shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this amethyst?

Tr3vWh0r3

Rough_Rock
I have a ring that belonged to my grandfather and I thought it was amethyst for the longest time. It was very purple. I then saw it under different lighting and it looks like a green/indigo blue.

Anyone know what kind of stone it is?

This shows what is a good idea of the colour change.

1_203.jpg

2_129.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If that's natural Alexandrite you are a zillionaire!

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Lol, what Kenny said.

Its most probably a synthetic Alex if it has such perfect colour and colour change along with that clarity.

Correct me if I'm jumping to conclusions.

Tr3vWh0r3

Rough_Rock
My grandparents had a jewelry store and I couldn't see my grandfather wearing a synthetic stone. Who knows. You are right about the zillionaire thing. No chance it could be a big, natural Alexandrite..

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The colour change is very reminescent of synthetic colour change corundum.

Synthetics were not always looked down upon. They were considered avant guarde and you can find very good quality pieces with synthetics. Do you have an approximate date for the ring?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm with Kenny and LK. Any local gemmologist who can do a simple RI test to see if it is a quartz or alexandrite? That would be the first step to eliminating one of your biggest questions. From there, if it is alexandrite, then I would have a lab verify whether it is a natural or synthetic. To follow up on Lady D's comment, a synthetic alexandrite of that size isn't necessarily inexpensive.
http://www.atggems.com/Syn_Alex.htm

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hopefully, the ring is too old for the stone to be synthetic, good luck, as you may have a big natural and unheated, and very desirable Alexandrite!

DK :))

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I think what Lady D said is true about synthetics not necessarily being looked down upon.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It's a nice ring, whatever the stone is. Has Alex always been uber-expensive? Would it have been in his grandfather's day? Wholesale, as he would have bought it? The other points are good, that it could be synthetic -- please let us know what you find out. If it's real you can put your kids through a half hour of college or buy yourself a yacht. :naughty:

--- Laurie

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Highly likely to by synthetic corundum. A lot of people confuse it for amethyst too, but amethyst doesn't color change to green.

If it's very clean, no inclusions, and that size, I can't imagine what else it could be. Synthetic corundum and spinel were very popular back in the day. Synthetic spinel was often used as an aqua substitute, and synthetic corundum was used as an alexandrite substitute.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
dk168|1391777054|3609929 said:
Hopefully, the ring is too old for the stone to be synthetic, good luck, as you may have a big natural and unheated, and very desirable Alexandrite!

DK :))

Synthetic corundum is from the very early 20th century (Verneuil introduced his process around 1902 or 1903) so that is not very likely. We tend to think of synthetics as modern but they really aren't.

Tr3vWh0r3

Rough_Rock
I want to thank you all for replying to my post. I agree that no matter what the stone is, I am lucky to have this ring in my possession. This is by far the most friendly forum I have ever come across. I will have the stone looked at by someone who can determine what it is and I will report back!

Yes, my name is a little interesting.. It started as a joke 16 years ago and it follows me around still.

It's by name, not reputation.

Tr3vWh0r3

Rough_Rock
Here is an update on the stone. It is a synthetic color change sapphire. 11.95 x 9.96 x 5.80 mm.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tr3vWh0r3|1393734979|3625661 said:
Here is an update on the stone. It is a synthetic color change sapphire. 11.95 x 9.96 x 5.80 mm.

Thank you very much for returning to update us. Many people who ask for identification assistance don't bother to return when they find out what its, leaving us all hanging... :(sad So that makes it all the nicer that you were gracious enough to come back and share your findings. It is a lovely (and sizable) ring. I hope you are enjoying it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the update.

You have a very cool ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results