shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a Garnet? Help needed to find similar stone.

cpandmg

Rough_Rock
I am trying to find a stone that's as close to the one in the attached photo as possible. The jeweler who made this ring (which has since been sold) acquired the stone many years ago. He believes it was mined in Russia and was told it was an Almandine Garnet. This stone is NOT RED. It is a deep slightly orangey pink color, a color of Garnet I've been unable to find via internet search. My jeweler has been unable to locate a similar colored stone via his lapidary resources. It may not even be a garnet, and I don't care if it is, I'm just trying to match the color, cut and size with a real gemstone (no cz's or other imposters). This stone is about 2 carats, 8 mm round, brilliant or diamond cut. Any thoughts or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

01196a8471c81f70cc92529aa7971c8c5f2042ff01.jpg

_20248.jpg

0134f13e2036556bcded8f0ef9195cff904d5ae993.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Malaya garnet or Mahenge pink spinel? There are lots of stones that could come close, such as tourmaline, spinel, sapphire, and other types of garnets.

Can you please post a picture of the actual color you are seeking? Since the color of the stone you posted isn't accurate, it's not helpful. It doesn't have to be a gemstone, it can be of a flower or anything. Orangey pink doesn't give us a lot to go off of.

cpandmg

Rough_Rock
I'm not sure what you're asking. I am looking for a stone that matches the color of the stone in the ring pictured in my original post. I have no other reference for this color.

cpandmg

Rough_Rock
I'm not sure what you're asking. I am looking for a stone that matches the color of the stone in the ring pictured in my original post. I have no other reference for this color.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
IT is a pretty stone!
CP&MG, the colors of the stone in the first, and third of your pics are reddish pink, and pinkish red, and in your second pic it is purple pink. The colors in your pictures don't match and you yourself say they do not match the stone in real life. That is why people are asking for examples of the color you are looking for since your pictures do not seem to be quite on target. Remember that with colored stones you will see different colors, and saturation depending on many variables, type of light, setting and or surrounding colors, even different colors in different angles through the stone. The stone you picture is very pretty, and I think you might get closer to what you want if you can find out what type the stone actually is, because a reddish pink tourmaline and a reddish pink spinel will perform much differently than each other.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It could be hot pink tourmaline too. A substitute stone might not look as intense in other kinds of lighting however.

It could also be a synthetic stone - a lot of them come out of Russia supposedly.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I can't be certain without the stone being in hand, but it does look like a dead ringer for rhodolite garnet, (or a lighter version called umbalite). These stones typically shift color from an orangy pink in incandescent or sunlight to a purplish pink under the more blue light of fluorescent bulbs. Where to find them? Easy, ask any cutter in the U.S. or Europe and they're bound to have a small box full of them. They were all over the place 15 to 20 years ago and very cheacp as rough stones. The colors on these get more pink as they get smaller and more purple as they get larger, with the light colors being rather expensive in large stones over 8mm or so.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michael_E|1405480399|3714190 said:
I can't be certain without the stone being in hand, but it does look like a dead ringer for rhodolite garnet, (or a lighter version called umbalite). These stones typically shift color from an orangy pink in incandescent or sunlight to a purplish pink under the more blue light of fluorescent bulbs. Where to find them? Easy, ask any cutter in the U.S. or Europe and they're bound to have a small box full of them. They were all over the place 15 to 20 years ago and very cheacp as rough stones. The colors on these get more pink as they get smaller and more purple as they get larger, with the light colors being rather expensive in large stones over 8mm or so.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen decent ones in ages. They're usually very dark in tone In incandescent light, they typically look better I believe.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cpandmg|1405472717|3714101 said:

It doesn't look orangish pink in all your pictures, which is why many posters asked for other picture examples of the colour you would like to emulate. I think looking for tourmaline and spinel might be your best bet. I haven't seen a nice enough garnet with that colour for a long time.

cpandmg

Rough_Rock
There may be some small flashes of red, but I tried this ring on many times over many months and it definitely reads as a deep pink, not a red stone. I think the best descriptor is "Magenta." Not a purple pink though. Thanks for all the input.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
cpandmg|1405620613|3715199 said:
There may be some small flashes of red, but I tried this ring on many times over many months and it definitely reads as a deep pink, not a red stone. I think the best descriptor is "Magenta." Not a purple pink though. Thanks for all the input.
Magenta is purple-pink.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magenta

Really, if you'd post a picture of the color you want, we might be able to help you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results