shape
carat
color
clarity

If YOU Were Doing An Engagement Ring . . .

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1382301815|3541252 said:
This is a fabulous stone! I missed the thread entirely! :nono: Is it really an antique stone? And I'll take a quarter carat of magnificent over 10 carats of average, any day. :love: :cheeky:

Thanks.
I don't think it's antique since it has a faceted girdle, except where they left the naturals.

Leibish said they had no provenance for it.

But then, look at its wonky angled culet.

screen_shot_2013-10-20_at_2.png

screen_shot_2013-10-20_at_1.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fel|1382305188|3541290 said:
I'll play.

Since I believe purple goes with everything, and I am partial to stars, possibly I would get this untreated 5.5 carat antique violet (color shifting) star sapphire ring from rubylane, the three graces.

I LOVE cabochons for e rings! The look anyway, so amazingly unique, even if its a color thats common.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
so one dream ring i have is a two tone pear pave bypass ring.

Half yellow, half white. The yellow would be yellow gold with yellow pave and a yellow pear, with strong yellow fluor.

The of course the white would be white gold, white pave and a white pair, SBF...

Sorry i know you said no white diamonds... but i figured theres enough yellow to count. Anyways, thats my nerdy RHR idea... a fluortastic pair of pears. :geek:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Culet schmulet, it's fabulous, Kenny. A real pleasure to look at your skilled photos.

I wouldn't turn this ring down. From Christie's Magnificent Jewels sale next month, with the catalogue blurb. Mmmmmm. 5.09 ct., pink diamond halo. I don't think the colors reproduce real well here.

ruby_ring_5.jpg

_11086.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1382185201|3540595 said:
Fun thread, iLander! :wavey:

Couldn't decide, so here are 2 I'd accept from just about anyone.

McTeague & McClelland teal sapphire
JF, that's interesting. I have a YG setting which I may now use for a teal sapphire.

I think I see a window?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were to spec an engagement ring now, I would probably ask Eric at Wild Fish Gems to find me an unheated neo pink stone and have it cut by Richard Homer into a heart shape, about 2ct cut size, and have it bezel-set in a diamond halo 3pt each, on a plain court shape profile ring shank at least 4mm wide, in platinum.

Deep down I am a romantic at heart!

DK :oops: :lol:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I would like an ering with a pink sapphire, a blue diamond or a tsavorite garnet. Of course if it sparkles I like it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1382307223|3541312 said:
Culet schmulet, it's fabulous, Kenny. A real pleasure to look at your skilled photos.

I wouldn't turn this ring down. From Christie's Magnificent Jewels sale next month, with the catalogue blurb. Mmmmmm. 5.09 ct., pink diamond halo. I don't think the colors reproduce real well here.

I'm sorry.
Every time I pay 1.5 million dollars for a ring I insist all the FCDs have GIA reports.
Nothing wrong with treated FCDs ... but at 1.5 million dollars ... uhm ... no way! Jose!

aprilzephyr

Rough_Rock
I have a blue sapphire eRing, which we of course love, but there are so many lovely gem colors out there. Personally, I'm partial to orange and wouldn't say no to this diamond ;-) I prefer this one over the one that is about to go to auction.
sothebys-rare-fancy-vivid-orange-diamond-ring-fcd.png

Also Pokey's tsavorite LM has always been one of my favorite PS eRings - his ring is probably what tipped over our decision to go with LM in the end. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege-daniel-k-tsavorite-pictures-inside.46511/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege-daniel-k-tsavorite-pictures-inside.46511/[/URL]
2111-b.jpg

And I know this wouldn't be popular as the stone is quite soft, but I would be very happy to wear an opal with lots of POC as my eRing even if I couldn't wear it on a daily basis. It would be as if I'm wearing a piece of abstract art on my finger.
blackopalring.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1382313360|3541360 said:
I'm sorry.
Every time I pay 1.5 million dollars for a ring I insist all the FCDs have GIA reports.
Nothing wrong with treated FCDs ... but at 1.5 million dollars ... uhm ... no way! Jose!
I wondered about that too, Kenny. Kinda sloppy if you ask me. Oh well, what's 1.5 mill -- pocket money, when Big Orange is in the same sale. I mean, Big Fancy Vivid Orange. 14.82 ct, estimate $17- to $20 million. And it's cut very shallow! (When are you gonna register to bid, Aprilzephyr?)

Sorry for the threadjack, iLander! :nono:

--- Laurie

the_orange.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
pregcurious|1382307468|3541317 said:
JF, that's interesting. I have a YG setting which I may now use for a teal sapphire.

I think I see a window?

Preg, I wonder if it's a reflection of some sort. That ring goes for around $20K from what I hear. I can't imagine MC2 using anything with a window, especially one you could walk through. My first thought when I saw it was what a lousy pic it is of a teal sapphire, but I imagine they're verrry hard to photograph.

Using one in your yg setting sounds stunning!

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pregcurious,
I took a good look at the MC2 teal sapphire and the magnified picture helped a lot. It's not a true window because although the colour is extremely light and see-through-ish, you don't really see through the stone to whatever object behind it. You can see the pavilion faceting right down to the culet. My guess is that either the photography isn't that great, the angles aren't cut quite right or that the stone is ever so slightly angled or a combination of any of the 3.

Distracts,
I'd like to update my Mahenge spinel picture. The ones I took way back then are laughable and quite embarrasingly poor. My photography skills have improved and the one below is closer to what I see IRL. I am honoured that you think my ring is worthy of being an engagement ring.

better_5_ct_mahenge_spinel_picture.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are so many beauties that I don't which one I love best. My choices will be the more durable stones such as coloured diamonds, chrysoberyl (and alexandrite) and corundum but I might also go for a spinel as well.

