shape
carat
color
clarity

In love with this setting, now to find a stone for it....

amertrine

Rough_Rock
This the setting that I am gonna get...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8x10mm-EMERALD-CUT-14K-YELLOW-GOLD-DIAMOND-Engagement-Wedding-SEMI-MOUNT-RING-7-/250952863260?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item3a6df4ce1c

I am now hunting for a sapphire to put in it, but I don't think it will be easy to find, indeed I haven't yet found one that fits my need... so I'm relying on you guys to help me....please :)
I'm searching for a midnight blue radiant 8x6mm for less than $1000? I was thinking sapphire but if anyone has a better suggestion.
I am OK with heat treated stones.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Re: In love with this setting, now to find a stone for it...

This stone seems to fit the bill but I don't know Jeff Whites pricing, so it may be over budget - worth an inquiry though.

ETA: I posted that without putting brain in gear - chances are it's way over budget :lol: Just loved the stone.

whitesgems-sapphire.png

mochi

Ideal_Rock

Hello...I have that particular setting with a bi-color tourmaline. Unfortunately I have worn that ring only a couple of times and one of the tiny diamond fell out, when and where I have no idea. So now it sets in my jewelry box. I wish I would have had my jeweler check each one of the diamonds to make sure it was secure. :(sad

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

A word of caution ............ buy the stone first. You could end up falling in love with a stone that is 1mm out and then you've already got a setting and wouldn't be able to marry the two. Find a stone and then if you have to, ask LOGR/Lanbo (can't remember who you're setting is with) to customise. That way you'll get a better result and won't be tied to an exact 8x6.

amertrine

Rough_Rock

Starzin|1326504348|3102548 said:
This stone seems to fit the bill but I don't know Jeff Whites pricing, so it may be over budget - worth an inquiry though.

ETA: I posted that without putting brain in gear - chances are it's way over budget :lol: Just loved the stone.

That is a lush stone! That's the size, cut and color I'm looking for- the one snag is that it is long time sold and just to showcase JW's work.....wish it was for sale!

amertrine

Rough_Rock

mochi|1326514230|3102669 said:
Hello...I have that particular setting with a bi-color tourmaline. Unfortunately I have worn that ring only a couple of times and one of the tiny diamond fell out, when and where I have no idea. So now it sets in my jewelry box. I wish I would have had my jeweler check each one of the diamonds to make sure it was secure. :(sad

Ah, good to know! I know LOGR settings are RHR quality and not ering quality so I'm not expecting perfection. That said, I would hate for a stone to fall out. I still want that setting but I will heed your advice Mochi and take it to be checked over and tightened up as soon as it arrives.

amertrine

Rough_Rock

LD|1326547114|3102835 said:
A word of caution ............ buy the stone first. You could end up falling in love with a stone that is 1mm out and then you've already got a setting and wouldn't be able to marry the two. Find a stone and then if you have to, ask LOGR/Lanbo (can't remember who you're setting is with) to customise. That way you'll get a better result and won't be tied to an exact 8x6.

I do plan on getting the stone first then the setting LD. I realise that being so specific with the stone size suggested otherwise! I just think less that 7x5mm and it won't be as blingy as I want. and 9x5 will be too ridiculous as that halo is gonna be 2-4mm of extra finger coverage on all sides. so thats way my range is so tight...maybe for the right stone I'd go for a single halo but I doubt with my budget I could afford it.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The colour of the unheated rectangular JW sapphire is quite nice but not what I think of as midnight blue. What is midnight blue anyway? Do you have any example pictures of the colour you have in mind? When I think of midnight blue, it's a very dark blue, almost to the point of being blackish, with blue flashes. :oops:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

This is posted in Jeff White's gallery. Doesn't that mean it's sold?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pregcurious|1326735399|3104308 said:

This is posted in Jeff White's gallery. Doesn't that mean it's sold?

His gallery consists of gems that he has sold in the past, so yes.

Also with sapphires, you should always ask about any color shifts. Some darker sapphires go very dark and grey in certiain lighting. Not trying to sway you, but if you're going to put a sapphire in a double halo, you might want to consider a lighter toned one as the setting will only make the stone darker. It might not show as much saturation or sparkle in that case. I know everyone wants the Diana/Kate ring, or a stone that color, but that is a prime example of a super dark sapphire that shows very little light return, and IMHO, I think it's rather unattractive and overhyped.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That stone is way too dark for a double halo. I agree with TL about that. About the color well... I'm a sucker for dark blue :shock: But she's right in that it will go very dark in the wrong setting. If you're in love with that, consider going with a very open setting, or, if not in love with it, a lighter blue sapphire.

