shape
carat
color
clarity

I never knew Mahenge can fetch this price??!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the price jumps up exponentially above a certain carat size, and the stone is also very clean, although it is a bit too purplish for my taste. I like pinkish red stones. I do know that clean stones do go for premium these days. People seem to want to pay a ton for super clean stones from what my friend told me when she went to Tuscon. I don't get it personally. Colored stones are not white diamonds, so I don't understand why people fret so much over loupe clean all the time.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with TL. I think it is a combination of the size and the clarity, because the color doesn't look to be the more popular red or bright red/pink.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
When I was searching for a spess I wanted inclusions. I had to have Loliondo! I just love the sugar inclusions that gave off the dreamy glow. Maybe it's just the ideal, super ideal, ultra premium type of thinking.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That might have size, but it certainly is not any where close to top color if that photo is accurate. However, I guess there are those who are willing to pay for the size and the cache of a Mahenge these days. We wouldn't, but then again we've seen the best with all the beauties around here... ;))

Dioptase

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The stone is pretty large, clean and well cut. Add the fact that spinel is scarce and highly sought after nowadays and you have your answer.
Honestly, the price asked is totally fair (7500/ct) and top red go for way more than that now.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i agree.
pricescopers enjoy the hunt and are looking for a bargain.
others go to the mall and buy whatever.
then there are the real collectors that want a world class stone.
no right, no wrong. all comes down to budget, desire, and what is pleasing to the eye.
and yes there really is a differrence between a $7500/carat stone and a $1000/carat stone.
but this has been argued to death already here at pricescope.

ColoredStonesLady

Rough_Rock
Is it just me, or has the price for ALL the finer colored gemstones gone up wildly in the past 6 - 12 months ?? I was looking at some Mahenge last year and dragged my feet for too long... now I can't seem to afford great ones!! I only have myself to be mad at. :angryfire: What's driving this trend anyway?

Perhaps I should start a list of colored stones that aren't so popular and thus still affordable at the moment...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ColoredStonesLady|1330162087|3134045 said:
Is it just me, or has the price for ALL the finer colored gemstones gone up wildly in the past 6 - 12 months ?? I was looking at some Mahenge last year and dragged my feet for too long... now I can't seem to afford great ones!! I only have myself to be mad at. :angryfire: What's driving this trend anyway?

Perhaps I should start a list of colored stones that aren't so popular and thus still affordable at the moment...

I think so. My friend who went to Tuscon told me that even the very orange unsaturated "mahenge" are going for a lot of money, which is too bad. I think the hype of the original find is driving up the prices on inferior colored material, as the Brazilian paraiba find did to inferior and washed out African cuprians. I no longer buy mahenge because I don't like much of the new material being offered, especially for the prices. It's too orange and/or purple for me.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1330158301|3134028 said:
i agree.
pricescopers enjoy the hunt and are looking for a bargain.
others go to the mall and buy whatever.
then there are the real collectors that want a world class stone.
no right, no wrong. all comes down to budget, desire, and what is pleasing to the eye.
and yes there really is a differrence between a $7500/carat stone and a $1000/carat stone.
but this has been argued to death already here at pricescope.

Honestly, I much rather have a smaller stone with better color, and even included (which you can find for less money per carat), than a $7500/carat stone that's just large and clean. The color is pretty on the stone that is the subject of this thread, but it doesn't knock my socks off. If all you're paying for here is size and clarity, I don't think $7500/ct is worth it. JMO

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
that's you and your priority.
its not the same priority for everyone. notice i mentioned that?
we also only have a picture on a monitor to judge by.
we all know that until one sees a stone IRL, there is no way to know if the stone is as pictured.

its good that you have your priorities and know what you want in a stone. not everyone does.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1330184758|3134202 said:
that's you and your priority.
its not the same priority for everyone. notice i mentioned that?
we also only have a picture on a monitor to judge by.
we all know that until one sees a stone IRL, there is no way to know if the stone is as pictured.

its good that you have your priorities and know what you want in a stone. not everyone does.

True, the photo is all we have to judge it by, but considering I have seen way more saturated photos on that site going for less money (clarity and carat weight being about equal), I have to assume that the prices just jumped. Also relaying what my friend told me about Tuscon and the orangy stones going for so much money, I thought it was important to tell people about that. I always feel that the buyer should beware of hype and prices that are inflated for inferior material. Not saying that the Swala gem is inferior, but it does seem a lot more expensive than stones I've seen of better saturation and color in the recent past on his site. I think the time to buy mahenges has past, and you'll be lucky to get an "old stone" for a good price.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I looked at the link stone again on my laptop monitor and it looks to be a different color than it does on my desktop, so based on the price they are charging, it very likely IS top color IRL and it definitely looks to be a very clean stone. For anyone who has purchased or seen a mahenge in either the red, pink/red or bright pink, you know they can look much different in person from the photos. Sometimes much better, sometimes, not.

