shape
carat
color
clarity

I went to Intergem on Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I met up with Allison, KtIceRN, Hudson Hawk and blinkydoll and a good time was had by all. I was rather disappointed that there were *so* many bead vendors but there were still enough gem/jewelry vendors to satisfy. Allison got us all over onto the trade side of the show and it seemed that bead vendors were even more prevalent there; I recall only two booths there that were not selling beads.

There were some very nice stones out on the public side too. I saw some really beautiful spessartites, pads, tsavorites and emeralds but what really stood out to me were two cat''s eye chrysoberyls. They were both perfectly translucent and without inclusions, the eyes were centered and really sharp with a good milk and honey effect too. Unfortunately they were both out of my budget. The 4+ carat round was $450/carat and the 6+ carat oval was $4,500/carat.

Here are my purchases:

2.1 carat spessartite. It has bubbles in it but they don''t detract from it at all.

This one is indoors in indirect light.

3521241689_3bd6bf48d2_o.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Indoors with the flash on.

3522052058_35ac04f93f_o.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Outside in the shade.

3521241509_6cd2595808_o.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Outside in the sun.

3522051968_5dfeab2398_o.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Star ruby in the sun. It''s not a quality star ruby at all (opaque, included and more pinky-magenta than red) but the star is very nice.

3521241525_de7fa93da5_o.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
In the sun again.

3521241549_485bfa7bb2_o.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Inside under a flashlight. The star is way off center here because I couldn''t juggle the camera and the flashlight at the same time.

3521241699_f3c25d993c_o.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I also picked up 2 mali melee that match a mali garnet I already have. And my big purchase of the day was me sending my vanadium chrysoberyl off to be set by Andrew Sarosi. I didn''t have a camera at the show so Allison will have to chime in with pictures of the sample setting.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love both of your gems. The spess is a great color.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
The Intergem show is going to be in my area this Friday, and I can''t wait to go!!! I saw some spessartites at the last one that I hope to see again - they glowed like you wouldn''t believe. Yours is much more of a top color orange (the ones I saw were more yellow), so nice find!! I too, hate all the beads. Hey, did you see the vendors with the handbags??!! I couldn''t believe they had those at a gem show.

How are you having your chrysoberyl set? Did you bring it in with you, or did you buy it there? Glad you all had a good time - I''m jealous you had a GTG.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/11/2009 2:42:01 PM
Author: cellentani
The Intergem show is going to be in my area this Friday, and I can''t wait to go!!! I saw some spessartites at the last one that I hope to see again - they glowed like you wouldn''t believe. Yours is much more of a top color orange (the ones I saw were more yellow), so nice find!! I too, hate all the beads. Hey, did you see the vendors with the handbags??!! I couldn''t believe they had those at a gem show.

How are you having your chrysoberyl set? Did you bring it in with you, or did you buy it there? Glad you all had a good time - I''m jealous you had a GTG.

Yeah I saw the handbag vendor as well as the sunglasses vendor
20.gif

Thanks! The spess is really pretty, even with the bubbles.

I''ve brought the chrysoberyl with me, in fact I brought all my unset stones with me just in case. I was toting around a little gem store in my purse.

Yes, it was a lot of fun going with jewelry/gem minded people. I can just imagine going there with my husband: *husband looks bored and checks watch* "so can we go now?" me: *whines* ''but we''ve only been here 2 hours!

LindaW: Thanks! It is a very nice looking stone in person.

RubyCharm: The star is so much fun to play with.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry for the thread hijack Kismet, but I just wanted to warn any future attendees of Intergem - DO NOT GET STONES SET THERE!!! The jewelers are too busy and are rushing to do as many jobs as possible. There is a high probability of ruining your gem, the setting, or the workmanship, or all of the above. Thank you, threadjack over.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Agree with TL! I did get mine set there a couple months ago. The stone was not damaged but the setting job was total CRAP! It was free - but it''s just too risky. Find a jeweler and pay them to do it. :)

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds really fun and some nice finds too! I looked up the show and it looks like it will be in Denver June 12-13, 2009. Anyone going when it comes to Denver?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/11/2009 4:11:38 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Sorry for the thread hijack Kismet, but I just wanted to warn any future attendees of Intergem - DO NOT GET STONES SET THERE!!! The jewelers are too busy and are rushing to do as many jobs as possible. There is a high probability of ruining your gem, the setting, or the workmanship, or all of the above. Thank you, threadjack over.

Hrm, I''m pretty sure Allison got something set there and it was done okay. I think her setting was done at the end of the day, so perhaps they weren''t as busy.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/11/2009 6:53:41 PM
Author: Kismet

Hrm, I''m pretty sure Allison got something set there and it was done okay. I think her setting was done at the end of the day, so perhaps they weren''t as busy.
Yeah, I''d be a little leery of getting work done "on the spot", especially since there''s not much recourse if something goes awry, but I''m sure there might be a vendor who does decent work. Of course, it might also depend on how busy they are (and how many employees the vendor has), and the type of job being done. Like any jewelry store, it all depends on the individual bench man. Here''s hoping Allison''s work was done right!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/11/2009 6:53:41 PM
Author: Kismet

It''s always risky using a jeweler there. I had a humongous chip in an emerald that I had set at the show, and it was also set crooked. I also had other things shoddily set, bad prong work, etc. . . I personally would wait, find a good benchman, and make sure it''s done properly.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like you had a wonderful and fun day! Better to go with people that really really like stones.

Nice color on your new Spess. I also like the star stone. Congrats!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results