-A

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

Mochi: It may well cost $100 or less to have the stone replaced locally and the rest of the setting checked, please don't let it sit in the box :((

Amertrine: This chart might help us pin down the colour http://www.gemnation.com/base?processor=getPage&pageName=sapphire_color. I had a better chart saved or bookmarked but can't find it at the moment - it had a list of 5 or 6 "stones" on the right hand side of the page with the accepted colour names/designations.

I posted the JW sapphire because it looked lovely and was the right size. It's also the darkest I personally would go in a sapphire colour and bow to the expert eyes of those who say it will probably darken too much in the setting Amertine is looking at. I'm in Australia and we have an abundance of inky sapphires that I would not grace with the name.

amertrine

Rough_Rock

Also with sapphires, you should always ask about any color shifts. Some darker sapphires go very dark and grey in certiain lighting. Not trying to sway you, but if you're going to put a sapphire in a double halo, you might want to consider a lighter toned one as the setting will only make the stone darker. It might not show as much saturation or sparkle in that case. I know everyone wants the Diana/Kate ring, or a stone that color, but that is a prime example of a super dark sapphire that shows very little light return, and IMHO, I think it's rather unattractive and overhyped.

Good to know! Then I wanted medium/dark blue thru to navy. The JW stone posted is a lovely color but on the lighter end of the range I like. Considering that anystone will darken in a double halo, that would make that stone a perfect candidate for me as I wouldn't mind if it darken a touch- if only it wasn't sold!

amertrine

Rough_Rock

I posted the JW sapphire because it looked lovely and was the right size. It's also the darkest I personally would go in a sapphire colour and bow to the expert eyes of those who say it will probably darken too much in the setting Amertine is looking at. I'm in Australia and we have an abundance of inky sapphires that I would not grace with the name.

Exactly :) but as its not for sale I'm gonna have to find its twin!

Amertrine: This chart might help us pin down the colour http://www.gemnation.com/base?processor=getPage&pageName=sapphire_color. I had a better chart saved or bookmarked but can't find it at the moment - it had a list of 5 or 6 "stones" on the right hand side of the page with the accepted colour names/designations.

I'm liking the strong dark on that color chart.

Colour: I want true blue not with another color undertone.
Saturation: I live vivid, strong and medium.
Tone: Meium and dark

So i'm down in the bottom right corner of the chart but not the very dark row. I do want something that sparkles, not a dead inky boulder like the kate/diana ring.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

Aaagh...I've got to learn to keep up :bigsmile:
This is the chart I was looking for in all the wrong places http://www.crossjewelers.com/products/how_to_buy_sapphire.asp?FolderID=53 it's much simpler to boot and on my monitor the JW matches the Royal Blue. That or Camelot should fill the bill if I'm understanding you.

amertrine said:
Post by amertrine » 17 Jan 2012 05:23

**Starzin** I posted the JW sapphire because it looked lovely and was the right size. It's also the darkest I personally would go in a sapphire colour and bow to the expert eyes of those who say it will probably darken too much in the setting Amertine is looking at. I'm in Australia and we have an abundance of inky sapphires that I would not grace with the name.**

Heheh...onward!!!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

Amertrine did you check those links chel180 posted? All three seem to be within your specs. The third also looks like the color you are seeking and the bidding ended without it being sold - might be worth an email? Always provided of course that any and all of them are prepared to stand by a lab report.

amertrine

Rough_Rock

Starzin|1326801534|3104996 said:
This is the chart I was looking for in all the wrong places http://www.crossjewelers.com/products/how_to_buy_sapphire.asp?FolderID=53 it's much simpler to boot and on my monitor the JW matches the Royal Blue. That or Camelot should fill the bill if I'm understanding you.

amertrine said:

**Starzin** I posted the JW sapphire because it looked lovely and was the right size. It's also the darkest I personally would go in a sapphire colour and bow to the expert eyes of those who say it will probably darken too much in the setting Amertine is looking at. I'm in Australia and we have an abundance of inky sapphires that I would not grace with the name.**

Heheh...onward!!!

Royal Blue all the way! Maybe camelot (on the expectation that it will darken in the halo setting) and all the other specifications were perfect.

amertrine

Rough_Rock

chel180|1326710202|3104085 said:
These may be too cheap for you and are from ebay. I have no experience with any of these sellers, I was just hunting for something for myself and thought you might like to look at these:

Does anyone have any experience with any of these sellers as I'm a bit worried about buying through ebay?

