shape
carat
color
clarity

How would you set this mint tourmaline?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
I just received this (see link at bottom of this post):

I'm not that much into trillions but I've been looking for a mint stone for awhile and it looked nice, so I got it. Looking at in the box, though, it does appear to have a tiny window. I didn't expect that from the vendor's photo.

---

Questions first:

It has some blue flash (which is kind of cool) but is otherwise a true mint green. Is that a (Afgahn) tourmaline thing or just particular to this stone?

Would a mint garnet look much different than a mint tourmaline? How? Higher RI, I guess.

---

I suppose it's more of a ring size than a pendant. Any ideas for a slightly rustic (if possible) looking setting that would not emphasise the trillion shape of it? Would it be good in a bezel? I guess it should go in white gold, not yellow, correct?

Thanks.

www.artcutgems.com/item.php?item_id=675&page=2

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, I know. I''ve been fooling with it for a few minutes now and still can''t get it to post right. I''m making a link from Firefox, and using the last button with the "world" and
chain link".

Sigh. Sorry.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Well, here is the page. Sorry, it''s not linked.

http://www.artcutgems.com/item.php?item_id=675&page=2

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Linky for you http://www.artcutgems.com/item.php?item_id=675&page=2

The blue flash sounds lovely.

In terms of setting - I''m a bit stumped for a setting that would de-emphasize the trilliant cut. The only thing I can think of would be to have part of the setting going over the gemstone itself. A bit like the morganite in a recent thread. My only reservation is that it might be too small and the gemstone could get lost. Of course the shank would have to be different etc etc. Sorry that probably hasn''t helped at all?

pSMC0217-lg.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
pretty stone Sonoma! Sorry I''m no help w/setting ideas!

LD-what thread is that morganite ring in? That''s pretty cool looking!

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks LD & Pack !

Anyone know who does the rustic type bezels at Etsy? I guess de-emphasize may not work so I''d just better go with it. Thanks for the link, btw.

I love the morganite setting. How romantic, intriguing, mysterious ! Do you know who made it?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not all Afghan tourmalines can be considered a mint; it depends on the colour and saturation. To me, a mint must have that blue undertone (or flash) in a light tone, otherwise it isn''t a mint. This one looks quite pretty. Yes, a mint garnet will have more sparkle and less of a window tilt.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I uploaded the picture for those you are too lazy to click on the link.
25.gif

Tourmartcut.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh pretty stone! - how bout any of these? all from Ebay

trillionringsps111.JPG

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
or a simple pendant? total for white gold for 7x7 includes shipping is $49 ish.

tripptrillion17x7pend.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Packrat and sonomacounty - that gorgeous morganite is a 23rd street jewelers piece. Here''s the linky

They''ve got other amazing pieces - one of my favorite sites for eye candy!

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all.

Thanks Chrono. I hold the Chrono stamp of approval in highest regard, so I guess "little green" is really o.k. Also, thanks for uploading the picture. (I'm not that good at those things, although I'd want to learn.)

Thanks so much, D.T., for all the setting help ! Really. You are all great.
1.gif
Actually, I quite like both choices from "pick your gem", aka Tripps. The oval type things on the side of the ring setting, soften the look of the trilliant. I do think this stone would work well as a pendant. That is my favorite use for a trilliant, however, I may do ring as then I can get to look at it. :)

Now, the Etsy setting, while a style I love (a bit rustic/clean perhaps) seems to "harden" the shape of the stone. Trilliants in rings can seem a bit too hard, futuristic (?), to me. Does that make sense?

Celetani, thanks for the link on the morganite. How romantic/intriguing/mysterious and just really cool is that setting ! !

Thanks again, Dear Knowledgeable Friends.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2009 10:52:22 PM
Author: sonomacounty
Thanks all.

Thanks Chrono. I hold the Chrono stamp of approval in highest regard, so I guess ''little green'' is really o.k. Also, thanks for uploading the picture. (I''m not that good at those things, although I''d want to learn.)

Thanks so much, D.T., for all the setting help ! Really. You are all great.
1.gif
Actually, I quite like both choices from ''pick your gem'', aka Tripps. The oval type things on the side of the ring setting, soften the look of the trilliant. I do think this stone would work well as a pendant. That is my favorite use for a trilliant, however, I may do ring as then I can get to look at it. :)

Now, the Etsy setting, while a style I love (a bit rustic/clean perhaps) seems to ''harden'' the shape of the stone. Trilliants in rings can seem a bit too hard, futuristic (?), to me. Does that make sense?

