shape
carat
color
clarity

I need a mahenge spinel (its all your fault so please help)

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok...I am about to make a total impulse buy all because of the pictures and stories here...I should've stayed on my tourmaline post to stay out of trouble :wall:

Been chatting with Yvonne on etsy who I found from various references here...also looked at prima gems. Yvonne seems very patient and wonderful in answering my questions - so I would like to give her my business. On the other hand, I need to be somewhat educated before I jump.

I'm thinking about this one - a bit out of my price range but I don't want to spend less and just want to upgrade later. Magenta seems harder to find and is my favorite crayola color :) But don't know anything about cushion cut where the weight (which adds to the cost) seems to be more on the bottom.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/194677904/sale-magenta-colored-mahenge-cushion-119?ref=related-0

This one is neon pink but saturated - smaller carat but same face size but almost half the price:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/194371109/sale-neon-pink-mahenge-spinel-oval?ref=related-2

Or should I just do the prudent thing and wait (which I am not good at, lol).

I usually like larger stones but will still pick brilliance and fire over size. Want something the really makes a statement (like my Paraibas). Will mahenge's do that? I have some small high quality diamonds in an old setting that I can reuse to put towards a setting.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Re: I need a mahenge spinel (its all your fault so please he

I am totally unimpressed by these.
Please wait.
Look at many stones and get totally educated before you buy. That is what you are here for anyway, right?
Since you already missed the Mahenge boat by a few years you dont have to jump at the first stone you see that is advertized with the buzzword. Save your money, get a good stone at a fair price. There are no bargains left on those.
Consider second hand, eg. from loupe troupe or bistro, even if it needs a recut to be what it should.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Agreed...thank you. Going to another Intergem show next month so I can see what they have there as well.

To be honest, my budget right now is blown on jewelry and I shouldn't be buying something that will still be there in a few months. With my kids finally out of college, I've only been able to look at buying again in the past year and I've been kind of like a kid in a candy store when it comes to jewelry.

I missed the Paraiba boat by a decade or two. Then they were nowhere to be found in my price range...was lucky enough to find a ring with smaller stones. So I kind of panicked when I read the newer lots aren't the magenta color.

I really should stay off this site...I keep closing browser window every time my husband walks by :shhh:

katharath

Ideal_Rock

The first gem is the harder to find color for sure, IMO. The issue with the gems from those older parcels (I've owned four, one which was extremely similar to that cushion actually in color, cut, and even size) is that the cutting causes extinction. The color is really beautiful, but the cut makes it harder to appreciate. That particular gem would probably be really lovely in color but have some extinction issues. Also, it faces up smaller than I'd like to see for being over a carat. The price is pretty much just what you pay for that color of mahenge now, so it is what it is. The thing is that the color is so hard to find, that for some people, it's worth the trade off in a less than perfect cut. (FYI - the mahenge of mine that you liked on LT was from one of these older parcels, but it was recut. That gem is sold so this is not me trying to advertise :) )

The second gem shows half and half extinction but that's common in ovals. The color is very pretty, but not super hard to find. If it isn't the size you want, I'd wait.

I buy a lot from Yvonne (she, Dana, and Barry are my top favorite sellers), and IMO her gems are often better than the photos. Her photos tend to downplay, I think. So there's that to consider as well. She has a solid return policy which I know from experience :). The nice thing is that she's having a sale right now, but I wouldn't rush into buying just bc of that. However if you do, you can always return if you're not happy.

You could check out gemfix too but I didn't see anything really amazing there right now mahenge wise. It could be a long search, sometimes that's just what it is.

Oh but to answer one of your questions - yes I think mahenges make a great statement!! They're among my two favorite types of gems.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just to share my experience with buying Mahenge spinel from Yvonne (albeit already set in a 5-stone ring).

The Mahenge round I got had pretty awesome color that I loved (please take my opinion as just take, my personal opinion. I would add the caveat that I haven't seen other Mahenge in real life, just the ones from Yvonne.). However after a week or so, the cut of the stone started to bother me. It has a noticeable window/extinction right in the middle like the "Fish eye" if you look at the stone straight on. If you tilt the ring, it isn't as bad... still.. but I love the color and it was on sale, so I'm keeping it for now.

uploadfromtaptalk1404469626610.jpg

I've also looked at the loose Mahenges that Yvonne has up, and I am confused whether the extinction (1/2 - 1/2) that shows up on most photos of her stones is due to the photography method or if it is due to the stones' cut. I would be very bothered by this type of extinction if it were present most of the time in RL, but that is just my personal preference.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lilmosun|1405912029|3717348 said:
Agreed...thank you. Going to another Intergem show next month so I can see what they have there as well.

