shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeff White Asscher Mint Garnet Goodness!

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey Guys!

My Jeff White project took a bit of a turn from a sapphire to a mint garnet - I put down the deposit last night, so it's definitely a go, and I'm couldn't be more thrilled! The sapphire likely was not going to cut a finished stone that was quite as large as I was hoping for, so I decided to hold off and wait. Realizing that a large mint garnet with a bluish modifier likely would be an even harder find and take a very long time, I let Jeff know that I was interested in doing an asscher mint garnet project as well just in case, by chance, one turned up while we were waiting for "the sapphire" to come along.

As luck would have it, Jeff happened to have one large piece from a small pocket of exceptional mint garnet that was found in Tanzania! He acquired the parcel that contained this particular piece of rough several years ago shortly before the pocket was mined out. Jeff described it as a killer piece and one that he couldn't replace, even if he wanted to. So, with as difficult as it can be to find a nice mint garnet, let alone one in a large size, I feel very fortunate that he didn't happen to cut it over the years :)

The piece should cut an asscher of 3.5 to 5.6 carats and above 8mm in diameter. He thinks it has a very slight blue modifier and anticipates that the finished stone will turn out eye clean or very very close to it. I attached a pic of the piece that he sent, and it should lighten in color a bit after cutting. It is very very similar to the attached 4.31 carat asscher mint garnet and from the very same parcel. I think that finished stone is absolutely gorgeous. To be sure that I wasn't just swooning over the glamour shot, I found a hand shot of an asscher mint garnet that Jeff had cut and appears to have a very similar color, and I think it's beautiful too, so I am very excited!

I will be so happy to share pics of the finished piece, but in the interim, here are the pics of the piece of rough, the 4.31 mint garnet from the same parcel, and finally the hand shot of a mint garnet that I think looks pretty spot on.

jw_mint_garnet_rough.jpg

jw_-_4.jpg

jw_-_handshot_of_fine_mint_garnet.jpg

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hmmmm…oddly enough, the color in the pic of the garnet rough seems to have faded a bit with uploading - who would have guessed?

Looking at the photo as sent to me, the color looks much brighter and closer to the other two with an ever so slight hint of bluish. When I first saw the pic, the color really jumped out at me, and placing it side by side with the 4.31, it was as close a match as I could imagine on three different monitors :)

ephsea

Shiny_Rock
Wow you should be excited - that piece of rough is glowing in your hand! Can't wait to see pics of the finished stone, I love garnet.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the pics of the finished assher cut mint garnet. :love:

I have always admired Jeff's works, and have just paid the deposit myself for a custom oval cut tourmaline indicolite.

I have requested for a pic of the rough as well as a pic of the finished gem, so that I can post them on PS. Hopefully he will be able to help me.

Looking forward to see the finished mint garnet!!!

DK :))

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Stunning color & the already-cut asscher is tdf. Can't wait to see yours when it's done!

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ephsea|1397311238|3652322 said:
Wow you should be excited - that piece of rough is glowing in your hand! Can't wait to see pics of the finished stone, I love garnet.

Ohhhh, I so am! Glowing was exactly what came to mind when I saw the pic too! I was very tempted to have the rough shipped to me so I could actually see it in hand (the pic is one that Jeff took in his hand), but it makes me nervous to unnecessarily ship precious pieces such as this. I was totally game for moving forward the minute I saw the pic and learned that it was from the same parcel as that stunning 4.31 asscher mint :)

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
dk168|1397311749|3652325 said:
Love the pics of the finished assher cut mint garnet. :love:

I have always admired Jeff's works, and have just paid the deposit myself for a custom oval cut tourmaline indicolite.

I have requested for a pic of the rough as well as a pic of the finished gem, so that I can post them on PS. Hopefully he will be able to help me.

Looking forward to see the finished mint garnet!!!