Celetani, thanks for the link on the morganite. How romantic/intriguing/mysterious and just really cool is that setting ! !

Thanks again, Dear Knowledgeable Friends.
welcome sonoma.

lol I do know what you mean about being futuristic looking. I hope you find something that speaks to you in setting, i love trillions myself, but its hard to find settings and always the first thing to my mind is pendant.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
A crossover might work for a small ring stone, and I don''t think they''d be too hard to find (you could maybe even set one in a crossover designed for a round). But I know what you''re saying about the shape - eventhough I really like them loose, I probably wouldn''t choose a trillion stone, cause it''s not easy to incorporate them into jewellery (they limit your options to a point).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know what you are going through too. Trillion settings are so limited and many look too hard edged.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Mr. Ma Re. But, what''s a "crossover"?

Chrono, your avitar is mesmerizing.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe a crossover is sort of a bypass ring (tension look alike)?

Sonoma,
Thanks for the compliment. Is GOG''s OMCs calling your name too yet?
11.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got this from Wink''s website: I wonder if Mr Ma Re meant something like this but for a trillion instead of a round?

winkenclose.jpg

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
--- Is GOG''s OMCs calling your name too yet? ---

Oh, you better believe it.
31.gif

Now, how do you figure this one -

I had discussed OMCs with Jon a long time ago and he had told me of his plans for his signature OMCs. Awhile went by without his coming out yet, so I stop bothering him about it. Then I find the sweetie in my avitar on e-bay for a great price, so I get it. As life goes, a month or two later GOG''s new old cushions come out.
19.gif

While I love "little yellow" (avitar stone) it is a bit fickle in some lights. I do love it being a genuine antique, though. Jon''s new OMCs probably perform better, however. They are also chunkier, which I prefer.

I also have a modern cushion from GOG, that I could trade up, but it performs wonderfully in almost any light. It''s one of those stones that you can see snap and pop from across the room.

I keep tossing around in my head if I really need two antique cuts. The modern cushion is not totally "me" but it basically works.

So, that''s the dilemma. ? ! ?

Thanks for asking and sorry you had to listen to all that. Ideas/opinions welcome.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My previous GOG stone was also a modern cushion that spakles like the dickens. It had awesome optics too but it still tug at my heart as strongly as the OMC because I love antique chunkies even more. I do understand your not wanting 2 OMCs though and having a real old stone is something very special in itself.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mint green grossular is a similar color to that tourmaline, and I love it in yellow gold, which tends to bring out more of the blue in the stone.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks T.L. I didn't realize/know that. :)

So, there it is, Chrono. Some say that when you don't know what to do, you do nothing. That's where I'm at with this.
40.gif

Say, is your OMC more lighting fickle than your modern cushion was?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sonoma,
Not at all. If you look at the ASET, the optics for all light conditions are great, with more emphasis on low light, of course. You name it: halogen, fluorescent, incandescent - it''s a performer all the time. I guess it''s because it is precision cut in a sense.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2009 6:56:16 PM
Author: Chrono
I got this from Wink''s website: I wonder if Mr Ma Re meant something like this but for a trillion instead of a round?
Yup
2.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2009 8:21:36 AM
Author: Chrono
I know what you are going through too. Trillion settings are so limited and many look too hard edged.

I totally agree with you two. Even though they cut some gorgeous stones, trillions are a stone that will probably never end up coming home with me. Finding settings that are not too modern and hard-edged is such a challenge!

ma re''s idea is probably the best I''ve seen yet!

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
--- You name it: halogen, fluorescent, incandescent - it's a performer all the time. I guess it's because it is precision cut in a sense. ---

Way cool !
36.gif

----

Thanks Mr. Ma Re, Ice.

After wrestling with some ideas, I think "mint" may very well end up as a simple pendant. I think trillions make a striking pendant but as a ring are a bit too "Star Trek" looking.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to flag something ....... unless your trilliant is calibrated you may find that it won''t sit correctly in a ready made setting. You have some leaway with some settings but a trilliant is less forgiving.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results