shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this Ruby Ring valuable enough for appraisal or not?

Classic

Rough_Rock
I only know about this ring, as I have been told, that it is a vintage 2.5 carat (9x7mm) genuine ruby set in 14k gold. The gold is marked 14k and the oval 9x7mm dimensions appear accurate.

I am looking for opinions on whether or not it is worth getting the ring appraised. I am confused because in my own research I have found conflicting information on nearly every question I have.

The ruby is cloudy. I would probably describe it as "translucent" from my research because light does pass through in most of it, but it isn't clear enough to see objects through it.

I have read that cloudiness due to "silk" which I can see in the ring is actually a good thing because it shows that it probably hasn't been heat treated. But, I have also read that cloudiness will basically render a ruby worthless.

It has an inclusion that looks much like a long crack. I can barely see it with my naked eye, but I can see it really well with a loupe.

I have read the same about inclusions that on one hand, it proves it is genuine but on another hand it significantly decreases it's value.

I cannot determine if the color of the ruby is "pigeons blood". I have read this is the most valuable color.

Sometimes I see pigeon blood described as deep red, almost darker like a garnet, then other times I see pigeon blood described as an almost fluorescent reddish pink like this one seems to be.

I have read that color is the biggest factor that if it is pigeon blood it doesn't matter the clarity. Then I have read that good clarity trumps color and if it isn't a transparent stone then it will be valueless despite the pigeon blood color.

See why I am confused? :confused:

I am hoping to get some professional advice/guidance/input on whether this stone may have any significant value. Enough to warrant getting a full appraisal done.

Thanks!

wp_20140613_058__2_.jpg

wp_20140614_041.jpg

wp_20140613_061.jpg

wp_20140614_037.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would guess that your ring is not valued highly enough to justify an appraisal. It looks to be almost completely opaque, and from the side view, it looks very very flat.

Pigeons blood doesn't mean anything, it's just a name someone made up, and it stuck. That's why you can't find one color for it, it's because it's not a real technical term.

A 9x7 oval diamond would roughly weigh 2.5cts. Because of the absolute lack of any depth in your stone, I'd guess it weighs far less than that.

The setting does not look super expensive either - it looks like the shank is a bit hollowed out.

Now, having said all of the above, I know very little about rubies, so perhaps someone with more experience will chime in.

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
Provided that a ruby's value is highly dependent on confirmation of treatment, it's really hard to say how much it's really worth without certification. I wouldn't say silkiness is or isn't indication of treatment right off the bat. BE treated rubies are very prevalent in the market which are worth a few bucks per ct whereas genuine rubies (even slightly heated) can be worth thousands per carat. Inclusions or cracks can happen in all types of rubies or gemstones regardless of treatment. It's the nature of the inclusions that can hint one direction or another. These inclusion patterns usually needs an experts eye to judge, which is why we generally send stones of high value to AGL, GIA, etc.

Color is really based on people's eyes. There's a gradient of color and the closer to trade ideal the higher the value. However treatment would be the primary indication of value over color.

Classic

Rough_Rock
Thanks. When you say the value of a ruby is highly dependant on treatment...if this one were in fact genuine and untreated, would you expect it's value to be high because it was untreated even though it is so cloudy? I know it's all speculation...just wondering your opinion.

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
Trade ideal tends to be closer to clear inclusion free rubies.

A ruby this silky will be penalized in value regardless of treatment.

From the pictures, I would say that this color isn't close to "pigeons blood". It has a lot of pink modifier and isn't fire engine red. That would also detract from the value.

Are you planning on selling this ring soon?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Classic|1402809811|3693511 said:
Thanks. When you say the value of a ruby is highly dependant on treatment...if this one were in fact genuine and untreated, would you expect it's value to be high because it was untreated even though it is so cloudy? I know it's all speculation...just wondering your opinion.
There are several factors that go into determining the value of a colored gemstone.

Color: Please see the GIA link below. Color is king.
Cut: This has much wider parameters for gemstones than it does for diamonds. Things such as windows, bowties and extinction are considered detractors.
Clarity: Rubies are type II gemstones, so some inclusions are accepted and expected, but I'd bet this stone would be in the SI2-I2 grade within the type II rating based on pictures: http://www.gemfix.com/GIA_clarity_system.html
Treatment: highly treated stones, such as BE treated are very inexpensive, as they are essentially dyed. Untreated stones make up about 1-2% of the market, so untreated are typically the most expensive stones.
Carat: the more a gem weighs, the more the price goes up.

http://www.gia.edu/ruby-quality-factor

Classic

Rough_Rock
Great. Thanks for all the info. No, I don't think I plan on selling it soon. I just got curious on whether or not it has much value. Here are some more pics from the side. It isn't quite as flat as it looked in the first. But still it sounding like the cloudiness probably would be it's biggest issue.

I hadn't bothered much with worrying about the value because I had already assumed that being not clear would mean it wasn't worth much. But, then I got to reading and found all this info out there talking about silk being good in rubies and cloudiness not being a value reducer in rubies, etc and it got me wondering. However, it sounds like that is probably not the case afterall.

wp_20140613_063.jpg

wp_20140614_018.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It looks like a ring that should be worn & enjoyed without going to the expense of a lab report or appraisal. The opinions above are good. Whether or not it has been treated, it is cloudy enough to affect value and it's more to the pink side than real red, which is what a valuable ruby will be.

From what I can see in the photos, and it's cloudy enough that the facets are hard to discern, it isn't a superior cutting job. It is flat on top -- the crown could be higher, in other words. Here's a diagram of a commercial oval cut -- there are a zillion variations of this, but all would have a higher crown relative to the pavilion's depth, and I can't get a good bead on that through the basket, but it looks shallow too.

I like the setting; it's simple & sleek & a nice buttery gold. So enjoy having it, and if you ever wanted to replace it, you have a nice mounting there.

features-oval.png

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Do get that prong looked at if you intend to wear this ring.

Classic

Rough_Rock
Thank you all. This really helped! I am new to this site but find it very valuable!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone and setting look very much like a jewellery shopping TV channel ring. They're often re-sold on.

I'm afraid that the appraisal is probably not worth doing due to the cost because it may outstrip the cost of the ring :(sad However, if you want to find out exactly what it is i.e. dyed, filled etc., then a lab report would do that.

In this instance I would say to wear it and enjoy it (after getting the prong fixed ;)) )

Tariq wali

Rough_Rock
hi ,classic
these pictures are comparing quote for colour.

wp_20140614_0.jpg

dscf5669.jpg

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
The pictures are hard to judge with the exception that it is cloudy, try to have incandescent light or natural sunlight shining through the stone for a better view as compared to the TW ruby that is given natural sunlight. As others mentioned this ruby looks opaque, interestingly normally opaque material would be cut cabochon instead of faceted to bring out the stars if any, and enhance the beauty of the stone itself.

Looking at your picture, the color of your ruby is more pinkish than the ideal red (I love pinkish ruby more than PB ruby). I agree with experts here, appraisal would probably not necessary since the size and the first appearance (color and clarity) does not scream for it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results