shape
carat
color
clarity

I shouldn''t even be considering this...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
but please tell me what you think of this peridot anyway.
2.gif

I like it because it is such an interesting shape (think awesome pendant!) and the color reminds me of the burma stones that got posted around here a few weeks ago from Burma Partners. This is also supposed to be of Burmese origin. Then again, it is such an unusual color for peridot that it makes me concerned about its authenticity. The seller will accept returns for items that are misrepresented, and they have an excellent feedback rating, so I''d like to be an optimist.
20.gif

Authenticity questions aside...What should I expect to pay per ct. for this stone? It is already more expensive than most 5 ct. peridot I have seen, but I really do love the color. Also, do you think it looks a little "flat?"

SIZE: 14.6mm X 8.5mm
CARAT WEIGHT: 5.06 CARATS
QUALITY: VERY FINE / CLEAN
CUT: PEAR
COLOR: GREEN
LUSTRE: VERY FINE
TREATMENT: NONE

My next project was supposed to be the sapphire/spess. ring, but if you guys think this stone looks good, maybe I can squeeze it in to the holiday budget!
11.gif

PER256B.jpeg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
love the title of the thread fatafelice!
27.gif

i am very curious as to what that peridot looks like in real life...i have a feeling it is not much like the picture. that''s not to say it won''t be beautiful, i just don''t think that picture is an accurate representation at all. if you are comfortable with the company and they have a good return policy..why not? then again, if this purchase will in any way slow you down on the ring project, then i say no way!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Now that stone with a prong set halo, oh that could be dreamy! If the color is that grass green it would be to die for, if the color is off does that count as a reason to return it? Do they have a restocking fee? S&H?
I do like it, and the cut is neat too.
18.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Oh I will be getting this one (I wish!).
Peridot22.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, M'am!

That is great peridot color if there ever was... not the usual washed out lime yellow-green
7.gif

You have not mentioned the price, but I would not be surprised if this was an order of magnitude more expensive than the 'usual' $1/ct for the bead shop-quality. It is not only that fine clor peridot is rare, but there is all this other stuff sold a dime a dozen. About the same situation as aquamarine - one may never guess what the best looks like judging just by the usual almost-colorless commercial fare.

And the cut!

One comlaine about Burmese peridot is that it can be 'sleepy' - not this one. You've got quite a piece.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Mmmmm, prong set with a halo...great minds think alike!
2.gif

I just emailed the seller to further inquire about their return policy, but it is pretty last minute, so I don''t know if I will hear back in time. They only have one neg. feedback out of about 1600, but that one mentions the lack of a return policy. This is what their listing says:

Returns: We request you ask any questions prior to bidding. Should for some reason there be an error in our representation please notify us immediately and we will refund the bid price. Clearance and mixed parcel lots are sold as is and all sales are final

So I have asked my questions and I will see if I hear back.

As for that step cut from Burma Partners, I would love to own it or one like it, but I''m scared to contact them to find out how much they are asking for those amazing colored stones!

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock

I adore this peridot, though I''d make it a pendant, not a giant ring!

I actually emailed them to ask about the price or this as soon as they put it up...before they had gotten all the info posted. Unfortunately, to make it mine, I would have to give up on getting an e-ring and eating for the next year.
39.gif

giantstepcutperidot25.jpg

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Ana! I thought it looked pretty good, too, but I am definitely still a novice. The price is at about $50/ct., but it is an auction, so it could go up. That seems reasonable to me for such a nice color, but I don''t really have much to compare it to. How high should I go?

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: belle
love the title of the thread fatafelice!
27.gif
Heehee....me too! Sounds like something I''d write!
20.gif
Of course I wanted to jump right in and say: "GO FOR IT!". (It''s called ''enabling''...isn''t it?)

It sure is gorgeous, fatafelice! Have you talked to the vendor about this stone? Have you found any similar material on the web so that you can compare prices? (I sometimes think "too good a deal" is a headsup that something is amiss..)

