shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it alright to use a colored stone for an engagement ring?

MarlonN

Rough_Rock
Never been engaged before, and I would like to know if it's some unspoken rule that only clear diamonds can be used or can you use any stone for the ring?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Is it alright to use a colored stone for an engagement r

Nope nope nope

No unspoken rule.

Only rule is get her what she wants.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi, lots of people have coloured gemstones as their engagement ring. A popular style is the coloured gem mixed with diamonds. Sapphires (which come in a rainbow of colours, not just blue) and rubies are an excellent gem. Emeralds are a bit brittle and for every day wear a full bezel setting is best. Opals are a bit too soft for everyday wear in a ring. Many gems come in different hues, there's Aquamarine in a lovely clear pale blue, amythest are rich purple p, morganite or Kunzite are pale pink, garnets are deep red. There's a colour out there for everyone's taste (and budget). However, sound out your "intended" before making any purchases, some ladies are only wanting a traditional diamond.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade

The only rule is that you're probably best getting what she wants, other than that there are no rules!

I agree with what Bron357 is saying regarding the durability of the stone for an everyday ring, diamonds would be the best choice if durability was a major factor. But I do not know any people who approach a jewellery piece of any type with that primarily in mind.

Wombats

Shiny_Rock

Look at some of the royal engagement rings. Sapphire and diamond for Kate and Ruby and diamond for Mary.

Get her what she wants. Good Luck

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock

There is no rule that it has to be a diamond. Have some conversations with her or check to see if she has any rings saved on Pinterest.

The best thing is to get her something that she will love! Good luck!

GemstoneNoob

Rough_Rock

I would definitely keep durability in mind. I'm creating my own engagement ring, and It's definitely a concern of mine. I actually tried to buy a really lovely garnet, and the dealer talked me out of it. I was in love with the color, but the durability for an engagement ring, really concerned him. He told me I should stick with Sapphire/Ruby, or Spinel, if i was going to go with a colored stone. From what I understand, Tourmaline should be pretty safe too. I'm not a careful person, and I'm really clumsy. My rings tend to take a lot of abuse, so, if that sounds at all like her, I'd consider that as well, and maybe stay with those stone types.

Sapphire is at a bit higher of a price point, and natural rubies are even higher. Different colors fall into different price ranges though, so you should definitely be able to find something in your budget. Good luck!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

GemstoneNoob|1477550544|4091042 said:
I would definitely keep durability in mind. I'm creating my own engagement ring, and It's definitely a concern of mine. I actually tried to buy a really lovely garnet, and the dealer talked me out of it. I was in love with the color, but the durability for an engagement ring, really concerned him. He told me I should stick with Sapphire/Ruby, or Spinel, if i was going to go with a colored stone. From what I understand, Tourmaline should be pretty safe too. I'm not a careful person, and I'm really clumsy. My rings tend to take a lot of abuse, so, if that sounds at all like her, I'd consider that as well, and maybe stay with those stone types.

Sapphire is at a bit higher of a price point, and natural rubies are even higher. Different colors fall into different price ranges though, so you should definitely be able to find something in your budget. Good luck!

People always leave out chrysoberyl/alexandrite in that list. Higher on the mos scale than spinel, and very unique.

GemstoneNoob

Rough_Rock

Niel|1477574254|4091109 said:
GemstoneNoob|1477550544|4091042 said:

People always leave out chrysoberyl/alexandrite in that list. Higher on the mos scale than spinel, and very unique.

That's never been mentioned to me, so thanks! Guess I get to expand my list, at least to chrysoberyl; alexandrite is way beyond my personal price point :boohoo:

sydneyatl

Shiny_Rock

Owner of a purple sapphire engagement ring here (see my avatar), and couldn't be happier. :dance:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results