Here are my thoughts on the three suggestions kindly suggested by chel180....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOP-BLUE-CEYLON-SAPPHIRE-1-76-CT-/220933857179?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item3370af1f9b#ht_500wt_1202
I'm not keen on this one as it looks a bit sea blue, (I mean grenish)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EMERALD-RICH-BLUE-CEYLON-SAPPHIRE-1-84-CT-/260776586651?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item3cb77eed9b#ht_2535wt_1185
This one is nice but a bit fat looking and a emerald cut. The culet also doesn't look dead center but that could be the angle for the photos.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-15-CT-BLUE-SAPPHIRE-EMERALD-CUT-BREATHTAKING-CEYLON-/150733948444?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item231871861c#ht_1514wt_1139
this looks the most promising> what do you guys think? I've had already emailed the seller but haven't yet had a response. The picies are so bad that I asked fro better ones. Also the listing says emerald cut but it isn't and its possible that is a stick photo for that seller, so I am unwilling to go for it without seeing more piccies.

jjdav

Shiny_Rock

amertrine|1326809147|3105044 said:
Starzin|1326801534|3104996 said:

amertrine said:

Heheh...onward!!!

Royal Blue all the way! Maybe camelot (on the expectation that it will darken in the halo setting) and all the other specifications were perfect.

Hi, I guess you guys are talking about my sapphire ::) Perhaps you can contact one of the cutters other members have used to get a stone cut for your setting so it fits exactly right?

Cheers

amertrine

Rough_Rock

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

amertrine|1326883265|3105746 said:
You are soooo lucky jjdav! Thats such a lush sapphire.

I've contacted several PS cutters but no-one seems to has any suitable rough.

has anyone had any dealings with this seller?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-15-CT-BLUE-SAPPHIRE-EMERALD-CUT-BREATHTAKING-CEYLON-/150733948444?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item231871861c#ht_1514wt_1139

Also how will I know if I order it that it isn't a bit of blue glass? Is there any way to tell?

#1) You should never ever buy corundum from anyone who isn't a trusted seller. The reason being is that lots of dealers can easily pass off synthetic or diffused (dyed) material that is worth very little. If you get this stone for cheap, then there's a red flag right there. It's probably synthetic, dyed, or so dark and ugly, that it's worth very little nonetheless.

#2) For any expensive stone, you should get an AGL gem brief at the very least, which tests for all the bells and whistles, including diffusion. Some sapphire treatments are not detectible with standard diagnostic equipment and require more extensive/expensive testing. Many Asian labs do not have this equipment, nor does the ebay (Thai) seller ask the lab to test for this treatment, so I would not get an Asian lab report for sapphire (JMO). You can get an Asian lab report that states the stone is heated, but that means it could also be diffused. If you didn't pay too much for the stone, and you don't care as much about treatment, but you did buy from a trusted seller, then perhaps you don't need a lab report.

That being said, I have had luck with ebay seller Odysseygem (other stores are gemburionline and VVS1GEM). I purchased two sapphires from him, and sent them both to AGL, which deemed them as heated only (not diffused), as they were advertised. My friend bought a heated sapphire from them to find out it was unheated by the lab (a bonus!!). He has some octagons in his listings now, but they may not be the color you want. He can obtain an Asian lab report, but honestly, I don't trust the Asian labs for sapphire (other stones, yes, but definitely not sapphire).

amertrine

Rough_Rock

I am having all the same worries that you are talking about TL.

After reading the ebay feedback for several of the stone suggested by chel180, if the feedback is accurate some a blue glass and some a stock lab created.

amertrine

Rough_Rock

ebay seller Odysseygem (other stores are gemburionline and VVS1GEM

I've tried these guys but not found anything suitable.

Are there any other gems that would be cheaper, more readily available in radiant cuts but with that lovely medium-dark blue color and a nice luster??????

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

amertrine|1326972272|3106550 said:
ebay seller Odysseygem (other stores are gemburionline and VVS1GEM

I've tried these guys but not found anything suitable.

Are there any other gems that would be cheaper, more readily available in radiant cuts but with that lovely medium-dark blue color and a nice luster??????

There's blue spinel, which is durable, but not readily available in radiant cuts, and often has a grey mask. I think you just need to be a bit more patient and wait for the right sapphire. Sometimes it can take a while.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

Sorry to hear those haven't turned out Amertrine but TL has given good advice, particularly about the lav report - ignore this at your peril! (It's okay I just wanted to make sure you were paying attention :bigsmile: ) It's important to get it before you pay for the stone.

While there are other gems with the hardness and durability there isn't anything really with the colour of sapphire if that's the blue you're after.

OTOH there are Montana sapphires and recently someone came looking for a sapphire and fell in love with a Montana. So it can happen :bigsmile: Be warned that they are quite a different animal though. Andrew Guliji of Gemfix seems to have a fair stock http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_montana.html, if one of the colours on that page appeals to you he is a precision cutter who might be able to help out and cut you one in an emerald radiant.

By the way I saw on a chart the other other day that an oblong with the cut corners is referred to as an emerald and the shape with sharp 90deg corners are a rectangle - so that's probably why you were getting all those comments from jewellers about emeralds. They were simply referring to the shape perhaps rather than being so focused on the cut. I certainly never made the connection before.

Let us know what you think of the Montana.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results