DK, absolutely - I have no doubt he'll take a picture of your rough for you! Jeff is awesome about stuff like that - he really strikes me as someone that wants to make sure that folks are happy with his pieces and to give as much information as possible to make sure of it at the outset. I had referenced finished asscher mint as an example of what I was looking for when he and I were corresponding, so that's how it came up that my piece was from the same parcel. I can't wait to see pics of your piece of rough and a similar stone if one might be available before yours gets cut! I remember how antsy I was waiting for a pic of the rough, so the anticipation must have you on the edge of your seat - I know the anticipation before my piece is cut into a finished stone is gonna have me jumping out of my skin, but it will totally be worth the wait!

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1397312231|3652331 said:
Stunning color & the already-cut asscher is tdf. Can't wait to see yours when it's done!

Thanks JewelFreak! It will be my first Jeff White stone, first asscher, and first mint garnet all in one fell swoop, so I can't wait! I'm still just simply beside myself that he actually had something that would not only work but was spot on for what I was hoping for in terms of color, size, clarity, and still accommodate the cut. When I wrote, I really thought it would be a very, very long, as in upwards of a year, wait. Even though we didn't ultimately move forward on the sapphire, moving forward on this piece is a stroke of sheer luck and an awesome outcome!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Squeeeeeee!!!! Can't wait until it's done!!! I definitely would have gone for that over a sapphire, too. :appl: :appl: Having seen a JW asscher in person, and owning a step cut mint garnet myself, I'm sure you're going to love it!!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My ring project has only just started, therefore, it will be a while before the finished ring will be ready. Hopefully it will be ready in time for Oct 2014 to be gifted to my gentleman friend on his birthday. Shhhhh, it is a surprised present, and luckily, he does not read this board! :naughty:

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
NKOTB|1397313438|3652342 said:
Squeeeeeee!!!! Can't wait until it's done!!! I definitely would have gone for that over a sapphire, too. :appl: :appl: Having seen a JW asscher in person, and owning a step cut mint garnet myself, I'm sure you're going to love it!!

Neither can I! And, I love love love your step cut mint garnet - yours and that asscher mint from Jeff's finished pieces page are the pieces that really got me started in on researching mint garnets a while back and made me realize that I would love to have one of my own one day :) I will definitely update with pics whenever its finished!

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
dk168|1397313464|3652343 said:
My ring project has only just started, therefore, it will be a while before the finished ring will be ready. Hopefully it will be ready in time for Oct 2014 to be gifted to my gentleman friend on his birthday. Shhhhh, it is a surprised present, and luckily, he does not read this board! :naughty:

That is such a nice gift to give to your gentleman friend! I am sure that he won't stumble onto the board and that it will be a wonderful surprise for him - just make sure to share the pics with us!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
do you know know how you're going to set it? I just sent my step cut off to be set, and I'm trying to think of anything other than a copy of my SIL art deco ring.... Id love to see your inspiration.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So you have hit the Trifecta of what I love: JW cutting; JW asschers; and green grossular garnet.

I know it will be stunning - clear, bright and with his beautiful, exact meets.

Will be so excited to see the finished product. I know he takes a while though. When is it likely to be in your hands?

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Niel|1397324072|3652419 said:
do you know know how you're going to set it? I just sent my step cut off to be set, and I'm trying to think of anything other than a copy of my SIL art deco ring.... Id love to see your inspiration.

That sounds beautiful - I really liked that ring! I'm thinking a clean lines platinum setting with tapered baguettes, similar to Puppy4248's amazing asscher e-ring (pic attached), but I thinking single prongs. I really like that look because it's simple, elegant, and not so over the top that I couldn't wear it to both nice occasions or more casually :) That, and I think having two side diamonds to set off that minty green would be really lovely, but if you or others have ideas, I am certainly open to them!

sk_0.jpg

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1397325787|3652425 said:
So you have hit the Trifecta of what I love: JW cutting; JW asschers; and green grossular garnet.

I know it will be stunning - clear, bright and with his beautiful, exact meets.

