shape
carat
color
clarity

I like imperfections.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like imperfections.

I like stones that speak to me. They don't all speak the same language by any means.

I like gray stones. I like stones that have less than perfect cuts. I like stones with inclusions. I like stones that are cheap. I like stones that other people wouldn't look at twice. I like stones with descriptors like: wonky, weird, funky, strange or "corpse colored". I like black stones. I like white stones.

I like stones that are NOT what the trade thinks is ideal.

I am proud to wear my freak flag. Or freke, as it were.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
AGREED! (except the corpse colored part....)

I think once you know about stones and how they came to be, you really begin to admire the "freaks." I have a horribly included watermelon tourm that I just love!

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
FrekeChild|1297552077|2850271 said:
I like imperfections.

I like stones that speak to me. They don't all speak the same language by any means.

I like gray stones. I like stones that have less than perfect cuts. I like stones with inclusions. I like stones that are cheap. I like stones that other people wouldn't look at twice. I like stones with descriptors like: wonky, weird, funky, strange or "corpse colored". I like black stones. I like white stones.

I like stones that are NOT what the trade thinks is ideal.

I am proud to wear my freak flag. Or freke, as it were.
Have you thought about going into teaching? :)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pink Tower|1297552886|2850277 said:
Have you thought about going into teaching? :)
Nope. Well yes, but no.

And since every thread needs pictures....

Please feel free to add your own "imperfect" stones.

IMG_9263 freke.JPG

IMG_1176 freke.jpg

gray spinel diffused cloudy skies freke.jpg

Blue green tourmaline with weird inclusion.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
They gray spinel is one of my favorites. Just love it. I like the inclusions in the mahenge too..like little bubbles. Did you decide to keep the denim blue I hope?

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
The inclusions in the pink are gorgeous. Strawberry like.
Here is my ruby. I wear it every day, I love, love, love it. It is 2.65 carats, and, frankly, I could NEVER have afforded it without the inclusions, so of course I love them. They enabled my purchase.

Img_2103.jpg

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure if this is a grayish stone with a brown modifier or a brownish stone with a gray modifier, :-o but it just may qualify as your "corpse" colored stone! And yes, it is a natural tourmaline. This is what the ebay seller said about it.

tourmaline
(4.3) Stone Weight:
Clarity: VVS1
Cut: Lasered Cushion Cut
Color: Electric Fantasy
Origin: Afghanistan
Size: 11.15 x 9.45 x 7.02
Treatment(s): None

Just calling the color "Electric Fantasy" was enough to make me want it. Yep, and it's been laser cut to boot! None of these photos have been digitally changed and they were all taken with the same lighting set up, I just shadowed the light in a couple of the shots and the stone went from grayish to brownish and in one to almost greenish. A couple of the shots are focused so the "lasered" pavillion shows through and of course the vendor's photo.

fantasy_tourmaline3.JPG

fantasy_tourmaline2.JPG

fantasy_tourmaline.JPG

electric fantasy.JPG

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
More pictures.

Teal tourmaline collage.jpg

IMG_9791 freke.jpg

IMG_7100 freke.jpg

IMG_9101 freke.jpg

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
some more corpse (I mean fantasy) photos

fantasy_tourmaline7.JPG

fantasy_tourmaline6.JPG

fantasy_tourmaline5.JPG

fantasy_tourmaline4.JPG

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
and a few more

fantasy_tourmaline10.JPG

fantasy_tourmaline9.JPG

fantasy_tourmaline8.JPG

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Highly included spessartite garnet and highly included (not top color) copper bearing green tourmaline, but they are both neony IRL and I like them both.

pears.JPG

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
And more...

IMG_7991 cropped.jpg

IMG_8085 freke.jpg

IMG_8087 freke.jpg

IMG_8226 freke.jpg

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Three Tanzanian, highly included (Loliondo????) spessartites which are neony IRL, however the one in the middle is kind of sleepy - can you be sleepy and neony????

spess 030.jpg

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
ok, one more..... my "too light to be considered a valuable emerald" emerald.

I actually lightened this photo to make it the color it is IRL. The actual photo made is look darker (and therefore more valuable, which it's not) but it's a very pretty color of green (to me). Lightening the photo actually dulled the color, but this is close.

emerald.jpg

rubyprincess

Shiny_Rock
So many incredible stones.

