carat
color
clarity

I Do Now I Don't (colored stone rings)

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Has anyone heard of this website?

http://www.idonowidont.com/splash2/index.html

Apparently, it was created by a man whose fiance moved out of their shared apartment and left only her engagement ring. It's a place for buyers and sellers of engagement rings and other jewelry.

It says their gemlogist (a G.G.) checks every stone. I see lots of diamonds and colored stones.

Wonder how that works....

cm366

Shiny_Rock
I looked there occasionally a year or two ago but gave it up - always seemed to have near-retail prices on mostly crummy mall jewelry, oversold with LOTS! OF! EXCLAMATION! POINTS! and sad stories. Not sure if their gemologist checks every stone, but he/she certainly doesn't read the descriptions. Many of the posters seemed to know next to nothing about the pieces, though, so maybe it'd be good for eBay-style hunting?

aaronl

Rough_Rock
If you do a basic search you can restrict the results by author - and it becomes apparent that there are a lot of dealers on the site.

My impression of the gemologist's checking stones is that they act as an intermediary, accepting the money from a buyer and the jewelry from the seller, and forward the money only after verifying the gemstones and deducting their fee. But... Look at the absence of information in a typical listing. In most cases there is very little to be verified, and if the absence of treatment is not described in the listing I suspect that heavily treated stones would be approved as consistent with a listing no matter what price was charged.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I occasionally scroll through their listings as well. As others have said, near retail prices and mall qualities, so I rarely see much to be excited about. Too little information in most cases as well.

I also dislike their "everyone is taking advantage of you" spiel. Wow, retailers markup! Wow, pawn shops pay below retail! Wow!

There is also ExBoyfriendJewelry, which works like DiamondBistro or LoupeTroupe: just listings, no intermediaries. A lot of mall jewelry but the prices seem better usually and there are some good bargains to be had on occasion.

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1380228572|3527844 said:
I occasionally scroll through their listings as well. As others have said, near retail prices and mall qualities, so I rarely see much to be excited about. Too little information in most cases as well.

I also dislike their "everyone is taking advantage of you" spiel. Wow, retailers markup! Wow, pawn shops pay below retail! Wow!

There is also ExBoyfriendJewelry, which works like DiamondBistro or LoupeTroupe: just listings, no intermediaries. A lot of mall jewelry but the prices seem better usually and there are some good bargains to be had on occasion.

I just stumbled across the exboyfriendjewelry site and then searched here to see if anyone had mentioned it in the past. I love the tag line

"You don't want it. He can't have it back."

http://www.exboyfriendjewelry.com/index.php

I have some ex-husband jewelry that I don't wear very often, but you guys have given me some great ideas for resets that would erase completely all of the bad memories associated with the rings now. tee hee!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results