Will be so excited to see the finished product. I know he takes a while though. When is it likely to be in your hands?

Minous, it is quite the Trifecta, so much so & with as beautifully as all of his pieces turn out, I'm still kindof pinching myself! I have no idea what the timing will be, but I have no problem being patient :)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
endless_summer|1397323455|3652410 said:

That is such a nice gift to give to your gentleman friend! I am sure that he won't stumble onto the board and that it will be a wonderful surprise for him - just make sure to share the pics with us!

Will do, I promise.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
endless_summer|1397328329|3652437 said:
I'm thinking a clean lines platinum setting with tapered baguettes, similar to Puppy4248's amazing asscher e-ring (pic attached), but I thinking single prongs. I really like that look because it's simple, elegant, and not so over the top that I couldn't wear it to both nice occasions or more casually :) That, and I think having two side diamonds to set off that minty green would be really lovely, but if you or others have ideas, I am certainly open to them!

Yes, this inspiration ring is perfect, endless! I so agree with side diamonds setting off the green.

D

Deactivated member 42515

I am sooooooo jealous right now! So jealous!!!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about having pale pink side stones to set off the mint green? :naughty:

I am thinking of the colour of some of the pale pink spinels as seen in Jeff's sold gemstone gallery.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That sounds beautiful - I really liked that ring! I'm thinking a clean lines platinum setting with tapered baguettes, similar to Puppy4248's amazing asscher e-ring (pic attached), but I thinking single prongs. I really like that look because it's simple, elegant, and not so over the top that I couldn't wear it to both nice occasions or more casually :) That, and I think having two side diamonds to set off that minty green would be really lovely, but if you or others have ideas, I am certainly open to them!

YESSSSSSSSS! The funny thing is, Freke's JW asscher spinel that is in her ring with the tapered baguettes is the stone beside that mint asscher sister stone of yours in that banner on Jeff's site. :) It's a great look!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NKOTB|1397334138|3652481 said:

YESSSSSSSSS! The funny thing is, Freke's JW asscher spinel that is in her ring with the tapered baguettes is the stone beside that mint asscher sister stone of yours in that banner on Jeff's site. :) It's a great look!

That's the kind of pink I am thinking of, as side stones to the mint green garnet.

I know I have seen that combination before, now I know where, on Jeff's site in the banner!!! DOH!!!

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
:love: :love: :appl: :appl: :love: :love:

I need someone to lift my jaw after seeing that stone. It's gorgeous!

I agree you need to set that baby with some white diamonds. It'll have the most incredible polish and lines knowing it's from JW. Congratulations.

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
dk168|1397331280|3652461 said:
endless_summer|1397323455|3652410 said:

Will do, I promise.

:appl: :appl: :appl:

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1397332194|3652467 said:
I'm thinking a clean lines platinum setting with tapered baguettes, similar to Puppy4248's amazing asscher e-ring (pic attached), but I thinking single prongs. I really like that look because it's simple, elegant, and not so over the top that I couldn't wear it to both nice occasions or more casually :) That, and I think having two side diamonds to set off that minty green would be really lovely, but if you or others have ideas, I am certainly open to them!

Yes, this inspiration ring is perfect, endless! I so agree with side diamonds setting off the green...

My vote is white diamonds with the green, all the way.

Done & done - my gut says that's the route to go, and I'm so glad to have your positive feedback!

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Absolutely - I really love her center stone and ring too - if I ever get to meet Freke, we'll definitely have to take a pic of the rings together as a complement to Jeff's banner! And, if not, don't worry - I have light pink spinel dreams too…gotta love the CS bug ;-)

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
dk168|1397334383|3652484 said:

That's the kind of pink I am thinking of, as side stones to the mint green garnet.

I know I have seen that combination before, now I know where, on Jeff's site in the banner!!! DOH!!!

I do like the combination a great deal, but I'm thinking it would be fun to achieve it through separate pieces, and until then, I'll just have a great excuse to wear my pink sundresses more often!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results