shape
carat
color
clarity

Jade Bangle Rehab Possibilities?

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
Hi CS Jade experts!

I was wondering if I should try and have my bangle turned into a hinged one. I received it as a wedding gift over six years ago and have not been able to wear it since because of the hassle of getting it on and off (very tight fit to begin with) and just leaving it on forever is not an option. The panty hose trick doesn't work for me currently. Somehow I managed to get it on and off when I first received it, but my current palm spread to wrist ratio no longer allows me to be able to make it pass my fingers but my wrist is still small. I am unfortunately not a great contortionist either. :wall: Thoughts anyone? If yes, then how much would this conversion cost (ballpark range is fine) and who should I seek out?

img_20150827_163627.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Was the bangle expensive? Usually people only convert a jade bangle if it was already broken.

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
I doubt that it is highly valuable based on what I have read, but definitely very sentimental wedding gift from my aunt who hoped that I would get some wear out of it. Just trying to figure out if this a viable option or not. I may just give it to my niece to wear when she gets older.

Thanks for your input lovinggems! :)

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the value is sentimental, I would personally go ahead and have it hinged so it will get worn as your aunt wished. Others may disagree since it will reduce the value but you said it wasn't expensive. I don't own a jade bangle because I hate the effort to get them on/off so I know it wouldn't get worn (although I have played with the idea of buying a hinged one).

I don't know the cost but might look for a local Asian jeweler who has worked with jade. Depending on location, sometimes their costs can be less expensive than your typical retail jeweler.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your aunt would want you to wear it and enjoy it so I vote that you have hinged. :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovinggems|1440832922|3920674 said:
Was the bangle expensive? Usually people only convert a jade bangle if it was already broken.
Ditto; I stopped wearing those that are too small for me.

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks lilmosun, LisaRN, and Chrono for your opinions. I guess I will go ahead and call my aunt to get a better idea of how to proceed and her thoughts too. I just wanted to hear from non family members on this matter as well.

Chrono, may I ask if you kept the ones that don't fit any more or did you trade them in for another wearable size and paid the difference?

TheCollector

Rough_Rock
Hinged is so much better. I had one like that many years ago. The way I took it on/off was by slipping it with soap. Needless to say, it shattered after several months. +1 for hinge.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results