shape
carat
color
clarity

I am visiting Prima Gems on Tuesday. What should I expect?

rwillya

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

My girlfriend and I are currently hunting for a Mahenge spinel. We have been working with Yvonne Raley to try and find the perfect stone. We agreed that we like the neon orangey pink stones over the red pink ones. After meeting with Yvonne on Friday, she graciously invited my girlfriend and I to accompany her to Prima Gems on Tuesday. While we are both very excited about going, we are also a little nervous, too. Has anyone ever been to Prima? If so, what is it like? Does anyone have any advice for us? I assume that we will be looking at a great deal of stones and I am really hoping to find that neon orangey pink color in a stone that is clean.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: I am visiting Prima Gems on Tuesday. What should I expec

rwillya|1405896137|3717271 said:
Hi everyone,

My girlfriend and I are currently hunting for a Mahenge spinel. We have been working with Yvonne Raley to try and find the perfect stone. We agreed that we like the neon orangey pink stones over the red pink ones. After meeting with Yvonne on Friday, she graciously invited my girlfriend and I to accompany her to Prima Gems on Tuesday. While we are both very excited about going, we are also a little nervous, too. Has anyone ever been to Prima? If so, what is it like? Does anyone have any advice for us? I assume that we will be looking at a great deal of stones and I am really hoping to find that neon orangey pink color in a stone that is clean.

I have not been there, but I would ask them to let you view the gem in natural light, fluorescent, and incandescent.

Look at a wide variety, not just one or two at a time, to compare colors.

Good luck. Let us know how the visit went.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: I am visiting Prima Gems on Tuesday. What should I expec

I like dealing with Prima.
1. Compare several stones at the same time (3 or so, rotating in/out the ones you want or don't want).
2. View them under various lighting (sunlight, fluorescent, halogen, direct and diffused).
3. Move the stone slowly to see how it catches light, how it changes, and to see any potential cut issues (large tilt window, darkness or extinction, etc).
4. If you are thinking of a bezel or rather enclosed setting, cup the stone in your palm to see how much it darkens up.
5. I like stones with fluorescence, so if you do as well, ask about it. It's not a deal breaker but a nice bonus to have.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results