like. Did the original emerald cut wow you or did you feel that it was somehow lacking?

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock
Excellent point. It wowed me as I don't own any step cuts. But honestly since it's a special occasion cocktail ring I'd want it to look big and cocktails. The step cut will be physically bigger, but the faceted cut will be sparkler. Jerry pointed out that the step cut will simulate the look of an aqua, whereas the blingy look will look more like a blue topaz. I don't have any preference either way. The price is the same for both.

Hmmm...I like the sparkly cut an awful lot. What setting do you think it would look best in? I think I'm leaning that way so I'm owning the fact that it's a blue topaz and my hubby's birthstone! Sweet.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The size of the stone, how you set it and the sparkliness will make it look more like a cocktail ring. So I think a busy cut with a halo in rose gold!

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock
I'm going with the blingy rectangle with 73 facets. Setting tbd. Thanks!!

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
yorkgirl|1401813139|3685636 said:
I'm going with the blingy rectangle with 73 facets. Setting tbd. Thanks!!

Ahh I also would have voted for the more scintillating cut. It'll be wonderful.

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock
Just got pics from Jerry and I love the recut! He said the photos don't do the colour justice. I'll post more pics when it arrives, and thanks everyone for weighing in! Was 23 carats and went down to 9.88 carats to remove the big old window. New dimensions are 12.75 mm x 10 mm. I know everyone here loves saturated colour but I really like the pale blue of this stone.

Before:
image_1892.jpg
image_1893.jpgimage_1894.jpgimage_1895.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Wow, spectacular difference!! THAT is a blingy cocktail-ring stone. I love the 1st setting you put up, but for the way it looks now I vote #3, rose gold & sparkles. Whatever you do with it, it will be stunning.

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
Wow, I love the recut! That shade of blue reminds me of the early Spring and late Fall skies we get here. =)

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock
I'm waiting anxiously for my blue topaz to arrive, but wanted to update this thread as I chose a simpler setting. It will be in this Heart of Water design to let the stone shine on its own. Sally's a dear as you all know. I'll decide on rose gold or white gold when the stone arrives. It's perfectly simple and dainty and the topaz is so big that any shank design wouldn't be visible anyway.

image_1938.jpgimage_1940.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
That's a super choice, Yorkgirl! It's going to look just fabulous. I can't wait to see it -- first when you get it, then all fixed up in such a perfect setting for it. Yahooo!

--- Laurie

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results