shape
carat
color
clarity

is this a good alexandrite?

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
This is not a tiny stone, 1,45 ct!

If you are interested - ask for more pictures.

yansur

Rough_Rock
Marlow|1414643153|3774832 said:

it's only 1.45ct cabochon, don't you think it's tiny? I will asked for more pic, but what do you think about the color under incandescent light?

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
yansur|1414643872|3774835 said:

it's only 1.45ct cabochon, don't you think it's tiny? I will asked for more pic, but what do you think about the color under incandescent light?

Nah, when I think tiny I think melee sizes. The incandescent colour is described as brownish purple which isn't the best. I like the daylight colour. The eye is sharp and it has good transparency throughout for a cabochon.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock

What do you think about the incandescent color? There must be a reason why you post it here - maybe you like it very much or.... :)

Do you have experience with gems and alexandrite?

And yes - tiny is melee ( 0,07 - 0,14 ct) and smaller - in some gems 0,50 is a giant!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Not at all - it is 6.2mm. As Brad mentions in the description, most stones are much smaller. A 6mm will hold its own as a center stone in a ring or a pendant with no problem. If you want more finger coverage, a setting with either a halo, side stones or interesting metalwork will solve that.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How bad the colour is will depend on your colour sensitivity and tolerance. If Brad says it is brownish purple, then it is indeed brownish purple. Whether your eye is sensitive/trained enough to see the same, I cannot say. I agree that the size is far from small and if you feel that it is still too small for you, there's always the halo route such as the below.

_23678.jpg

yansur

Rough_Rock
I love the daylight color, but I am not sure about the other color. I own a 1ct faceted alexandrite from india. it change from a nice blue-green to an eggplant purple.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are at a place where there are no import taxes, why not order the cabochon to see whether it's a keeper or not? Brad will give you a full refund (minus shipping).

yansur

Rough_Rock
it's not tax free :knockout: I will be obligated to pay 20% import tax, but there's no beautiful cat's eye alexandrite available in any gem dealers here

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I'd rather have brownish-purple incandescent colour and 5.5k in my pocket than pay almost 7k for the wildfishgems one.

The colours of the Gem Trader one is better than that of the starruby ones, i think.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
yansur|1414733827|3775333 said:

First vendor - a high or extremely price is not a guaranty to get a high quality stone.

In my opinion you can get the stones he offers for 10 - 20 % somewhere else.

You can buy the same bottle of champagne in a supermarket or in a "special" house with "special entertainment"!!! Still the same champagne!!!

---

LoversKites is absolutely right!!!

starruby.ind - low quality but the prices are o.k. !!

The gemtrader has a very good quality/price balance. The CE is beautiful. The price o.k.

And you have a very good alex as you posted here - so you know what you want...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Out of the options presented, I'd stay with the GemTrader CE alex for a good balance of quality and price.

the_universe

Rough_Rock
Its OK. The best Alexandrite Ive ever seen color change from Ruby Red (or very good pink sapphire) to Amethyst purple to emerald green. Ive seen much worse alexandrite than the one you posted though so it looks middle end to me. Its always hard to tell from pictures though because you dont know if theres photoshop involved; even videos can be photoshopped quite easily too. I always like to see the stones in person before finalizing any purchases.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
the_universe|1414778920|3775542 said:
Its OK. The best Alexandrite Ive ever seen color change from Ruby Red (or very good pink sapphire) to Amethyst purple to emerald green. Ive seen much worse alexandrite than the one you posted though so it looks middle end to me. Its always hard to tell from pictures though because you dont know if theres photoshop involved; even videos can be photoshopped quite easily too. I always like to see the stones in person before finalizing any purchases.

Where have you seen an alexandrite changing from ruby red to emerald green???

the_universe

Rough_Rock
my great uncle bought a 10 carat in the 1960s when no one knew how valuable they were. I remember the 1st time I saw it my jaw dropped. It was so alien to me. it was a buy of a lifetime for him. Its hard to believe but Alexandrite used to be dirt cheap. No one knew what it was.

Likewise there are so many stones today that are not defined yet (they have not even been named yet and they are sold under their chemical makeup) and are only found in 1-2 places on earth. These stones are cheap and if they start getting popular they can become extremely expensive. Alexandrite is but one example of this.

once you start getting into super exotic colored stones its the wild west as prices are not standardized at all and there is hardly any demand for them because no one knows what they are except a handful of people. Its great for people who do not care for marketing and understand how to assess beauty on their own without outside influence.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
the_universe|1414779532|3775555 said:
my great uncle bought a 10 carat in the 1960s when no one knew how valuable they were. I remember the 1st time I saw it my jaw dropped. It was so alien to me. it was a buy of a lifetime for him. Its hard to believe but Alexandrite used to be dirt cheap. No one knew what it was.

