shape
carat
color
clarity

Info on antique ring please!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since there are more CSers familiar with antique rings recently, I decided to post my heirloom ring here in hopes of getting more information about it. My mother passed it down to me recently and said it was passed down to her from her grandfather. It is clearly worn and used to have a gorgeous patina but my local jeweller decided to make it look shiny new again when all I asked for was to fix a broken shank. :angryfire: There are no visible hallmarks but I suspect this to be at least 22kt gold. As you can tell, some prongs are almost worn away completely. Can anyone guess the approximate age and whatever else bit of nugget to share?

And yes, I know I'm not a good photographer so excuse the blurry pictures.

antique_0.jpg

antique_4.jpg

antique_5.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooh, it's very pretty! I am no expert, but it looks to be from the very late 1800s to me. The little checkerboard bit on the side reminds me of representations of thistles, except it's way too skinny and not-thistley.

And Chrono, being "not a good photographer" doesn't excuse the lack of a face-on shot! :razz:

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1418392398|3800022 said:
Since there are more CSers familiar with antique rings recently, I decided to post my heirloom ring here in hopes of getting more information about it. My mother passed it down to me recently and said it was passed down to her from her grandfather. It is clearly worn and used to have a gorgeous patina but my local jeweller decided to make it look shiny new again when all I asked for was to fix a broken shank. :angryfire: There are no visible hallmarks but I suspect this to be at least 22kt gold. As you can tell, some prongs are almost worn away completely. Can anyone guess the approximate age and whatever else bit of nugget to share?

And yes, I know I'm not a good photographer so excuse the blurry pictures.

You are the second person to mention this issue recently -- I need to remember to ask/instruct about cleaning when I take older stuff in for repairs if I like the patina!

ETA -- the ring is lovely! I was actually thinking the crosshatched narrow pieces reminded me of palm leaves, but i don't know much about this stuff.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, Ma'am....here it is.

old_hands.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhh... that's the money shot right there! How beautiful!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beauty! That stone :love: Do you know what it is?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The original stone is sadly retired due to the extensive damage it suffered. I replaced it with a red spinel but it is only temporary. I am still looking for the right purple coloured replacement stone for this ring.

original_s.jpg

original_5.jpg

liao

Shiny_Rock
I know this one for sure! it is one of the ring made by balinese goldsmith. what so special about it? this gold smith (I cannot remember the name) used to work for one of balinese Royal Family!!! How can I be so certain? I have 90% similar ring that I used as my engagement rings :bigsmile:

The problem is... I do not know whether the ring is authentic or not :(sad

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Liao,
You are that sure? What makes this ring so distinctive to the point you are sure? Is it the design? I'd love to see pictures of your ring. Why are you unsure whether your ring is authentic?

liao

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1418407676|3800131 said:
Liao,
You are that sure? What makes this ring so distinctive to the point you are sure? Is it the design? I'd love to see pictures of your ring. Why are you unsure whether your ring is authentic?

The carving is 90% similar. The problem is the fact that goldsmith had a brother, and only one of them is the 'official' goldsmith for the royal family. He had a really long name, and it's sound like " Ida something something mahendra"

Apparently, there's no way that I can take a pic of the ring now :(sad

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry that the ring isn't with you. I don't know how my ancestors would somehow procure a Balinese ring though. Any chance it might be Thai, Laotian or someplace around there?

liao

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1418415907|3800208 said:
Sorry that the ring isn't with you. I don't know how my ancestors would somehow procure a Balinese ring though. Any chance it might be Thai, Laotian or someplace around there?

Thai? no way, the carving does not resemble any Siamese's goldsmith (unless they made the ring with regards to their client's design). Most of Siamese's works in the past always has to do with living creature such as elephant, flower, or some mythical creatures. Laotian? I do not know. My second best guess is Cambodian ring. My other theory is, the ring was purchased by some foreign mercenary. or looted by japanese soldier

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have any helpful information, but just stopped by to admire your ring. It's gorgeous! So detailed and love the story of it. It's exciting that Liao may be able to help you find out more [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji2]

VintageValuables

Rough_Rock
Nice ring! :love: Id say 1880's-1910. It kinda resembles the "forget me not" style (yes like the flower) with the center being almost a buttercup setting and the sides resembling hearts. Very floral. Forget me not was a popular style in the Victorian area where a guy would give his a girl a ring so she would think of him when she looked at it! Very cute! This style was especially popular in Europe. Not saying thats where its from, just speculating! & sorry about the patina, i don't know why some jewelers think it looks better that way...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you to everyone for your interest and desire to assist. I am quite sure this ring is of Asian origin, so Liao's theory of it being Balinese is a surprise, yet plausible. My great grandparents were very wealthy but my grandfather did not do well financially at all. According to my mother, the other grand-aunts and uncles received the choice pieces (numerous beautiful statement pieces) whilst we were given the leftovers.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Do you have the movie "Masters of Dreams?" I wonder if someone who works (high up) at John Hardy would be able to tell you the names of the Balinese royal family jewelers.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring Chrono.
What a treasure, especially as a family heirloom.

liao

Shiny_Rock
pregcurious|1418708190|3802117 said:
Do you have the movie "Masters of Dreams?" I wonder if someone who works (high up) at John Hardy would be able to tell you the names of the Balinese royal family jewelers.
ummmm... what? :eh:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results