shape
carat
color
clarity

I want a sapphire ring

Sapphire Ring

Rough_Rock
We went to look at rings last night, at a gorgeous jewelers in fort lauderdale. They gave us a tour of the facility where things are made and designed. It's likely that they'll design the ring with us, but we want a good price on a natural blue sapphire. At least 2 carats. I like cushion cuts.

Where should we be looking for good deals. Size matters, and this doesn't need to be the highest quality stone.

The jewelry district in Miami is a possibility, anybody specific there we should speak to (or avoid?). Is the Intergem Show in a few weeks worth checking out?

And for kicks, here are some rings I like.

8b.jpg

Sapphire-Trellis-Ring8.gif

this might be it.jpg

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
You can probably get the best price online.

Sounds like size is more important than quality. I think a heated stone is best for you, but no other treatments! When you say it doesn't have to be the highest quality, are you thinking about compromising most on cut, color, or clarity?

In my opinion, cut is probably most important for you, breathing life into just so-so material. You'll probably want something that's eye clean at arm's length. I would probably go for a lighter blue with a slight gray modifier, maybe greenish-- at least over a dark opaque blue.

Do you have a sense of what your budget is? When you start getting into the 2 ct range, things start getting pricey.

You can probably find a stock setting along those lines, which should be affordable.

I would check out Michael E at gemshoppe.com. His website is kinda perpetually under construction, so email him. He can definitely hook you up with an affordable and beautiful sapphire, probably custom cut, and a setting to put it in. He's great to work with.

Otherwise, there are a lot of other trusted vendors on here. Check out the sticky thread - Sites Selling Colored Gemstones and Jewelry - or just browse around.

Good luck and have fun!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I went to the Seybold Building (the main exchange in Miami), and was disappointed. Sorry.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My only advice to you is to find a stone first before you think about settings. I know you're looking for a cushion cut now BUT you may find that down the line something else catches your eye and then throws you completely off on a different course for a setting!

For sapphires, have a look at www.simplysapphires.com who have great customer service and are very reasonably priced. They have heated and unheated. I'm not sure of their returns policy but I believe it's good. They also work with a designer who creates settings and I think there's a link on their website (and definitely there are some pictures of rings she's made).

Good luck and don't forget we need photos!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results