The color is indeed remarkable, and I imagine rather rare...

If you''re comfortable with the return policy, I''d check it out...

Keep us posted!
1.gif

widget

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/17/2005 5:56:46 PM
Author: fatafelice

The price is at about $50/ct., but it is an auction, so it could go up. That seems reasonable to me for such a nice color, but I don't really have much to compare it to. How high should I go?

Hell, I don't know either... the best I can do is find some examples, and let it go up until the other alternative becomes more tempting.

Online, that's not too bad a proposition, as long as you know a couple of reliable shop's listings. In your shoes
1.gif
with the auction at hand, I might be looking at these for ref:

1peri689.jpg
1peri577.jpg
Try THIS LINK for two more a bit more expensive per carat but
7cts / $500 6cts / $500 comparable with yours in terms of fine cut and,
as much as i can guess, color. And why not THIS ONE. I don't find
these cheap, just palatable for some rather beautiful stones.

On top of a couple references, you must know what is your top offer and what the unique appeal that makes that one the best choice for you should be worth.

Even if not all of them are appealing because of shape, size or shades of color, as long as you know the relevant quality details makes the examples roughly comparable, choice makes a pretty good ballpark. This probably sounds lame, but what else? Collecting price references seems to be a complicated hobby requiring year-round attention to gem fares, rough sales and fashion... No way, it is too demanding for me to look for anything but a couple of things I happen to be interested in. I am afraid peridot has not been on that list
7.gif

38.gif
I should probably apologize already to every seller of period reading this forum. However, I never intended to 'arbitrage' prices for such unique objects. If it is not fare game for cut-by-numbers (SIC!) RBC diamonds, it can't make sense for fancy-color, fancy-cut anything.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Ha! I''ve been eyeing that oval at Lapilla as well! I just prefer something a little less, well, oval
20.gif
. But the cut and color does seem nice. I forgot about that one for price comparison''s sake...thanks for reminding me! I have been checking around, too, and I figure if it doesn''t go too high (and it actually looks a little like the pictures), then it will be a deal I am comfortable with.

I''ll let you all know how it goes in a few hours!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/17/2005 7:40:32 PM
Author: Pricescope
I think it''s an Almond, fatafelice
Ahhhh! That thing is deadly....

BAD, bad idea to drop down the bait in a pool of gold-loving sharks
11.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... which reminds me
2.gif

(right: a pin? from R.W. Wise Goldsmiths, and left detail from a trademark rough setting by Roy King)

RWwiseGoldsmithsDES.JPG

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Well, it looks like you all get to help me figure out how to set this baby!
36.gif

I won the auction at a cost of about $70/carat (if you include shipping) and I think that is pretty good...So long as it looks amazing when it arrives. If not, hopefully the seller will be cooperative. Luckily, I think I''m covered by paypal buyer protection for this one, just in case! Would it be worth it to get it appraised? Do I need a special appraiser for colored gemstones? Oh, I definitely haven''t thought this through! LOL
3.gif

I am so excited now! I will try and post pics when I get it, but my digital camera is still MIA.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
I didn''t know there was a name for this kind of cut! "Almond" definitely sounds more interesting than pear!
31.gif

I have been looking for this kind of shape in a great color forever (well, two years or so). There are so many options! Do you think I can get away with a white metal since it is a less yellow-toned stone? I like YG, but I don''t wear much of it...I do think that setting is very cool, though!

widget

Ideal_Rock
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Oh, goody!
36.gif

You''d better find that camera! A lot of us will be impatiently waiting to see it!

I wonder if you need to get it "appraised" per se....couldn''t a jewelry store gemologist just confirm that it''s a natural peridot without too much trouble or expense??

widget

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/17/2005 9:46:32 PM
Author: fatafelice

Do you think I can get away with a white metal since it is a less yellow-toned stone?

Hell, a white paperclip would do too! ''Guess it will need to be a customized paper clip for the unusual shape, but... it would be hard to end up with an ugly piece of jewelry considering the start!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results