shape
carat
color
clarity

International Gemological Institute

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone know much about this lab out of India? In the little research I did on it, I found that it has a good reputation. I specifically was interested in knowing whether they had the capability of assessing stones for beryllium/lattice diffusion. I wrote them and the answer received puzzles me. If anyone can explain it to me, I'd appreciate it. What follows is my correspondence to them and then their reply:

"Hello:

I am interested to know what equipment you have and routinely use to verify invasive treatment of corundum such as beryllium/lattice diffusion. I have found several stones being sold with IGI certificates, but before purchasing them, wanted to make certain that the Mumbai lab has the ability to rule out such invasive treatment with either LA-ICP-MS or LABS equipment?

Thank you in advance for your reply, which I eagerly await.

Sincerely,"

And their response:

" Dear Mr.Minou XXXXX, [they thought I was a man based on Minou, I guess]

We understand your concerns regarding the testing of gemstones carried out in our Mumbai laboratory.
We assure you that every corundum coming to our Mumbai laboratory is checked systematically using various spectrographic tests to identify various treatments such as thermal treatment,beryllium diffusion,surface diffusion etc.Any such treatment identified is clearly disclosed in the colored stone reports.

Due to company policy we cannot disclose the details of testing methods.However,if the concerned stones have the statement "No Indications Of Treatment Have Been Found" mentioned in the report then that would imply that no beryllium diffusion has been observed on the stone.

Do let us know if I.G.I can be of any other assistance.

Regards,
Jigna."

Would this satisfy you? Am I missing something? TIA :wavey:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not good enough for me because heated stones can also be diffused. Obviously if the stone is unheated (or untreated as some call it), it cannot possibly be diffused.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems that purposely or not, avoided answering the specific question I asked, which leads me to believe that when they say something is heated, that they do not have the equipment to rule out more invasive treatments as well.

Anybody else have a different take?

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe they are trying to stay one step ahead of the people trying to beat the system.. I don't know...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results