Likewise there are so many stones today that are not defined yet (they have not even been named yet and they are sold under their chemical makeup) and are only found in 1-2 places on earth. These stones are cheap and if they start getting popular they can become extremely expensive. Alexandrite is but one example of this.

once you start getting into super exotic colored stones its the wild west as prices are not standardized at all and there is hardly any demand for them because no one knows what they are except a handful of people. Its great for people who do not care for marketing and understand how to assess beauty on their own without outside influence.

And I would like to see a picture of this incredible 10 ct ruby red to emerald green alexandrite....

They were dirt cheap in the 60th? Unfortunately I was born in the middle of the 60th - If I could turn back time....

Do you know Al2BeO4??? Maybe you have a definition? :read:

liao

Shiny_Rock
No! alexandrite has been soooo freaking expensive ever since the beginning of 20th century. It's impossible to obtain a bargain in alexandrite in 1960s. I have been collecting uncommon stones (including alex) since late 1956, and it is nearly impossible to find a cheap alex. The only cheap and high quality alex that I got was the one from brazil in the late 1980s. And, the only reason I got it cheap was due to the fact that I bought it before the alexandrite rush in Brazil.

Marlow|1414781121|3775563 said:
the_universe|1414779532|3775555 said:

And I would like to see a picture of this incredible 10 ct ruby red to emerald green alexandrite....

They were dirt cheap in the 60th? Unfortunately I was born in the middle of the 60th - If I could turn back time....

Do you know Al2BeO4??? Maybe you have a definition? :read:

I do not think any inexperienced photographer can capture the green spectrum of alexandrite. I heard that the pic under incandescent light is easier to take (unfortunately, I have tried to take countless photo under flou and incan light, but neither were acceptable)

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
No, liao!!

You have to accept that alexandrite was a dirt cheap - esp. at the original location in Alexandria in Egypt!!!!!

Sometimes it is really funny here..... :dance:

And liao

It is fine that you are here!!!! Another long time collector!!!!! :appl: :appl:

Hope you post many gems here - your imperial jade WOW!!

the_universe

Rough_Rock
its easy to extrapolate the data trend backwards to the 1960s and see that the price of alexandrite from that era was much cheaper than it is now. This data only goes back 8 years and the price almost tripled. Imagine the price 5.5 decades ago before internet, and before anyone could educate themselves so quickly and cheaply. Is it really so hard to imagine?
history-2-37.png

liao

Shiny_Rock
the_universe|1414790278|3775653 said:
its easy to extrapolate the data trend backwards to the 1960s and see that the price of alexandrite from that era was much cheaper than it is now. This data only goes back 8 years and the price almost tripled. Imagine the price 5.5 decades ago before internet, and before anyone could educate themselves so quickly and cheaply. Is it really so hard to imagine?
history-2-37.png

First, we do not even know how they calculate that price. Second, does your uncle hunt alex since 1960, or it is only an extremely lucky buy? Though I have to agree that the price of alexandrite has been sky rocketing for the past couple years.

Before I told you my story, do you even know what happen to alex ever since the end of 2010? The same thing happen to demantoid and ruby. it was a phenomenon that I have not experienced before!

Marlow|1414784294|3775593 said:
No, liao!!

You have to accept that alexandrite was a dirt cheap - esp. at the original location in Alexandria in Egypt!!!!!

Sometimes it is really funny here..... :dance:

And liao

It is fine that you are here!!!! Another long time collector!!!!! :appl: :appl:

Hope you post many gems here - your imperial jade WOW!!

Thanks. that imperial jade was the most precious stone I had in my collection :mrgreen:

liao

Shiny_Rock
btw, op, we are sorry for invading ur thread :rodent:

imo, it is an okay stone if you can get ~20% discount. Most of indian alex have great color under flou light, but they look unattractive under incandescent light. India also the main source of high quality cat's eye alexandrite

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I do want to say, the_universe, perhaps if you post clear photographs of the alexandrite and a lab report people wouldn't be so disbelieving.

As for the graph. We only know one of the variables (year). What do the numbers 100-300 mean?

yansur

Rough_Rock
the hell is all of these

I tried to email the seller, but I haven't received any reply

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry for the threadjack but we are back on topic now. If you don't receive a reply within 24 hours, email him again. He always responds within 24 to 48 hours.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results