shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this feasible? (Blue sapphire question)

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Goodoh then on "handturkeys" - whatever they are :???: :D

Starzin- I know it looks like my search is "all over the place," and it definitely feels that way. It is tough for me too, because she likes such a wide range of colors and stones, but then has such specific requirements such as the shape and size of the stone.

Don't worry, I can appreciate the dilemma because I have trouble just settling on a gem type! let alone colour and cut ;)) However I think you will find getting the two in hand will definitely help things along...we'll be waiting for 'proper' pics and feedback on the real deal :))

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
TL said:
If someone could come back with a 100 carat honker for me from Tuscon, that would be much appreciated. :naughty:

:lol: :lol: Got your pennies ready?

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
:D There you go then...who would've thought - thanks ddgdl I'm pleased it helped you confirm your GF's ring size!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
[quote="TL|1328049843|3115887......... BTW, I never had that problem with gemstones being too large. 8-)[/quote]

this is the best quote of the month! it is amazing how small the stones really are IRL and when they are set. personally, i like a large stone and the coverage it provides on my finger.

it will be good for you both to see stones in hand.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
ddgdl|1328057360|3115985 said:
........Starzin- I know it looks like my search is "all over the place," and it definitely feels that way. It is tough for me too, because she likes such a wide range of colors and stones, but then has such specific requirements such as the shape and size of the stone........l.

this may change once she sees actual stones......

there is also a thing called "fear of commitment" which happens to some of when trying to make these decisions.....pray she does not fall prey to this. for me it happened with the setting.....took me something like 8 months to commit to it and even then i was wondering if i'd done the right thing.

ddgdl

Rough_Rock
She may get a fear of commitment, but I'm the one on the deadline, so I don't think that will be a problem...at least for me. It looks like because of Tucson, all the gem dealers are MIA until the show is over, so now the long process of waiting until late next week before I can start looking at some of these stones in person begins! :read:

PrincessCath

Shiny_Rock
Just discovered this thread. Wealth of very helpful info, esp on the heating.
These guys seem to have a lot of unheated stones (and atrocious cuts too.)
http://www.starruby.in/store/
I don't remember them listed here. Are they any good?

ddgdl

Rough_Rock
ddgdl|1328027961|3115594 said:
Sapphire "Portuguese" Mixed Cut Cushion
Weight: 2.24 cts
Measurements: 7.7x6.2 mm
Clarity: VVS
Origin: Sri Lanka
Enhancements: None
Price: $ 2950.00
Order/Stock No.: sapphire_blue_956
Description: Gorgeous intense blue Ceylon Sapphire. Sparkly and clean. AGL certified untreated. (American Cutting)

Gemfix sent me a scan of the AGL report awhile ago, but I never got around to getting the collective wisdom of PS about it. I've attached it (its a pdf). It still looks like there might be a dark band of some sort across the middle- does anyone else see that?

sapphire_blue_956.jpg

Attachments

• AGL Sapphire Brief.PDF
    244.3 KB · Views: 79

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
no. to me it actually looks a little lighter in the middle, vertically. From this angle of view and light positioning there is a group of pavilion facets roughly in a vertical row that arent reflecting to the viewer and so look black.

ddgdl

Rough_Rock
VapidLapid|1330532196|3137331 said:
no. to me it actually looks a little lighter in the middle, vertically. From this angle of view and light positioning there is a group of pavilion facets roughly in a vertical row that arent reflecting to the viewer and so look black.

That must be what I was seeing then.

ddgdl

Rough_Rock
TL|1327981547|3115336 said:
Out of the bunch, I like the fifth one the best. I think with the 20% off, they are still fair retail prices. Nothing is a spectacular deal, but it's hard to find good deals on fine unheated sapphires these days due to the high demand.

Sadly, the fifth one (http://www.africagems.com/sapph-blue-g2k-3747.html) sold in Tucson before I could get my hands on it :(

chrys31

Rough_Rock
does anyone know why the Africa Gems stone in the post above me is so much more expensive than the Gemfix stone he scanned in the report for? I really cannot figure out sapphires to save my life.

ddgdl

Rough_Rock
chrys31|1330534646|3137369 said:
does anyone know why the Africa Gems stone in the post above me is so much more expensive than the Gemfix stone he scanned in the report for? I really cannot figure out sapphires to save my life.

I think the color in the africa gems stone is much more even than the gemfix one. The lighter band in the middle of the gemfix one, while unique, probably substantially hurts its pricing for people looking for an even, saturated tone. The alternative explanation is that there is no good way of determining a market price these days, so there are large variations in price from vendor to vendor. Just my guess- I'll defer to the experts on this one (as I do with pretty much all of these questions :lol: )

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chrys31|1330534646|3137369 said:

There could be a million reasons why including

Color
shape
middlemen
zoning
clarity
cutting or recutting (recut stones are often more expensive due to additional weight loss)

and add to that there is no restriction on what a seller can charge for a colored gemstone, then you have to sort through a lot of research to figure out which is the best buy.

It's hard to comment on two separate vendor photos since they are not taken in the same lighting environment, same camera, and who knows what or how much photoshop is used.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
good stones at the right price don't linger long.....and those that hesitate to think upon it often find the stone sold by the time it is decided to get the stone. the good news is that you really are learning more and all that new knowledge will help you in the end. do not give up!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results