shape
carat
color
clarity

I suppose white could be a color...

tinis

Rough_Rock
I`m finally here making my first post, and it`s to ask you lovely folks about your opinion on white sapphires. I am hoping to find a large round for use in an e ring. I have been looking around at a couple of online sites, but was hoping for a little more help. Any assistance in finding a large round would be very appreciated. (Also, if you know of anywhere that I could obtain a large round yellow sapphire with a real lemon color that would be a fine alternative for the white)

And if anyone has some understanding of how a sapphire would be best cut, could you help me with a round that is 8.8mm with a depth of 6.1mm (69%)? I know that is way too deep for a diamond, but would it be acceptable for a white sapphire?

Thank you in advance for all your help!

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Michael E. cut white half moons, untreated, for me to use on the sides of my blue cushion sapphire. You might call and inquire of him as to whether he has any more rough. I assume you have seen white sapphire, and know this is the look you want? White sapphire is not to be mistaken for a white diamond.

I believe it is hard to locate, because it can be colored. I had one of our well known cutters on this forum look for some rough for me on one of the buying trips the cutters take to Africa. He did not find anything suitable. Keep us posted. I love white sapphire!

tinis

Rough_Rock
Thank you Pink Tower, and yes, I have seen white sapphire and I love it also! I wish it was much easier to obtain, and that people wouldn't want to color it! Its got a beauty all its own.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I was just at a Richard Homer roundtable yesterday evening, and I saw some lovely yellow sapphires, and he also passed around a colorless one. He has top-notch cutting, and one of his stones would truly be worthy of an engagement ring.

He has a website here http://www.concavegems.com/main.html

and also has a number of stones that are not listed.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
tinis|1298042730|2854684 said:
And if anyone has some understanding of how a sapphire would be best cut, could you help me with a round that is 8.8mm with a depth of 6.1mm (69%)? I know that is way too deep for a diamond, but would it be acceptable for a white sapphire?

Yes, 69% depth is perfectly acceptable for a sapphire. There are just as many factors in determining if a sapphire is well cut as there are with diamonds and so it would help to know a lot of other dimensions of the stone. Do you have some pictures from the top as well as the sides or perhaps a cert with dimensions on it?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results