To be honest, my budget right now is blown on jewelry and I shouldn't be buying something that will still be there in a few months. With my kids finally out of college, I've only been able to look at buying again in the past year and I've been kind of like a kid in a candy store when it comes to jewelry.

I missed the Paraiba boat by a decade or two. Then they were nowhere to be found in my price range...was lucky enough to find a ring with smaller stones. So I kind of panicked when I read the newer lots aren't the magenta color.

I really should stay off this site...I keep closing browser window every time my husband walks by :shhh:

I have the same problem as you...... I feel like when I watch those brainless TV shows and movies that my husband disapproves of (ie. anything with Benedict Cumberbatch in it) . That is why I use my smartphone to check PS!!! the screen is smaller so other people cannot see :naughty: :naughty:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks katharath - I think that coming home and realizing I'd missed out on buying your lovely re-cut stone triggered my "need to buy now" attack. And your comments about the cut of the magenta stone nailed my reasons for not jumping on it, so thank you. Is having a stone re-cut expensive (relative to the cost of these stones?)

And michiko - love the color of your mahenge. I was wondering if the extinction, especially on the oval, was that blatant IRL or it was the lighting as it would bother me as well. I don't want to buy and have regrets...so need to learn to be patient. I've regretted a couple of my impulse purchases over the past year (but fortunately not most).

My husband told a neighbor that its like I've become a Christmas tree in need of more ornaments :doh:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lilmosun|1405916360|3717374 said:
Thanks katharath - I think that coming home and realizing I'd missed out on buying your lovely re-cut stone triggered my "need to buy now" attack. And your comments about the cut of the magenta stone nailed my reasons for not jumping on it, so thank you. Is having a stone re-cut expensive (relative to the cost of these stones?)

And michiko - love the color of your mahenge. I was wondering if the extinction, especially on the oval, was that blatant IRL or it was the lighting as it would bother me as well. I don't want to buy and have regrets...so need to learn to be patient. I've regretted a couple of my impulse purchases over the past year (but fortunately not most).

My husband told a neighbor that its like I've become a Christmas tree in need of more ornaments :doh:

Love this!! and does he mean the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree?? :shifty: :shifty:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Oh my. This should become the motto for all regular PSers! Truer words and all that....

I like the cushion more, but I agree, I think you should wait.

(Mahengitis is the technical term for the burning desire for instant gratification to acquire one or more hot pink Mahenge spinels. Just an FYI. :angel: )

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

FrekeChild|1405918502|3717383 said:
Oh my. This should become the motto for all regular PSers! Truer words and all that....

I like the cushion more, but I agree, I think you should wait.

(Mahengitis is the technical term for the burning desire for instant gratification to acquire one or more hot pink Mahenge spinels. Just an FYI. :angel: )

..and it is definitely very, very contagious!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lilmosun,
In light of the recent "CS is the Wild West" threads, I am only commenting on these two because you have not purchased them and stated that you want to make an educated purchase. Based on the prices shown, I would guess that your budget is around the $500 range and that you are looking for a hot magenta spinel as close to 1 ct as possible. Yes, it is possible and will take some time and patience. I know CSers here will try their best to get the best stone for your budget and requirements.

Magenta cushion: Nice rich and strong saturation but as others have stated, I don't know if you can overlook that dark banding. The cut, other than that, looks nice.

Pink oval: Pleasant pink but has more extinction and more easily seen tilt window.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Could be eye clean and Prima often times will discount the stone if you ask. Not top colour but still a very good colour for the price and very well cut. If you want to follow up on this one, please CALL Prima ASAP, or it could no longer be available within hours. Posting suggestions in CS runs the risk of a quicker sale for the vendor, and not necessarily to those we are trying to help.
https://www.primagemsusa.com/content/spinel-21

alexah

Brilliant_Rock

mochiko42|1405915931|3717372 said:
lilmosun|1405912029|3717348 said:

I have the same problem as you...... I feel like when I watch those brainless TV shows and movies that my husband disapproves of (ie. anything with Benedict Cumberbatch in it) . That is why I use my smartphone to check PS!!! the screen is smaller so other people cannot see :naughty: :naughty:

Minor threadjack first: I've heard of Benedict Cumberbatch but have never seen him in anything and then 5 mins after I skimmed this thread, saw this - a trailer for a movie with him in it - it looks interesting:
http://www.vulture.com/2014/07/cumberbatch-stars-in-the-imitation-game-trailer.html?mid=twitter_vulture

:wavey:

Back to the OP, if it makes you feel better (it may not - if not, Sorry!), it took me almost a year of looking to pull the trigger on a Mahenge Spinel. When I finally found the color I was coveting, it was a sleepy spinel but the color :love: It was worth the wait!

