shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this Blue Sapphire Cut Shallow? Is it Well-Cut?

goldstein

Rough_Rock
Don't have a camera right now & am currently traveling, so I can't take pictures of the stone...

But it's a blue sapphire.

Weight: 3.069 carats
Dimensions: 9.47 x 6.53 x 5.35mm
Shape: Antique rectangular cushion, mixed cut

I'm not too knowledgeable on gemstones even though my relatives are in the trade. (Orthodox Jew).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am afraid there's no way to tell without a picture; I've seen some very deep stones that showed a window because the angles it was cut to were not complementary to each other. Because the stone is quite elongated, I would look out for bowties and half/half shadowing.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Obviously a photo would help us tell you about it's cut but here are some things you can look for yourself.

The most common cut issues are windows & extinction.

If there is an area, usually at the centre, that you can see through (or could read text through) then it has a window because of shallowness or depth (resulting in less sparkle because of less light reflected back as you and reduces saturation). If there is a large black area that comes and goes (say, in an oval, half the gem goes black at certain angles) this is half-half extinction. If there is a bow tie shaped black area across the centre of the stone that is also extinction but this is very common in some cuts.

Symmetry and general evenness is good. Sparkle is good. Minimal black areas is good. Accurate meetpoints are good (here is a link that explains meetpoints: http://www.osirisgems.com/precision_cutting). We can't tell much from measurements unless they're very extreme; those are not. For example, a rounf sapphire that measures, say, 6x6x2 or 6x 6x8 is not well cut.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results