carat
color
clarity

It Finally Happened

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all:

My transaction is completed, and as promised, LD, I am back to share the vendor with others. Ironically, my very first post was to compliment TL for her demeanor in response to the flames of another poster regarding the very vendor: Gem-Earth.

Maureen is the owner of the company. She is communicative and answers questions quickly. Her business is small and she doesn't seem to offer as many stones as some of the others. Her photos, if not enhanced, have some weird contrast balance setting (can you tell I'm not a photographer :bigsmile: ), so I largely go by her descriptions and answers to my questions. Most importantly, she honors her commitments:

"Please accept my sincere apologies for this problem. I will send a request to cancel the transaction through ebay.
Many thanks,
Maureen"

Me: a little wiser, a little poorer and still searching for my padparadscha...

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Glad you got most of your funds back MB, hope you'll find something you like even more in the near future. :appl:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1295718714|2829718 said:
"Please accept my sincere apologies for this problem. I will send a request to cancel the transaction through ebay.
Many thanks,
Maureen"

Me: a little wiser, a little poorer and still searching for my padparadscha...

If she cancels the transaction through ebay, you cannot leave any feedback. It is rather sneaky of vendors to do that, although I understand why they do that. Again, the buyer is in the dark, and that fake padparadscha will be sold for an unfair price to someone else that doesn't understand treatment on such stones. :nono: I'm grateful for this board so that at least some of us end up the wiser in these transactions.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tourmaline_lover|1295721479|2829761 said:
If she cancels the transaction through ebay, you cannot leave any feedback. It is rather sneaky of vendors to do that, although I understand why they do that. Again, the buyer is in the dark, and that fake padparadscha will be sold for an unfair price to someone else that doesn't understand treatment on such stones. :nono: I'm grateful for this board so that at least some of us end up the wiser in these transactions.

I am right there with you, TL, and have to say that in general I verify and then trust. I could rush and leave feedback as its still there, but she has been completely upfront and honest with me. The true test will be whether the stone shows back up, or whether she will go after her stone broker as she indicated...at this point, given that the other stones came back as stated and I really like them, and she has been absolutely straight with me, she has earned the benefit of the doubt from me.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Minou, glad it worked out ok & that she was up front with you. As you say, time will tell about the rest. But never doubt, there's a pad out there with your name on it!

--- Laurie

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1295722970|2829797 said:
tourmaline_lover|1295721479|2829761 said:

I am right there with you, TL, and have to say that in general I verify and then trust. I could rush and leave feedback as its still there, but she has been completely upfront and honest with me. The true test will be whether the stone shows back up, or whether she will go after her stone broker as she indicated...at this point, given that the other stones came back as stated and I really like them, and she has been absolutely straight with me, she has earned the benefit of the doubt from me.

I know other people that buy from Maureen too, and find her reputable. On ebay, there are certain stones I stay away from, no matter how trustworthy I think the vendor is. Corundum is one of them, unless they come with a reputable, verifiable, memo or report that indicates they are unheated/untreated.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know, I know, you'd think I'd've learned from you by now TL, but if gems are my addiction, then corundum is my crack... ;-)

I have contacted most of the usual suspect cutters and they may come up with something for me (unfortunately no pads yet), but I get such a thrill from prowling on ebay and finding a prospect. My ebay list consists of: 1) those who have representative pix; 2) those who would cert upon request; 3) those who are responsive and clear communicators; 4) those whose stones are as good irl as they are represented to be; and 5) those who have a return policy that works for me. I would not hesitate to use Gem-earth for tanzanite, chrysoberyl, garnet, spinel. But for corundum, my ebay list sadly has been winnowed down to one. And you know who that would be... :naughty:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1295733164|2829977 said:
But for corundum, my ebay list sadly has been winnowed down to one. And you know who that would be... :naughty:

Well, even for that seller (if I think it's who you are thinking of), I would require a verifiable lab report for corundum, and it would have to be unheated. I don't trust anyone 100% because even the most trustworthy sellers can be duped, and many admit to that fact. It is also worthwhile to note that some treatments on some gems species are not even detectable by labs, so I have them on my "list to avoid" as well, even from "you know who."

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, unheated all the way.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry it was a disappointment, but at least the vendor is being so gracious about it.

I was bitten by the padparadscha bug once too, I bought a small 5mm round pad from the Natural Sapphire Company, unheated, which I love love love. I haven't gotten it tested officially since it's so small, although once while I was home visiting China, I was getting some jadeite evaluated and appraised, and the tester informally took my padparadscha too since it was a slow day and because she had never really seen a padparadscha before in person (faceted stones aren't huge in China). And she said it was corundum, no evidence of heat treatment. So that's nice for what little it's worth, lol. She said she could give me a formal cert but that it would cost me, but I declined since it wasn't a well known lab so it wouldn't really help if I ever decided to sell it.

Do you have photos of your other padparadscha on PS somewhere? I'd love to see it!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, I possess no photog abilities and at this point, reading the threads about cameras and equipment and lighting, I am thoroughly, 100% intimidated and relegated myself to being one of those supporters who don't post pix. Someday I'll get on it. My next door neighbor and friend is a very good photographer and I asked him to help me. So with luck, maybe some day.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, it's ok. In fact, if you're a little camera shy, I certainly wouldn't recommend you start with trying to photograph a padparadscha. It's enough to drive you crazy! It never looks right compared to what you see IRL. Same goes for almost anything green, lol.

sparkle-magpie

Rough_Rock
So happy the response from the vendor was so positive. It is nice to know they are weeding out that source from their list of providers, isn't it? You'll find your pad, it'll take time, and some digging, but you'll get there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results