Colorluvr: Electric Fantasy colored would be a reason enough for me to buy that beauty. Honestly, it even looks a tad bit haunted which is wicked cool to me.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
rubyprincess|1297557031|2850364 said:
So many incredible stones.

Colorluvr: Electric Fantasy colored would be a reason enough for me to buy that beauty. Honestly, it even looks a tad bit haunted which is wicked cool to me.

:naughty:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Freke, I'm like you, I like what I like. I have my crazy oddities that most people won't but thats ok too! Hell I can't afford ideal colors in MOST stones, which I'm cool with. Besides, if we all liked the same stuff, the gemworld would be a mess...lol

Evn though I have lots of stones I love this one

arc3bluespinel3.jpg

:love: it can be dark and moody sometimes, like its owner, but I love that about it.

I'm looking for a silvery gray spinel, I just haven't found the right one yet.

colorluvr that tourmaline :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: WANT!!!!! :lickout:
-A

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooo the Green Goblin-another favorite!

Colorluvr-I like your weird electric fantasy stone..some of the pictures it looks..not sure the word I'm looking for..velvety kinda.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, but Freke, would you ever buy a stone with a visible window? :Up_to_something:

While most people know I like nicely saturated gems, I'm willing to put up with a window, flaws, imperfect cutting, in order to get decent color. I think we all have to forsake some things because very few of us can afford, or even find, gems with top color, flawless clarity, and expert cutting. It's just near impossible. It's a rare thing when a gem is perfect, so imperfections are just something many of us accept.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I can't afford top color anything. Almost all of my stones are either tiny or imperfect...but so is my camera, so unfortunately I don't have very many pics. I'll repost the ones I already have here. I love them all.

SonSap0.92_1_0.jpg - grayish yellowish green Songea sapphire
22361.jpg - grayish purple/blue color shift spinel
8899311.jpg - "too light" blue zircon
irlaring-jstar.jpg - light lavender tanzanite
mint84garnet1a.jpg - included mint garnet
prasring1-1.jpg - very light prasiolite (which is by definition irradiated)

I'll take precision cutting over top color any day. The imperfections I can't really live with are windows and eye-visible inclusions (except in the mint garnet, because it was the only way I could afford one).

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
jstarfireb - those are some fine looking stones and they have great cuts, but I reallllllyyyyy like the color of the mint - I bet those inclusions don't show up much at all IRL. I have a cute little mint garnet (supposed to be Merelani, but who knows) but it's a tad too light (I like the color of yours better) and it sure doesn't have that "perfect Merelani color", but it's a cute little stone. It also has some funky inclusions going on in the photos, but you can't see them either IRL. The angled photo make it look like it's got some yellow in it, but it doesn't and the other photo is too light, but you get the idea.

merelani.JPG

merelani2.JPG

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Lavender Spinel from Dana

Oregon Sunstone with copper inclusions called schiller

Sphene

LavSpinel629.jpg

SunstonesAug2010  1287.jpg

MCGSphene633.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I like that mint garnet! The first pic shows a cool glow. You're right, the inclusions in my mint garnet aren't that evident in person.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Bubble Veil in another lavender spinel

Moonstone faceted with feather cracks

Red spinel recently posted

LavSpinelDanStairFeb10  780.jpg

Faceted moonstone Aug 2010  1272.jpg

Red Spinel  1369 (1).jpg

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Arcadian|1297557747|2850372 said:
arc3bluespinel3.jpg

:love: it can be dark and moody sometimes, like its owner, but I love that about it.

I like your dark and moody blue spinel! Right now my blue cushion is just dark :errrr: , but maybe a recut will give it a bit of moodiness, or if nothing else, some attitude!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
tourmaline_lover|1297558132|2850377 said:
Yes, but Freke, would you ever buy a stone with a visible window? :Up_to_something:
I have. The oily inclusion tourm above has a window. And the three teal stones in my key are all windowed. I don't have any great photos of them, but they are there.

7 stones with flash freke.jpg

jkt2 key freke windows.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like Kas Baby's wonky red star sapphire she had set into a lotus. Remember, it's that odd oval shape..I just adore that ring!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I want to see more of those lavender spinels Largosmom!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results