shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it allowed to ask what something is Worth here?

allowingtoo

Shiny_Rock
I'm not real familiar with the Ins and Outs so I don't want to get spanked - but I have some a couple of pieces of jewelry that I bought a long time ago that I have no idea of what they could be worth. One is a custom 18k Emerald Ring from Muzo that was built around a piece of Emerald. And another is a Bi-Color Tourmaline that is set in a 14K pendant. I thought it was a Watermelon Tourmaline but after reading here for a few days I realize now that it's not. Is it OK to post pictures and get opinions? Or is that a big no-no? I'm not looking to sell here!!!! NOT! No way - no how. Just a general guide line. I've asked several people about the Emerald and they've always said they have NO IDEA.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Allowingtoo! :wavey:

By all means post photos - we're a nosey bunch and love to see pictures! However, there are too many variables to give you a "that is worth $x" I'm afraid because (a) photos are good but don't tell the whole story (b) treatments are undetectable and will affect value etc. Taking your pieces to a good appraiser would be a far better way of finding out a rough cost. However, whilst they'll be able to talk to you about your stones, again, they probably won't have all the necessary equipment to test but at least it gives you a starting point with an educated opinion. There are a number who post on this board that I'm sure you could take/post your pieces to.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's definitely allowed, but as Lovingdiamonds said, we probably can't do much more than give you a very wide range (what it's worth if it's very treated/fake to what it might be worth if it was genuine and untreated).

We're always happy to see photos though!

allowingtoo

Shiny_Rock
Ok, The Tourmaline doesn't look as nice now that I have a new camera with Macro LOL. Didn't realize that. The Emerald color is correct. I did not take the photos, a friend of mine did and took a lot of time and trouble getting the color correct.

The Tourmaline measures 12mm X 7mm (just the stone)

The Emerald measures 20mm - the whole length of the top of the ring. I couldn't measure just the stone. I used to wear it on my first finger. Because it's 18K the band has gotten kind of thin over the years. I had sizing beads put on it because it's so top heavy.

Tourmaline2.jpg

Tourmaline_0.jpg

DSC09968.jpg

DSC09969.jpg

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nice stones. I like the tourm and the style of the emerald ring. It has great color! IMO the value of the tourmaline is in the size, because its included. What that value is, im not sure. Value is basically what someone will pay for it.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like a watermelon tourmaline to me...I can see a thin bit of "white" in the middle of the other two colors. I don't have anything to offer on price, though. The emerald ring is unique, that will be difficult. Sizes and/or carat weights would be helpful for comparison with other similar stones on the tourmaline. Not sure how to go about dealing with the emerald.

allowingtoo

Shiny_Rock
The tourmaline DOES have a very definite white line in the middle. I guess my picture just washed it out. Maybe it was just too big also.

I was editing pictures in my Google account the other day and something called Picnik opened up. You don't have to have Picasa to use it, it's free. they even have a Firefox extension. It's Facebook friendly. It's a lot like Adobe Elements but they also have themes that you can use. I really like it - it's so easy.

I was trying not to make my picture too colorful - it's not a very "bright" color tourmaline but it is pretty. Here's a smaller shot.

Tourmaline2(2).jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Largosmom said:
Looks like a watermelon tourmaline to me...I can see a thin bit of "white" in the middle of the other two colors. I don't have anything to offer on price, though. The emerald ring is unique, that will be difficult. Sizes and/or carat weights would be helpful for comparison with other similar stones on the tourmaline. Not sure how to go about dealing with the emerald.

Largos - technically that is a bi-colour Tourmaline. A watermelon tourmaline is when you have a ring of green surrounding a red inner (see photo). However, this particular colour-way of Tourmaline is sometimes incorrectly marketed as "watermelon".

Allowingtoo - the Tourmaline is nice and a great size but it's included. If you look here, you'll see various different bi-colour Tourmalines and you can perhaps take a wild guess by comparing. http://www.ajsgem.com/bi-color-tourmaline-gemstone-tourmaline-2046340395.html

As for the Emerald, that's a great piece! Unfortunately I don't think the value is in the stone but it will be in the unique design. As it's so unusual I guess this is one of those rings that you'd have to say "it's as valuable as the highest bidder wants to make it"!

Watermelon Tourmaline.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is perfectly fine to post pictures and get opinions but what you will get are indeed opinions. Nobody can tell you exactly what it is worth because we cannot see/inspect the rings in person. There are many conditions required to even get a ballpark idea:
1. ID of the stone to be sure it is what it is, if not, what is it?
2. Treatment
3. Accurate representation of colour (hue, tone and saturation)
4. Size and clarity (thankfully, quite easy to gauge)

Bi-colour tourmaline
Pretty good colour and a good sized. However, because it is very included, the value will take a big ding.

Emerald
It is difficult to tell from your picture but I cannot see through it.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks LD...did not realize that in order to be "Watermelon tourmaline", it needed to have the full ring. Guess I've seen too many mismarked, as I thought it as just the green and pink together on the same stone. I learn something new all the time here!

Good luck with your price estimates, it's a hard thing to do without paying for an appraisal. Since it seems you want to resell these someplace, all you can do is guesstimate based on other similar examples you can find.

Laura

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Semantics, but worth clarifying to get the info you want: Worth versus price versus actual sales price.

'Worth' is subjective, price is what someone thinks it SHOULD go for and would like to be paid for it, and sales price or market value is what Joe Public would be willing to pay for it.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
If you were to buy these direct from Brazil or Pakistan or Thailand online or in person and not in a retail shop price for the tourmaline would be roughly $15-$24 and the emerald $2-$5. Thats just the stones and not the settings/rings/metal. I like the emerald ring. Anytime rough stones are incorporated in jewelry it's right up my alley.

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Jason,
I don't know about those other countries but here in Thailand, a Tourmaline with that much color, despite the inclusions, would be about $15 per carat wholesale in the market and that stone is about 3 carat by the math. I paid that for 3 similar stones and sold them all quickly after a decent mark up so I believe I got a good buy at 15 and wished I bought more.

Hi Allowingtoo,
The price of a stone increases once it is successfully set also. I could keep going with info but gotta put a little one to bed. Best regards, Lee

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results