shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this ring an OK purchase?

ratbuddy

Rough_Rock
I've tried to do my homework, but prices seem to vary so wildly they seem almost arbitrary to me. I'm ready to buy this ring: http://www.bluenile.com/sapphire-diamond-ring_6887?elem=title&track=product and I just want to put it out there for the PS community to see.

The other option that looked nice to me was http://www.bluenile.com/sapphire-diamond-ring-18k-white-gold_43509?elem=title&track=product but in all honesty, it seems a bit too busy, and the sapphire doesn't seem any better. I'm fine with spending this much, but the ring doesn't look as nice to me as the first one.

I've got a $4k Blue Nile card, and the no interest if paid within 12 months seems like a good deal to me. Just not sure if the ring is worth the price. I need to buy a ring soon, and I'd greatly appreciate any advice regarding this purchase. Thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My concern with buying something like this is that I don't know whether the stone or ring in the picture is the actual item I will receive or whether it is a stock picture (stones will not be the exact one as shown). Secondly, it says heat treated but nothing about diffusion (which is also heat treated but taken to an extreme where it is heated almost to melting point of the sapphire in order allow other minerals to be infused to enhance the colouration).

Given the quantities BN is selling, I would assume this is a stock picture, hence commenting on the picture will not be useful. I prefer to purchase stones where I can see its actual picture.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
If I were looking for a quality sapphire I would not look at BN, especially not online where as Chrono said you don't see exactly what you're buying. The sapphires are more than likely diffused. If I had a 4k BN card I'd get a nice diamond piece. Round brilliants are relatively easy to buy based on numbers on a GIA report. Rockytalk could help you find something.

Orrr you could go for a coloured stone that has no treatments. I don't think peridot does, for example, but you'd probably be overpaying for that as well relative to the stone quality.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good point, LK. I would use the BN gift card to buy a round diamond safely (you can buy well cut rounds through BN if you run it through the HCA calculator). If you are still interested in blue sapphires, just let us know your budget and specification so that we can start cracking. If you need a finished piece ASAP (within the week), try Diamonds by Lauren.

ratbuddy

Rough_Rock
I really appreciate the input. I should have specified my requirements up front:

I want a sapphire-center three stone ring in white gold or platinum. I'm looking to spend under 5k, give or take. I'd like to have ring in hand by the end of next week for a proposal on the 22nd or 23rd.

Thanks again!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Contact David NOW to see if he can whip a 3 stone together quickly for you. The process of buying the right coloured stone usually takes weeks to months and you want yours in a week which means a lot of sacrifices have to be made (less picky about the quality of the sapphire and overall ring).

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I think you underestimated how long it can take to create or buy a ring. I would buy from somewhere with a good return policy so that if she doesn't like it, or would prefer to have something custom made, that will be a possibility. Perhaps she has something specific she wants.

ratbuddy

Rough_Rock
Blue Nile does have a 30 day no questions asked return policy. I'd also like to stay with similar styles to the ones linked in the OP.

From what I can gather so far, the consensus is to hold off on the purchase? If that's my best course of action, I can give it a month or two. Really, I'm looking for a 'good enough' ring for now, and in 5 or 10 years, we can take our time and have something special custom designed and made for her. We've been together 11+ years, so I think at this point, she'd be happy with the ring from a box of Cracker Jack, I just don't want to get taken for a ride :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The quality of the BN blue sapphires look lacking to me and I would only do so as an absolute last resort, especially for such an important ring. Let's try our best to get it right the first time. If you are that pressed for time and budget, why not get a simple blue sapphire ring for now, then after 5 years, have it reset in a 3 stone setting? This way, you do not lose the value of the stone at all and get to build up upon the original gift.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
ratbuddy|1415981415|3783455 said:
Blue Nile does have a 30 day no questions asked return policy. I'd also like to stay with similar styles to the ones linked in the OP.

From what I can gather so far, the consensus is to hold off on the purchase? If that's my best course of action, I can give it a month or two. Really, I'm looking for a 'good enough' ring for now, and in 5 or 10 years, we can take our time and have something special custom designed and made for her. We've been together 11+ years, so I think at this point, she'd be happy with the ring from a box of Cracker Jack, I just don't want to get taken for a ride :)

Hmm, I understand. It depends on her personality. If you think she'd expect a ring, then get a ring. It's probably safer to do so. I'd rather spend say, 1k on a ring now and keep the other 4k for other expenses, or for the future ring, as it's not a priority.

But hey, you have a 4k BN card right? So if you choose to get a ring you may as well use that. Still, does it have to be sapphire? I guess you are able to ask them for a simple-heat only or untreated sapphire (with a report from a reputable lab) and see what they say. Just don't expect a high quality sapphire.

In those 5-10 years you had better ask us for help again :Up_to_something:

Do let us know what you decide. :wavey:

Chrono said:
The quality of the BN blue sapphires look lacking to me and I would only do so as an absolute last resort, especially for such an important ring. Let's try our best to get it right the first time. If you are that pressed for time and budget, why not get a simple blue sapphire ring for now, then after 5 years, have it reset in a 3 stone setting? This way, you do not lose the value of the stone at all and get to build up upon the original gift.

Totally agree, and a good idea if we can find a quality sapphire solitaire around.

ratbuddy

Rough_Rock

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
ratbuddy|1415988336|3783549 said:
You folks got me thinking.. What about something like this? http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/review?diamondSku=LD05097586&offerId=20327&ringSize=7.5&track=Detlink1

Bearing in mind that I would like to keep any Blue Nile purchase to under 4k, and that the linked setting is something I think she would really like, any glaring reasons not to select that stone?

Thanks again!

edit: Sorry, this stone: http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/diamond-details/LD05097586

So you're planning on buying an RB diamond?

DO NOT buy that one. It's really horribly cut. 65.9% depth :knockout: Research a bit about fluorescence before considering a diamond with strong fluorescence. Go make a thread on RockyTalk, state your budget and they'll recommend a well cut diamond. (they'll undoubtedly teach you more about diamonds than you thought there was to be taught). This is the coloured stones board; Rockytalk is the diamond one.

BTW what do you plan to do with the diamond once you decide to upgrade her ring?

I'll look out for your thread there :wavey:
Good luck.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, the RT folks will help you find a gorgeous RB. The last one you linked is also NOT well cut but I'll leave it to RT now.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results