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock

Hey Lilmosun

I sent an email to my Sri Lanka vendor - he has a Mahenge lot - top neon pink - around 0.8 - 1,5 ct.
Will post what he has to offer if o.k. for you.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks all for the chuckles and info. So after going to bed feeling like I escaped another impulse buy, you guys are back enabling me :dance:

Marlow|1405975726|3717824 said:
Hey Lilmosun

I sent an email to my Sri Lanka vendor - he has a Mahenge lot - top neon pink - around 0.8 - 1,5 ct.
Will post what he has to offer if o.k. for you.

Would be very interested to see what he has to offer...thank you Marlow!

Chrono - the stone was already out by time I called this morning. They have two stones they are recommending - a little more than what I wanted to spend (even after a slight discount) but was told they were both stunning. I will post pictures in a bit (with their permission). The good news is that they have a booth at the InterGem show and willing to hold a stone for me until the one I am attending next month. I don't want them holding a stone unless I am fairly certain its the one I want to buy, I have to get educated quickly. So any advice and comparison shopping is appreciated.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

spinel_1_0.jpg

Here is one they said was neon pink - eye clean. I was surprised it was as much as the one they called magenta - but they said neon pink was more popular and harder for them to get (which is different than my understanding). I thought it was beautiful but since I wanted a magenta to compare it to since that was what I originally was looking for. They provided a side by side picture and the stone looked orange but she assured me there was no orange in the stone.

https://primagemsusa.com/index.php?q=content/119-carats-natural-mahenge-spinel

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here is one they said was magenta. I have to admit, I was a little disappointed that it didn't speak to me like the neon pink stone but she said that it was of equal quality (slightly larger).

mahenge_1_35.jpg

To be fair in comparing pictures - this is enlarged from what she sent me which was a more distant shot. She said she would send some closeups tomorrow.

Still on the fence - the pictures pale next to those of katharath's tone-- but that's gone :wall:

https://primagemsusa.com/index.php?q=content/135-cts-natural-mahenge-spinel

MelodySaw

Shiny_Rock

can I post some Mahenge Spinel photos I just took?

mahenge_spinel_b.jpg
I took the stone out from a cotton pad and forgot to clean.

maheng_spniel_859dac5a10_b.jpg

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Very pretty and thank you for sharing! Do you have plans for it?

At this point, I am not set on a certain cut...just didn't want a bottom heavy stone since they are priced by the carat and my budget is limited. So I need something that really flashes with good saturation given the stone won't be large (for me).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lilmosun|1405987337|3717938 said:
Here is one they said was magenta. I have to admit, I was a little disappointed that it didn't speak to me like the neon pink stone but she said that it was of equal quality (slightly larger).

mahenge_1_35.jpg

To be fair in comparing pictures - this is enlarged from what she sent me which was a more distant shot. She said she would send some closeups tomorrow.

Still on the fence - the pictures pale next to those of katharath's tone-- but that's gone :wall:

https://primagemsusa.com/index.php?q=content/135-cts-natural-mahenge-spinel

When I hear "Mahenge spinel," I have come to understand it's a term like "Paraiba tourmaline," and represents a more hot pink stone, just like "Paraiba" means "neon blue/green." I am not by any means putting down this stone, but it's not what many people think of when the term "Mahenge spinel" comes to mind. Perhaps Prima is using the term Mahenge to describe the location, rather than the hot pink moniker that it has come to signify. :confused:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lilmosun|1405986988|3717934 said:
spinel_1_0.jpg

Here is one they said was neon pink - eye clean. I was surprised it was as much as the one they called magenta - but they said neon pink was more popular and harder for them to get (which is different than my understanding). I thought it was beautiful but since I wanted a magenta to compare it to since that was what I originally was looking for. They provided a side by side picture and the stone looked orange but she assured me there was no orange in the stone.

