shape
carat
color
clarity

If my gem never makes it to me...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
So... the beautiful lost in the USPS Precision Gem opposed bar cut tourmaline hasn''t made it to my doorstep yet. I''m holding out hope, but I''m also preparing myself for the worst (refund). So, lovely ladies and gents of PS, can you help me find another stone that could make my sister happy? I fell in love with the idea of opposed bar cut, but if you can find something blue/blue-green with a lot of sparkle that isn''t an opposed bar cut tourmaline and is hard enough to be set by JKT in a bezel pendant, bring it on! My sister is pretty trendy (Am. Apparel style), wears a lot of black and gray, but can also be really classy and higher fashion. I want something unusual for her (and yes, I''ve asked Gene if he has more rough like that).

If I prepare for the worst, then maybe the PG tourmaline will make it here anyway and I can keep it for me! She''d never be the wiser
31.gif

Here are the ones I''ve found so far. I''m not in love with any of them in the same way, but... What do you think? I want something big enough to be visible and under $200.

This one is 1.65 carats, 5 x 9.5 mm.

artcutoppbartourm.jpg

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
And this one, 14.2 mm by 6.3 (3.03 carats, big!)

gemfixoppbar.jpg

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Is this going to just be really, really dark?

And there are a couple ECs of good color, but I''m not sure about how much sparkle they''d have (more knowledgeable people, please let me know what you think!).

Thanks for your help!

rolltopbag.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/26/2009 9:28:54 PM
Author:Novel
So... the beautiful lost in the USPS Precision Gem opposed bar cut tourmaline hasn''t made it to my doorstep yet. I''m holding out hope, but I''m also preparing myself for the worst (refund). So, lovely ladies and gents of PS, can you help me find another stone that could make my sister happy? I fell in love with the idea of opposed bar cut, but if you can find something blue/blue-green with a lot of sparkle that isn''t an opposed bar cut tourmaline and is hard enough to be set by JKT in a bezel pendant, bring it on! My sister is pretty trendy (Am. Apparel style), wears a lot of black and gray, but can also be really classy and higher fashion. I want something unusual for her (and yes, I''ve asked Gene if he has more rough like that).

If I prepare for the worst, then maybe the PG tourmaline will make it here anyway and I can keep it for me! She''d never be the wiser
31.gif

Here are the ones I''ve found so far. I''m not in love with any of them in the same way, but... What do you think? I want something big enough to be visible and under $200.

awww Novel, I''m sooooo sorry that its taken so loong to find out where it is, but I just had to giggle at the highlighted, as I would be the same way
31.gif
off for some gem hunting will be back my dear
9.gif

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/26/2009 9:33:36 PM
Author: D&T
Date: 10/26/2009 9:28:54 PM

Author:Novel

31.gif

awww Novel, I''m sooooo sorry that its taken so loong to find out where it is, but I just had to giggle at the highlighted, as I would be the same way
31.gif
off for some gem hunting will be back my dear
9.gif

Thanks, D&T! I do feel like that stone would be perfect for her, and I know I have a lot of time (she grads in May, for goodness'' sake) but still, I feel anxious not knowing if I''ll have a stone for this project! And, well, if both show up, then one for me
9.gif

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Packrat! I wish I could come up with a gem metaphor, but I''m tapped out.
1.gif

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow Novel, I''m sorry to hear about your lost stone...bummer. I would be totally beyond bummed. its good you''re seeing the bright side of things, but I still hope it can be found.

Since I just happen to be looking for myself
emembarrassed.gif
*lol* I''ll see if I can find anything with your requirements.

-A

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, ladies, for the sympathy! BF totally thinks I''m nuts here and I can''t get my other sister to remember we''re doing this! I appreciate you guys caring.

D&T, I like that idea, something a little more sedate. The stone is really pretty and I like the cut a lot. The RI of aqua is relatively low, right? Would it have much sparkle to it?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
D&T I nearly posted the same thing...LOL good call!
36.gif

In the right setting that will really pop!

-A

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, ladies. I know, that stone is gorgeous. I think its too green for my sister, though. She has pretty olive skin and light green tends to look a little, as she always puts it, "washy". Trust me, I''ve gone back to it at least once a day to wonder over it! I appreciate the trying, though.

So I take it no one likes the stones I posted, huh? I think the only one I really could like is the first one, but I can''t figure out whats going on at the bottom of it.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
actually Novel, I like the first one you posted. If she''s got an olive undertone that color would work best for her. A lot of people that are olive toned that I know usually wear yellow gold very well, though that may not be the case for her.

I can see that stone set in all kinds of stuff. So how ARE you going to set it??

