shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeff Davies.com vs Jeff Davies on Ebay?

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would anyone be able to advise me on this? Yesterday I won a spinel auction from Jeff Davies on Ebay (http://stores.ebay.com/Fine-Gemstones-and-Jewelry) which is on the recommended vendor list on this forum. I was all excited after winning the auction at what I thought was a reasonable price, and promptly sent the Paypal payment. However, I then noticed there's a separate Jeff Davies website (http://jefferydavies.com/) which seems to be the same vendor (exact same photos and videos, etc) but on there the exact same spinel is listed as having been sold 5 weeks ago (same photo, same code number, same everything!)....... :confused: :confused:

I've sent a message to Jeff to ask him for clarification and to refund my payment if it's not the same stone (maybe he sold it before but it was returned and he hasn't updated his site since then?), but I wanted to check if PSers normally use his Ebay site or order through his website? Has this happened to anyone before? While I don't want to rush to judgment or start freaking out before the vendor has replied, I have to say it is a little strange. :confused:

ETA: I noticed that many if not all of his stones are cross-posted on both the website and Ebay, and that the Buy It Now listing price is higher than the website price (but auction stones could be a better deal).

ETA 1: Jeff got back to me very quickly to say that it was never paid for by the first buyer so he re-listed it. Guess I should have waited a little longer before posting on PS :roll: :roll: but I was so anxious! ha.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pinterest and FB are the most updated ones. The website must be new. If you see something that is listed as for sale, and somewhere else it's listed as sold, odds are it was returned or, as you found out, someone didn't pay for it.

Unfortunately it's become really hard for vendors to get paid on ebay recently, so it's more and more common that things are "sold" but never shipped because they aren't paid for.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I believe you will get the actual stone in the pic. I can't comment about price. I know there are vendors who have slightly higher prices on Ebay to reflect the Ebay fees, if they sell through multiple venues. For example, Wilds Gems used to have different prices on Etsy and Ebay, if my memory serves me correctly.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1390978001|3603196 said:
I believe you will get the actual stone in the pic. I can't comment about price. I know there are vendors who have slightly higher prices on Ebay to reflect the Ebay fees, if they sell through multiple venues. For example, Wilds Gems used to have different prices on Etsy and Ebay, if my memory serves me correctly.

Thanks! I am looking forward to getting my spinel, pretty sure I will get the same stone as in the pic and video. :)

As for pricing, at least for Jeff Davies, I think I would contact him directly to get the lower website price if I want to buy a stone right away, but his Ebay auctions are also worth keeping an eye on. (I ended up getting the spinel for substantial discount off of the original website listing.)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also, I buy from Jeff via Facebook. There, you can actually chat with him on IMs.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Like Freke, I buy from Jeff through FB. He updates it frequently and it is easy to communicate with him.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
armywife13|1391010079|3603333 said:
Like Freke, I buy from Jeff through FB. He updates it frequently and it is easy to communicate with him.

Thanks so much to you all for your feedback :) I've started following Jeff on FB and might try contacting him there next time.

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
His website is pretty old. Last I checked, it hadn't been checked in a long long time but I also haven't checked it in a while.

But yes, his best prices are on paypal since he wouldn't need to pay ebay commission. Another thing to note is if there is something you really love on his auction, don't be afraid to reach out him about what price he'd be willing to take to close out the auction. As previously mentioned, he is very responsive on FB.

I've done some transactions where he could had easily taken advantage of me if he wanted to and he hasn't. He's a great person who has access to a high volume and variety of stones compared to other PS vendors.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results