shape
carat
color
clarity

Kunzite, pearls, diamonds, and a bow!

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I'm thrilled to show you my new necklace! I had Courtney Poole Pendergrast design and hand make this piece for me with some of my existing stones.

The kunzite is a 13.29ct modified scissor-cut cushion from AJS Gems. I purchased it a few years ago and it took me a while to decide how I wanted to have it set even though I knew I wanted it to be a necklace.

The 2 OEC diamonds (.16ct and .36ct) were in a ring that was my grandma's. A while ago, I had them set into a rose gold pendant, but it just didn't "work" - I felt the pendant didn't have any presence and I never wore it. So I added those two diamonds to this project.

The lavender freshadama pearl is from Pearl Paradise and is about 8mm. Aurum Studios had a matching strand of 4.5mm lavender pearls that matched precisely and these are in the two draping strands along with the tiny white seed pearls.

I asked Courtney to design me something very girly and sweet. Almost "precious" but not overly saccharine. I said I wanted something that was evocative of a ballet slipper with satin ribbons and bows. I'm not really a girly girl, but this kunzite was just asking to be set in a super girly piece I thought. The really cool thing is that this piece can look sweet or punk rock depending on how it is worn. With a blouse it's sweet, with a black leather vest, it's more punk.

Another cool thing about this piece is that it's a transformer. The dangling diamonds, kunzite, and pearl are detachable and can be worn on a diamond bail on a chain or strand of pearls for a different look.

I'll post some finished pictures and some process photos...

img_9607.jpg

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
We went through several designs before we found "the one"

Courtney had been working on a series of jellyfish and sea creature pendants that really appealed to me. I loved the long, dangling, tendrils. We had thought about making a bow that featured these long, swirling, curling "ribbons" in the white gold. But, after working with a silver mock up, Courtney realized that it would overwhelm the stone. A light pinkish-lavender stone is not really a good candidate to be "covered" with white gold "ribbons" so she modified the design to a more traditional-looking bow that would set off the kunzite, instead of overwhelming it.

You can see the progression of the design in these drawings from her sketchpad.

Also, here is the pendant I took apart so that the stones could be part of this project.

img_9608.jpg

img_9610.jpg

img_9611.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is gorgeous! :love: I would wear it as a pendant or have it adjustable into a brooch (for a scarf or jacket lapel).

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the removable "dangle" and the detachable diamond enhancer bail.

In this picture, the kunzite was resting in the basket, but had not yet been set, but it gives you a close up view of the bail. The top ring was modified to be slightly smaller, too. (process pics!)

I have many strands of pearls and this piece makes a wonderful pearl enhancer, or it can be worn on a plain white gold chain, or course.

img_9613.jpg

img_9615.jpg

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I am wearing it today with this pink ruffle blouse! I'll post again when I'm wearing it with my black leather vest for that "tough and tender" look.

_34820.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm happy to see more pictures of it. The bow really puts the finishing touch on it; it reminds me of the brooches the British Royalty wears.

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
You had me at "detachable". I love convertible pieces. So do I understand correctly that you could have a different dangle made to hand under the now if you wished?

Thanks for sharing the drawings. I love seeing the design process looking forward to more pics

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool, I love the fact you can wear it different ways!!!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Love love LOVE! On so many different levels do I adore this!

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
What metal(s) were used in the necklace? If that bow is gold, my goodness, how luxurious.

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I forgot to mention that the entire piece was done in 14kt white gold. But, since I'm sensitive to nickel, it's a palladium white gold. The bow is super white and shiny and I just love it!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Epitomizes pretty in pink! I totally love the combination and versatility. Fun, creative, beautiful and practical to wear...in short, the perfect piece imo!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very striking piece, thanks for sharing.

DK :))

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a stunning and unique piece! I love the beauty and versatility :love:

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Beautiful necklace. The design is so original and girly, love it! Thanks for sharing!

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! I can't wait to see it with your black leather vest. It's such a versatile piece.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Yay! I love convertible pieces AND repurposing stones so this is fantastic! :appl: It's beautiful! Well done! :clap:

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I had a few moments of "good" sun this afternoon for some leather vest and kunzite necklace shots!

img_9616.jpg

img_9617.jpg

img_9619.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results