This is a nicer stone than the other Prima one you posted.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

TL|1406000278|3718056 said:
spinel_1_0.jpg

Yes - this is the first one that I really liked but is the color good for a mahenge? I would be interested to see what Marlow's vendor has in comparison.

Prima's magenta confused me because the color didn't compare to Yvonne's. (Yvonne kindly offered to send the magenta stone with Prima to the gem show - really awesome - I love the color just wish it didn't have the other issues).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lilmosun|1406002391|3718071 said:
TL|1406000278|3718056 said:
spinel_1_0.jpg

Yes - this is the first one that I really liked but is the color good for a mahenge? I would be interested to see what Marlow's vendor has in comparison.

Prima's magenta confused me because the color didn't compare to Yvonne's. (Yvonne kindly offered to send the magenta stone with Prima to the gem show - really awesome - I love the color just wish it didn't have the other issues).

I went through and returned a lot of Mahenge spinels before I found one that knocked my socks off. You may have to view a lot of Mahenge spinel before you decide on which one you love. In the meantime, I would look through the CS forum for various Mahenge threads, with pictures, to compare what you like, for your taste.

I will just say this, a fine Mahenge spinel shouldn't look like a rhodolite garnet. I love nice rhodolites, so don't get me wrong, but a good Mahenge should look like a very saturated pink or pinkish red in color in sunlight, and rhodolites are more of a purplish pink or a purplish red and really don't glow in the sun, which fine Mahenges tend to do (UV fluor). I've seen "Mahenge spinels" that look a lot like rhodolites, so this is why I'm giving this advice. A good Mahenge should have strong UV fluor, so I would check that as well, and it shouldn't go brownish under fluorescent light, but stay a nice saturated orangy red under fluroescents. They do shift to a more orangy red or orangy pink color under that kind of lighting. Some Mahenges are orangy red or orangy pink under sunlight as well, but I was told that the most coveted color is pinkish red, by a reputable vendor of these stones. If you like orangy red or pink though, that's your prerogative.

Good luck, and I hope you find something beautiful.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Take it from a girl who has been around the Mahenge block a time or two: you're gonna have to kiss a few toads before you find your prince. Really when it comes to finding the right Mahenge for you, you really do have to see them in person to know for sure. Unfortunately they're a very popular stone and it's hard to find really good quality material these days. When/if you do decide to look at some, be prepared to be a little disappointed at first. It's a big learning curve.

That being said, there are a few on Prima that I think are really pretty (my taste). This one is small'ish but it's also less expensive. I think it would be an awesome neon red in person, but I'm sure Prima would take other photos for you if you asked: https://primagemsusa.com/content/096-cts-natural-spinel

This one looks like it might have potential too

https://primagemsusa.com/content/104-carats-natural-mahenge-spinel

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

athenaworth|1406003721|3718080 said:
I agree with TL, you should look at other people's mahenges before you decide what you really want. Here's some damn good eye candy for your viewing pleasure [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-mahenge-spinels.138168/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-mahenge-spinels.138168/[/URL]

Looking at the other eye candy is what got me in this mess in the first place :tongue:

But I hear you TL - the pink one from prima doesn't quite have the color I was looking for - pretty but on the screen not as unique. I specifically told Prima that I wanted one more on the red side not orange. They sent a picture of the pink one next to their so-called magenta and I commented that the pink one looked more towards the orange, but they said it didn't at all IRL.

Athenaworth - funny, the pear shaped one was the one I picked out and asked Yvonne if she thought it might be more on the magenta side.

This is quite the education (again) I am getting and appreciate everyone's help in my quest.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree that the pink oval looks brighter and more intense than the magenta oval. How about looking through the SMTMahenge and pick out several stones with colouration that you like and want, then share that with Prima. It's easier than trying to say medium slightly purplish pink with strong saturation. ;))

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock

My vendor sold them all! Sorry!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Prima's photos are often quite different from the actual stone. You have to really be able to stand back and take in the whole thing before you can really determine what they're going to look like. As an example, I'm attaching a picture of mine that Prima sent to me and then my picture. You can see that there's quite a difference. I purchased this ring based on Prima's description which was spot on.

mahengeprima.jpg

mahengemine.jpg

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Marlow - thanks so much for checking - I appreciate it!!

Here are the pictures they sent of the magenta stone.

magenta_spinel_2.jpg

magenta_spinel_2.jpg

Yvonne has been messaging me offering to help - she really is so nice. I wish she had a stone I wanted (although I may try to get something from her later - I really believe in loyalty to good vendors).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results