The top ring is a 3 stone with a fancy vivid blue diamond. I'm not a traditionalist so this appeals to me very much.
The second is a 6 ct alexandrite cabochon. Again, it is a departure from the norm, yet timeless. This ring has the fun appeal of not only the colour change but a cat's eye.

sothebys-important-fancy-vivid-blue-diamond-ring.png

6ctccalex.jpg

aprilzephyr

Rough_Rock
JewelFreak|1382352810|3541535 said:
kenny|1382313360|3541360 said:
I'm sorry.
I wondered about that too, Kenny. Kinda sloppy if you ask me. Oh well, what's 1.5 mill -- pocket money, when Big Orange is in the same sale. I mean, Big Fancy Vivid Orange. 14.82 ct, estimate $17- to $20 million. And it's cut very shallow! (When are you gonna register to bid, Aprilzephyr?)

Sorry for the threadjack, iLander! :nono:

--- Laurie

LoL just as soon as I make my billions, JewelFreak. Good thing this color appears more much yellow to me than orange (marigold maybe?) - less temptation :wink2:

Tiffany orange sapphire anyone?
tiffanysapphire.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Aprilzephyr, Jim Rentfrow has an orange sapphire last I checked.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1382358925|3541565 said:
There are so many beauties that I don't which one I love best. My choices will be the more durable stones such as coloured diamonds, chrysoberyl (and alexandrite) and corundum but I might also go for a spinel as well.

The top ring is a 3 stone with a fancy vivid blue diamond. I'm not a traditionalist so this appeals to me very much.
The second is a 6 ct alexandrite cabochon. Again, it is a departure from the norm, yet timeless. This ring has the fun appeal of not only the colour change but a cat's eye.

OMG Chrono than Alex cat eye is stunning!!!!

aprilzephyr|1382400376|3541956 said:
LoL just as soon as I make my billions, JewelFreak. Good thing this color appears more much yellow to me than orange (marigold maybe?) - less temptation :wink2:

Tiffany orange sapphire anyone?
tiffanysapphire.jpg

If it looks like this IRL that would be so luscious!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Luscious is right! So yummy I want to eat it! I love the cat's eye, Chrono, unique & beautiful!

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I could recreate any ring for a e ring I would go with Chrono's spinel ring even if I could use a diamond or sapphire centre!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I love this one:

_11152.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Well since you asked.....

8085_0.jpg

_11155.jpg

Attachments

• _68.bmp
    281.7 KB · Views: 614

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
SB621|1382475922|3542514 said:
Well since you asked.....

I love the spinel in the white metal setting. I always thought that red stones looked best in yellow or partly yellow settings, but I love this. I guess it looks good because the spinel has so little to no brown tone (i.e. little orange modifier)?

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1382297530|3541211 said:
iLander|1382273630|3541079 said:
sphenequeen said:
Kenny's green OEC.
kenny said:
Aw shucks. :oops:
Wait. What? :shock:
Where's that?
How did I miss that?
Please provide link!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

At 0.26 carat it's only large enough to be an e-ring for maybe a Barbie doll. :oops: :lol:

But it is an OEC Fancy Intense Green diamond, VS2 and fully-natural per GIA.
Though tiny, I don't think there are many OECs like it floating around.
As an added bonus is sparkles like crazy, which is probably more rare in an FCD than a pure-Green OEC.

Though posted before and having some dark shadows, this is probably my best pic of it.

This vendor pic probably has the most accurate color and shows the cut pattern better.
Size is no issue with me... Just give me that green OEC and I would make it the center of a fabulous ring!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love a giant natural unheated padparadscha the same color as the flower in Rosebloom's avatar.

Rosebloom,
I've been meaning to tell you I love your avatar flower's color. It's perfect padparadcha color.

Other than that, any giant fancy colored diamond ring in the vivid or intense range will do just fine. :naughty:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What don't I love about this thread? Yes, TL, I'm with you want the huge padparadscha the color of Rosebloom's avatar. Aprilzephyr: Gah!!! That orange diamond ring is sooo me! I love orange and I would love a really sparkly orange diamond.

iLander: thanks for starting this thread - great idea. Just want you to know that I laugh every time I see this thread because I keep reading the title as "If you were an Engagement Ring..." lol. :bigsmile:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would like something green, like this:

or Halle Berry's.... (probably waaay more expensive but a beauty)

tourmaline-engagement-rings-adel-chefridi--green-tourmaline-01.jpg

halle-berry-ring4-a1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, Halle Berry's stone glows. Is it an emerald?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1382638154|3543836 said:
Wow, Halle Berry's stone glows. Is it an emerald?

yes

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
TL|1382532401|3542855 said:
I would love a giant natural unheated padparadscha the same color as the flower in Rosebloom's avatar.

Rosebloom,
I've been meaning to tell you I love your avatar flower's color. It's perfect padparadcha color.

Other than that, any giant fancy colored diamond ring in the vivid or intense range will do just fine. :naughty:

Thank you, TL - and we think alike. I picked that picture because it's my holy grail pad sapphire color too! But I'd take a spinel that color as well.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine will look something like this in reverse (ring as seen in WF a while back), big enough for every day wear without being too showy:

hearttmb_big_dscn4651.jpg

My bad in referring Edward B at Wild Fish as Eric, sorry!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

DK :))

aprilzephyr

Rough_Rock
pregcurious|1382401660|3541968 said:
Aprilzephyr, Jim Rentfrow has an orange sapphire last I checked.

I'm not sure how I missed this! Thanks, Pregcurious - I'll have to check it out. Technically, I'm on a hiatus from buying more gems and pearls this year (bought 3 stones, two strands and a pair of pearl earrings...) A vivid orange sapphire is on my holy grail list. I'd also love a padparadscha colored diamond one day - like I said, when I make my billions :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results