-A

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
JKT didn''t get to do sketches yet, but the plan is a bezel pendant. With the original stone, we had been planning north south, but I don''t know with this, if it goes this way.

Ooh, Arcadian, you''re right! YG with the first one could be great. She does a lot of YG and some two tone, which could be interesting and JKT would probably do really well.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Check out the half price sale at clearcutgems. Link Prices are currently 50% of those listed, unless he says otherwise. This 2.06 ct tourmaline would be $150.

clearcutbluck2crp.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Novel again I''m sorry for your discomfort and distress.

I do like the first one you posted.

dancingflame

Shiny_Rock
That PG tourmaline is gorgeous!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Very sorry your stone''s still lost. I hope it turn up soon!
If you need to get another one I like FG''s one''s best and the first one you posted next.
12.gif

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/26/2009 10:47:04 PM
Author: Fly Girl
Check out the half price sale at clearcutgems. Link Prices are currently 50% of those listed, unless he says otherwise. This 2.06 ct tourmaline would be $150.

Oh my god, Fly Girl, thats it! That stone is great! It achieves the same purpose and has the right color balance! Thank you!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Everyone, thanks for your sympathy and help! I talked to Gene today and he''s going back to the PO and will get me a reimbursement. He said he might have some rough that he could cut to something similar, but I think after seeing the stone Fly Girl found, I''m going to get that and then go from there. If I end up with two, I end up with two
9.gif

Thanks again!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Novel,
I'm so sorry about your PG tourmaline. I've never dealt with CCG but that picture shows a very attractive coloured tourmaline. Can anyone on PS vouch for the accuracy of their pictures?

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/27/2009 2:36:11 PM
Author: Chrono

Novel,

I'm so sorry about your PG tourmaline. I've never dealt with CCG but that picture shows a very attractive coloured tourmaline. Can anyone on PS vouch for the accuracy of their pictures?

Good point, Chrono. I couldn't find anything in my search this morning, but they do have a good 12 day return policy. (ETA, and thanks!)

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2009 2:36:11 PM
Author: Chrono

Novel,
I''m so sorry about your PG tourmaline. I''ve never dealt with CCG but that picture shows a very attractive coloured tourmaline. Can anyone on PS vouch for the accuracy of their pictures?
I just purchased amethyst A1 from Lloyd last Friday, and it arrived in my mailbox on Monday. The picture was fine compared to the real life stone. I''ll try to take a photo.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Fly Girl. It’s good to know that we have another trusted vendor that we can now recommend to others.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Fly Girl, I really appreciate the help. Look forward to seeing your pics!

I emailed him this morning to put it on hold. I''d like to wait until I hear from Gene about the PO and get my other sis''s ok.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

Here is my Clear Cut Gems amethyst. My camera takes terrible pictures of amethyst; it always comes out looking bluer while what I see is more purple. Lloyd''s picture is better than mine in that respect. He did say the stone has magenta flashes, and my camera will capture those.

ClearCutGemsAmethystA1Comp.JPG

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Fly Girl, for the photos! And for finding the stone. I bought it this morning! I shipped it to my office so I wouldn''t have any of this "package possibly on my stoop" terror. I''ll let you guys know how it looks when I get it! Yay.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/28/2009 9:58:34 AM
Author: Novel
Thanks, Fly Girl, for the photos! And for finding the stone. I bought it this morning! I shipped it to my office so I wouldn''t have any of this ''package possibly on my stoop'' terror. I''ll let you guys know how it looks when I get it! Yay.
Glad to be of help, Novel. I hope you like the stone.
36.gif

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
--- Can anyone on PS vouch for the accuracy of their pictures? ---

Oh, me.

I'm the one who originally posted the link to the 50 percent off sale. I just bought an opposed bar cut rhodolite from them. Picture from the site was quite accurate. However, I had asked him to send a few more pictures, but most of those photos made the stone much lighter than it is.

I tell you this opposed bar cut is so terribly fun. It looks like it's plugged in changing pixel board in the right light. You all need to get one. :)

Hope your stone shows up, still, Novel.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/28/2009 4:24:32 PM
Author: sonomacounty
--- Can anyone on PS vouch for the accuracy of their pictures? ---

Oh, me.

I''m the one who originally posted the link to the 50 percent off sale. I just bought an opposed bar cut rhodolite from them. Picture from the site was quite accurate. However, I had asked him to send a few more pictures, but most of those photos made the stone much lighter than it is.

I tell you this opposed bar cut is so terribly fun. It looks like it''s plugged in changing pixel board in the right light. You all need to get one. :)

Hope your stone shows up, still, Novel.
A belated thank you, sonoma, for posting the link.
1.gif

Always nice to find another precision cutter.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results