I was speaking with Jaimeen (Prima Gems) at the last Intergem show about his mahenges. He goes to Arusha himself to buy his stones and he told me that the reason he gets the prices he does (which I think are quite reasonable compared to what I have seen recently) is because he buys large lots of stones which include excellent stones and way less expensive (and less desirable) stones and that way he gets a better price point on the nicer ones. If he were to just cherry pick the best of the best, they would be a lot more money. He has a large inventory of mahenges and they vary greatly in price depending on the size and quality.

He also told me that one lot of stones he bought were top color, but had more inclusions, and a different lot were much cleaner, but the color wasn't quite as good. I disagree with TL that the time to buy mahenges has past, however, I do agree that getting a good stone for a few hundred dollars (unless it is quite small) is probably only a memory. Jaimeen sold his stones at Tuscon on the wholesale side and he said they were well received....who knows what the retailers who bought from him will charge :(sad

I do have to say that he had 5 large bright neon reddish/pink - pear shaped mahenges (no purple or orange to my eyes) for sale that were between just over 4ct and just under 6ct (5.94). The most expensive of the lot was 4.96 and was quite clean (although it did have some inclusions) but the color was excellent and the luster was unbelievable. The larger stone has a great color and excellent saturation, but it was much more included and so it was less money than the 4.96ct. My favorite of the group was 4.42ct. It was in the middle of the pricing of the five due to the fact that it did have visible inclusions, but it was so neon that you barely noticed them IRL.

As far as the asking price on the linked stone, if anyone has $50,000 they want to spend on a mahenge, please contact Prima Gems first, they have a couple that are gorgeous and HUGE!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
colorluvr|1330188145|3134244 said:
I looked at the link stone again on my laptop monitor and it looks to be a different color than it does on my desktop, so based on the price they are charging, it very likely IS top color IRL and it definitely looks to be a very clean stone. For anyone who has purchased or seen a mahenge in either the red, pink/red or bright pink, you know they can look much different in person from the photos. Sometimes much better, sometimes, not.

I was speaking with Jaimeen (Prima Gems) at the last Intergem show about his mahenges. He goes to Arusha himself to buy his stones and he told me that the reason he gets the prices he does (which I think are quite reasonable compared to what I have seen recently) is because he buys large lots of stones which include excellent stones and way less expensive (and less desirable) stones and that way he gets a better price point on the nicer ones. If he were to just cherry pick the best of the best, they would be a lot more money. He has a large inventory of mahenges and they vary greatly in price depending on the size and quality.

He also told me that one lot of stones he bought were top color, but had more inclusions, and a different lot were much cleaner, but the color wasn't quite as good. I disagree with TL that the time to buy mahenges has past, however, I do agree that getting a good stone for a few hundred dollars (unless it is quite small) is probably only a memory. Jaimeen sold his stones at Tuscon on the wholesale side and he said they were well received....who knows what the retailers who bought from him will charge :(sad

I do have to say that he had 5 large bright neon reddish/pink - pear shaped mahenges (no purple or orange to my eyes) for sale that were between just over 4ct and just under 6ct (5.94). The most expensive of the lot was 4.96 and was quite clean (although it did have some inclusions) but the color was excellent and the luster was unbelievable. The larger stone has a great color and excellent saturation, but it was much more included and so it was less money than the 4.96ct. My favorite of the group was 4.42ct. It was in the middle of the pricing of the five due to the fact that it did have visible inclusions, but it was so neon that you barely noticed them IRL.

As far as the asking price on the linked stone, if anyone has $50,000 they want to spend on a mahenge, please contact Prima Gems first, they have a couple that are gorgeous and HUGE!

Okay, I suspect a lot of dealers buy from Jaimeen and jack the prices way way way up. I haven't been to his booth in about a year, but the last time I was there, the prices were decent and he had some nice stones. I can't comment on what his prices are today, but if you say they're great, then I believe you. :bigsmile:

You know, the other important thing to mention, which you bring up, is that the more middemen in a transaction, the higher the price will be, and Jaimeen gets his stones from as close to the source as possible.

ETA: Jaimeen has awesome tsavorites for great prices too.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1330188357|3134249 said:
[You know, the other important thing to mention, which you bring up, is that the more middemen in a transaction, the higher the price will be, and Jaimeen gets his stones from as close to the source as possible.

ETA: Jaimeen has awesome tsavorites for great prices too.

Yes he does :naughty:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I am happy for you to have the opportunity to see all these great vendors first hand at Intergem, I have to whine and say it really bothers me that every Intergem vendor highly recommended here does not come to my local Intergem! Prima, Vance, FGS - why don't any of them come to San Francisco?!!

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a Westcoater and just move to the East Coast last summer, so I feel your pain. I only heard about Intergem a little over a year ago (when I was living in the Portland, OR area) and that year, they didn't have a show there.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prices of ALL gemstones have gone up, regardless of quality. Prices of fine gemstones have gone through the roof. ;( Sad to say, I cannot make myself buy anymore Mahenges, knowing what I paid for mine is a fraction of today's pricing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results